OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: wood for anti?
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 00:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Who among you knows and could explain why which kind of wood combines well with the use of anti?
From my own experience, balsa is out - its spring (more on high impact, less on low inpact) does exactly the opposite of what the sponges of most anti's do and thus neutralizes one of anti-spin rubbers' best/key qualities.
Poplar (as used for Joola Toni Hold Whitespot) combines well, as it is pretty much inert. As it is a soft-wood and loose-fibred it absorbs incoming energy by internal deformation. Also, it is not too heavy (Joola THW baldes weigh about 80 grams). Downside is that it works to make slow loaded spin, but not for fast loaded spin with the inverted.
Willow is related to poplar, but heavier. It is used in Butterfly's classic defense blades, which I have -alas - never tried with anti.
Does anyone know more? I'd like to come up here with thorough advice for anti-users as to which kind of blade to choose.

Post subject: Re: wood for anti?
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 01:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
my teamate uses tsp cito fitter def and chops very well with both the anti and inverted,never twiddling and he is very consistent,too many long rallies for my liking though.
re willow:def alpha sucks the life out of the ball like no other blade i have seen,you`d probably have similar problems that you have with the whitespot

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 05:12 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Well, balsa is problematic for slick antis, you're right. However, I depend on balsa for weight reasons and because my forehand demands for it. So I used and use balsa successfully with Amy, Nightmare, and Timeless, but my blade has a 2mm balsa veneer glued perpendicular with regard to wood structure to the balsa core, which construction very effectively absorbs the catapult of the core wood. This absorber veneer is covered by a veneer of rather hard wood. It is that outer veneer that is most important for spin retention, I believe.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 05:34 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I don't know what wood it is, but the Andro Fibercomp is known as a good anti blade, which I can confirm.

According to the advertising, it's a seven-ply blade with a balsa core with two glass fiber veneers and the rest simply described as "high class plywood."

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 05:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Slick wrote
Quote:
my blade has a 2mm balsa veneer glued perpendicular with regard to wood structure to the balsa core, which construction very effectively absorbs the catapult of the core wood. This absorber veneer is covered by a veneer of rather hard wood. It is that outer veneer that is most important for spin retention, I believe.
Which blade is that?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 05:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

MNNB wrote
Quote:
I don't know what wood it is, but the Andro Fibercomp is known as a good anti blade, which I can confirm. According to the advertising, it's a seven-ply blade with a balsa core with two glass fiber veneers and the rest simply described as "high class plywood."
Do you know how it works, in this assembly of plies? It would seem the balsa is muffled to a high degree, both by the glass-fibre and the other plies.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 06:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I haven't been clear enough. Posting blades which work is of course very helpful :party: . But my intention was to find out why :P they work for anti - on account of the woods used.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 16:27 
Super User

You're scientist, aren't you? My blades are self-made by a very skilled person. So I quite exactly know about their composition. Most blades on the market, however, are not known as to their composition, since the makers keep this like a secret. So we will have great difficulties to identify suited blades based on wood types, as we don't know the latter. We gotta stick with trial and error.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 19:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Slick wrote
Quote:
You're scientist, aren't you?
Yes, part of the time anyway...
Quote:
We gotta stick with trial and error.
that happens a lot in science, too :sweat:
Quote:
My blades are self-made by a very skilled person. So I quite exactly know about their composition.
Then you - or he - may have an informed opinion on whether it would be sensible or not to have a blade like Joola T.Hold Whitespot, which is a 5 ply poplar blade, built by an individual craftsman, expecting it to be significantly better than coming from a factury. It would be helpful to know this, at least for me.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 19:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Kees wrote:
MNNB wrote
Quote:
I don't know what wood it is, but the Andro Fibercomp is known as a good anti blade, which I can confirm. According to the advertising, it's a seven-ply blade with a balsa core with two glass fiber veneers and the rest simply described as "high class plywood."
Do you know how it works, in this assembly of plies? It would seem the balsa is muffled to a high degree, both by the glass-fibre and the other plies.

Looks like a balsa core, then a fiber glass layer, then a thicker layer of some type of wood, and finally a thin outer ply (bad pic below). I think the guy in our Nittaku Best Anti video is using a Fibercomp. As for choppers, at least one good one uses it (Dean Stretton).

The Neubauer Kung Fu and Gladiator blades are supposed to be for frictionless antis. Neubauer puts edging around them so you can't see what they're made of. Rumor is that the Kung Fu might have carbon layers.

The White Spot is supposed to be a great blade for anti choppers. That might be the one to beat.

Attachments:
fibercomp.gif
fibercomp.gif [ 183.2 KiB | Viewed 3033 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 19:57 
Super User

My new Blade "on Elmstreet" is optimate to use a Anti at one sinde. It is a All Balde with a Abachi saw-venner.

Best regads Uli

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 20:19 
Super User

UlmoGerman wrote:
My new Blade "on Elmstreet" is optimate to use a Anti at one sinde. It is a All Balde with a Abachi saw-venner.

Best regads Uli

Where did you know from that this construction would be suited for slick anti, when you set it up? Did you just try a lot or have you had an a-priori idea, what would work and what would not?
BTW: Is the fh side of your blade faster, maybe optimized for looping offenders, and if yes, how did you manage this, technically?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 20:49 

I play with Stiga allround evolution and JUIC NeoAnti 2.0 mm. Very good control with blocking and away from the table. My antirubber is 6-7 years old. Over the years it may have lost some speed, and gained a little more control. Its very good if you want to combine loopy play with the element of "anti surprise" :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 21:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Slick wrote:
UlmoGerman wrote:

Best regads Uli

Where did you know from that this construction would be suited for slick anti, when you set it up? Did you just try a lot or have you had an a-priori idea, what would work and what would not?
BTW: Is the fh side of your blade faster, maybe optimized for looping offenders, and if yes, how did you manage this, technically?

Good questions.
And one more thing: is the blade especdially good for slick anti or will it work as well with grippy anti?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 21:38 
Super User

Hello,

the blades is construct to work with slick Antis like "Nigthmare". I have tested the blade by my owne with some slick antis. The balde is also working good with the normal rubber at the FS. Thes are experience by my owne and also by the first testers. A short feetback is her in this forum and also a feetback is posted at the german forum Noppen-Test. The Balde is without Balsa and have a flat ball reverse. Also you have a good controll and a high spin reverse at the slick antis side.

Uli

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!