OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: wood for anti?
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 22:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hi Uli,
How would your other defensive blades do for choppers using grippy anti? Sense, USD, Two-Face?
And how would Spinblock Def (which contains balsa, weighing 60 gram) do for blocking with slick anti?

I am especially interested in the USD blade, as it has american hinoki outer plies covering a willow core. I can understand the reason for using willow in a defense blade, as it slows down incoming balls. But why the hinoki? Wouldn't it make the blade too springy? It seems ok for topspin, but perhaps less for backspin...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 02:28 
Super User

1) I think a balsa Blade is no good combination with a anti. So i mean Spin Block will be no good combination with a anti.

What is your syle? Do you play defense behind the table? Is a All Blade also ok for your style?
I think "on Elmstreet" will be work with a classic Anti to - the Two Face also. The Two Face will have a softer FS with a Abachi veneer and the BS will be harder with the teak veneer. Also FS and BS have differnt kind of gluing (Two-Face). The "on Elmstreet" is symetrich.

When you are interested - please send me a PM

Uli

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 06:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ulmo wrote
Quote:
My interest is only to get us here a good idea what kind of combination of woods work well with anti, both with slick anti and grippy anti, both close to the table and chopping away from the table ("tischferne defensive").

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 07:16 

This is interesting. I have tried the balsa wood High Technology Plus, with the NeoAnti, it did not work for me. It was too quick for blocking close to the table and I lost the feeling. Chops away from the table became very difficult because of the lack of control. Was trying to read about that elmstreet blade, but it is all in German (my german is no good). How do you think that blade combines with 2.0 mm JUIC neoanti?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 18:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Personally, I think grippy anti is to be used with a kind of wood that is soft and has low/slow catapult - e.g. limba, ayous, willow, poplar, basswood; everything else will interfere with the way sponge and topsheet work together in an anti. The basic speed of the blade you'd use would depend on whether you tend to attack or defend. Flex should be there if you want to chop, because it helps making (back)spin; as producing topspin is almost never the goal of blocker-attackers using anti, their blades can be a bit less soft and more rigid (which in classic design would indicate a 7 ply blade instead of a 5 or 3 ply blade). For the rest, the choice of blade is determined by what you want to do with your forehand and what kind of rubber you use on it. Anti bh and looper fh: flexy, classic looper's blade. Anti bh and hitter fh: classic hitter's blade (Clipper, Avalox 700). For a chinese-style attacker using sticky rubber on fh, a hinoki blade should work too, as hinoki allows some sinking in, but it is not ideal for thinner anti because of its short dwell time. However, with 2.0 mm sponge and the good grip of the Juic, it should be ok, I guess. I would avoid hard additives like carbon or porcelain; as for slightly softer additives like arylate, texalium, etc. I've no idea what they would do, but when they are used for a sandwich with a balsa core, I wouldn't want them on account of the balsa.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 18:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The original german text on Uli's site:
Quote:
on Elmstreet ALL

Durch die Einführung der Mindestreibung für lange Noppen hat die Gattung der Antis an Bedeutung gewonnen. Hir hat man in neuen Entwicklungen die Reibung weiter reduziert und glatte Antis haben an Bedeutung gewonnen. Diese Belagsgattung stellt neue Anforderungen an das Tischtennisholz.

Unser neues Holz "on Elmstreet" verzichtet auf die Verwendung von Balsa und setzt auf hochwertige Abachi Sägefurniere im Kern. Duch die spezille Kombination von Sperr-, Deckfurnier und Fügetechnik harmoniert dieses Allroundholz sehr gut unter anderem mit dem neuen Anti "Nigthmare"

transl:

[Due to the introduction of the rule of minimal friction for LP, antispin rubbers have become more important. In newly developed rubbers friction has been decreased more and slick ("frictionless") anti have become more important. This type of rubber makes new demands on blades.

Our new blade "on Elmstreet" is manufactured without using balsa and its main feauture is having high grade Abachi as its core. Inner and outer plies have been assembled and bonded together in a special way; as a result this allround blade is well suited for e.g. our new anti "Nightmare".]

It is a 5 ply ALL blade, weighing around 80-85 grams.

By the way, Abachi is very common in not-too-expensive blades and feels like limba or ayous. If paired up with similar varieties of wood, the blade should do fine for grippy anti, but I couldn't say if it actually is. You could PM Uli about it. Slick anti (like Nightmare) is another story. So far, I haven't heard about any blade ideally suited to it and that's no surprise, as you'd want two mutually exclusive properties in it for the slick anti to work max effective: it would have to be soft/slow for the sponge and hard/slow for the topsheet... That is why manufacturers have come up with sandwiched balsa as a solution, but that only works for low to moderate speed and when balls come in faster or are hit harder, problems arise. As I see it, slick anti has been made to work by Amelie Solja because she has specialized to the extreme, using one stroke only and very smart tactics, which prevent her opponents from speeding the play up to levels where the anti doesn't work anymore. I don't know what kind of blade she is using, but it is likely tailor made for her and her style and wouldn't work so well for anything else.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 18:47 
Super User

Kees wrote:
Ulmo wrote
Quote:
My interest is only to get us here a good idea what kind of combination of woods work well with anti, both with slick anti and grippy anti, both close to the table and chopping away from the table ("tischferne defensive").

Differned players prever differnt kind of blades! I know one player how use a USD with a grippy anti. His style is def behind the table.
I think the "on Elmstreet" will forks with grippy Anti to, so i would offer you a test.

Uli

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 07:30 
Super User

Blade: On Elmstreet Ulmo
FH: Palio Flying Dragon
BH: Spinparasite
UlmoGerman wrote:
Hello,

the blades is construct to work with slick Antis like "Nigthmare". I have tested the blade by my owne with some slick antis. The balde is also working good with the normal rubber at the FS. Thes are experience by my owne and also by the first testers. A short feetback is her in this forum and also a feetback is posted at the german forum Noppen-Test. The Balde is without Balsa and have a flat ball reverse. Also you have a good controll and a high spin reverse at the slick antis side.

Uli

Well ,I have tested 'on Elmstreet' blade with Nightmare on one side.Really good.I like it.I also tested Nightmare on Toxic 3 blade and I had control problems although this blade is so slow.But with 'on Elmstreet' everything was good,especially spin reversal is excellent.I don't know if it will work with Timeless.Thanks...

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 10:24 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Fadil Olguner wrote:
Well ,I have tested 'on Elmstreet' blade with Nightmare on one side.Really good.I like it.I also tested Nightmare on Toxic 3 blade and I had control problems although this blade is so slow.But with 'on Elmstreet' everything was good,especially spin reversal is excellent.I don't know if it will work with Timeless.Thanks...

Good enough to switch from Timeless back to Nightmare?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 04:18 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Fadil Olguner wrote:

Good enough to switch from Timeless back to Nightmare?

MNNB Timeless is a different story and no anti will take its place.Before TL I was playing NM and this time I thought that this was the rubber for me.But with TL I found the rubber I wanted.And if one day our friends in ITTF ban TL ,NM will be another alternative to play with for me.Thanks

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 06:57 

Fadil Olguner wrote:
UlmoGerman wrote:
Hello,

the blades is construct to work with slick Antis like "Nigthmare". I have tested the blade by my owne with some slick antis. The balde is also working good with the normal rubber at the FS. Thes are experience by my owne and also by the first testers. A short feetback is her in this forum and also a feetback is posted at the german forum Noppen-Test. The Balde is without Balsa and have a flat ball reverse. Also you have a good controll and a high spin reverse at the slick antis side.

Uli

Hi Fadil,
Which blade was the best for Nightmare until this, as your experiment?
pal

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 21:15 
Super User

pal wrote:
Fadil Olguner wrote:
UlmoGerman wrote:
Hello,

Hi Fadil,
Which blade was the best for Nightmare until this, as your experiment?
pal

Hi Pal,I tested NM on Toxic 3 and Elmstreet blades only.Toxic is is not good for it but I like NM on Elmstreet blade very much.Good control,good spinreversal and good attacking capacity.Thanks

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 23:07 

Thanks. It sounds good.
Are You planning a test trial with your Aurora? :roll: :?: :roll:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 06:49 
Super User

pal wrote:
Thanks. It sounds good.

Honestly no because I get used to play with Timeless ,so I haven't needed to test Nightmare any more .We are in the middle of league matches so it is not good to play with different rubbers and blades.Perhaps after the league matches.Thanks

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 06:49 

Fadil Olguner wrote:
pal wrote:
Thanks. It sounds good.

Honestly no because I get used to play with Timeless ,so I haven't needed to test Nightmare any more .We are in the middle of league matches so it is not good to play with different rubbers and blades.Perhaps after the league matches.Thanks

OK Fadil, I can totally understand you.
Thanks.