OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 21:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 21:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am currently playing with a Juic NeoAnti (red, 2.0 mm), a remarkable rubber which is capable of producing very heavy backspin in chops and is totally reliable both close to and away from the table, but I got it in red 2.0 mm and I am beginning to wonder if for my kind of game (chopping and attacking on both wings) I wouldn't be even better off with it or something similar in 1.5mm (or perhaps even thinner). The replacement would have to be cheap, though, which means it likely will have to be Chinese. Does anyone has an idea as to how the NeoAnti would compare to e.g. the Giant Dragon Guard (Special)?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 22:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've tried both. The GD Guard is very different. The topsheet is hard as a rock and the sponge is harder and foam-like. The surface does have some grip, but because it's so hard, it's not as easy to generate spin. BLocking against loops is quite good and not affected much by spion, but I found that attacking was not so easy as the hard topsheet it not very forgiving. It's cheap to try though and quite unique, and it does have potential, so it might be worth a try.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 01:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Did you test the 0.4 mm or the 0.8 mm, Haggisv?

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 02:17 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I've tested both Guard .4 and Guard Special 1.2 and 1.8. All are very hard, nothing like Neo Anti. I've tried Neo Anti in 2.0 and got some sheets with 1.0 sponge awhile back, but have never gotten around to testing them.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 06:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Kees wrote:
Did you test the 0.4 mm or the 0.8 mm, Haggisv?

I've tested and reviewed the 0.4,, here:
Giant Dragon Guard Review
I've had a hit with the Guard Special as well on someone else's bat, can't remember what thickness.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 08:01 
Incredible Shrinking Man

I use 1.5 mm black neo anti, neo is a very special anti... nothing like it I think.

Do you think 2.0 mm is to slow for you??

When I use it, I play mid-distance using
729 bomb, it chops and hit very well with OK pace.

But normally I play my beloved D.Techs.... :rock:

Cheers
Geddk

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 16:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks, all!
Geddk wrote:
Quote:
Do you think 2.0 mm is to slow for you??

No. :^) Or maybe, yes; it doesn't counterhit so well if I'm more than 2 or 3 ft away from the table. But my main problem is that it is a bit difficult to deal with quick hits that come in while I'm moving back; I often feel sort of caught when I'm at mid-distance. With the LP I can do a quick chop or chop-block there and generate enough backspin to be safe, or counterhit a high one, and this works well (I use a Dawei 388D, black, 0.7), but with the anti it is a lot harder - sometimes there isn't enough backspin in the chop, sometimes the ball doesn't go deep enough, and counterhitting feels sluggish. It may be in part due to my not being familiar enough with anti yet (I still play with the LP too, using the anti only for practice-matches, trying to get to the same level with it as with the LP), but I thought possibly for effective chopping the thick sponge would require more work (and time to do it in) than would a thinner one... Or red might be less suitable for chopping... Anyhow, Antipip convinced me to give Ellen Def a try, black, 1.5 mm. As soon as I get it I'll glue it to a Tibhar Def Plus blade and see what happens...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 09:58 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Kees, have you tried AntiPower with 1.5 sponge?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 11:27 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I tried it once. I think it was too slow for me...I don't really know why but I couldn't really feel much with the 1.5 sponge. Plus the reversal wasn't that great. I liked neo anti better but those are the only 2 anti's I've tried.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 15:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ilikepie wrote:
Quote:
Kees, have you tried AntiPower with 1.5 sponge?

No, just NeoAnti in 2.0 red. And twice about 15 minutes with Stiga Energy Absorber 2.0 black, but that seemed an attacking anti to me, less suitable for chopping; besides, it was very heavy. Still, the underlying problem may have been the thickness of the sponge, I don't know, playing with anti I am a novice... Trying out the 1.5 black Ellen Def will at least clear up how thickness of sponge affects my play. I'm waiting for it to arrive.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 15:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Neo Anti is pretty light. I always stayed away from Tibhar Ellen because I heard it was heavy.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 16:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

MNNB wrote:
Quote:
Neo Anti is pretty light. I always stayed away from Tibhar Ellen because I heard it was heavy.
I'll soon (I hope) be able to compare their respective weight. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 18:50 

Kees wrote:
I am currently playing with a Juic NeoAnti (red, 2.0 mm), a remarkable rubber which is capable of producing very heavy backspin in chops and is totally reliable both close to and away from the table, but I got it in red 2.0 mm and I am beginning to wonder if for my kind of game (chopping and attacking on both wings) I wouldn't be even better off with it or something similar in 1.5mm (or perhaps even thinner). The replacement would have to be cheap, though, which means it likely will have to be Chinese. Does anyone has an idea as to how the NeoAnti would compare to e.g. the Giant Dragon Guard (Special)?

Looking to slow down my game, I have tried black Guard special 0,6 mm for some months this summer. Placed it on a Stiga defensive wood nct. As expected it is quite hard, but still has some feel to it in the short play, serve returns. Having played with black NeoAnti 2.0 mm for many years, the Guard rubber became too different for me, and I see that it would change my game and I would have to adjust in many ways. That is not impossible, but it would take a lot of time. Guard is great for chopping away from the table, but so is the NeoAnti. To twiddle the Guard and use on forehand is very difficult compared to NeoAnti. Maybe it has more spin reversal, but that does not make it better and more playable than the NeoAnti.

I have played half this seson with black NeoAnti 1.0 mm. The chopblock gets better, and also more control added to chops away from the table. But its so slow :( and I think it looses a lot of feeling when twiddeling and hitting loops and offensive strokes with it. If you like it or not has to do with how your game is. If you primarely use the anti for chops, maybe this is the thing. Then maybe you should get a wood that is faster? I think you will find the NeoAnti in 1.8 mm aswell, but not 100 % sure about that. Maybe thats enough for you to do a little 0,2 mm adjustment? Another thing that is great with NeoAnti is the durability. It lasts for years! That is money saved!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 06:19 

Blade: Hallmark combi
FH: Hurricane 2 red side
BH: Curl P1 r .5. black side
I play 2mm neo in red. It's been my solid def combi rubber for years. The only thing that sometimes niggles me is the weight when matched with my normal rev rubbers (currently juic spin spiel). So, kinda think the 1.5 would relieve some weight from the equation. All in all neo is a super anti. many players struggle with the confusion and change of pace it can produce. Other good loopers can hit through so playing normal reverse side is imperative to counter the strong attacks. Get it right its a winner. Off night it's just junk.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 10:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Neo Anti is actually pretty light, and the very soft sponge very light too, so I'm not sure if changing from 2.0mm to 1.5mm will make a significant difference.