OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 22:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
In my review (long time ago) I mentioned the sponges as:

haggisv wrote:
Got the Guard in 0.4mm and 0.8mm. The orange sponge on these feels hard and dense. It feels like a denser and harder version of the energy absorbing sponges I've seen (eg phoenix), although it does have a little spring as well. On the back cover it mention a 'perfect weapon against backspin', Do they they mean 'topspin'... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got the Guard Special in 0.6mm and 1.2mm. The sponge on these is firm, but MUCH lighter... I expect this is very similar to the phoenix sponge. As such I would expect this one to be slower, but the rating infer it is a little faster (5.7 vs 6.3). On the back this one mentions a 'superb weapon against strong backspin and for attack as well'...

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 08:01 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
In my review (long time ago) I mentioned the sponges as:

haggisv wrote:
Got the Guard in 0.4mm and 0.8mm. The orange sponge on these feels hard and dense. It feels like a denser and harder version of the energy absorbing sponges I've seen (eg phoenix), although it does have a little spring as well. On the back cover it mention a 'perfect weapon against backspin', Do they they mean 'topspin'... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got the Guard Special in 0.6mm and 1.2mm. The sponge on these is firm, but MUCH lighter... I expect this is very similar to the phoenix sponge. As such I would expect this one to be slower, but the rating infer it is a little faster (5.7 vs 6.3). On the back this one mentions a 'superb weapon against strong backspin and for attack as well'...

The people at ttdd.de (I use google translate) agree with you that the 1.2 and 1.8 sponges are slower than the 0.8 sponge.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 17:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
The people at ttdd.de (I use google translate) agree with you that the 1.2 and 1.8 sponges are slower than the 0.8 sponge.

That is where I bought my Giant Dragon Guard Special 1.8 black. However, at ttdd.de the rubber is named Giant Dragon Guard (without the Special; so initially I thought that was what it was, the "plain" version). And in addition to the thicknesses 0.6, 1.2, 1.8, which are available with most other shops and are on offer on Giant Dragon's own leaflet which comes with the (sealed) package, also thickness 0.8 is offered... At that, the picture shown from the package at ttdd.de is of the Special. Go figure... And if ttdd.de was the only one with that large a range of versions, one might think they made the 0.8 version themselves, but spinfactory.de (a quite reputable shop) also offers the whole range on both antis... Shops should offer accurate and sufficient information on what they are selling, as customers have hardly the opportunity to find it out for themselves...That is dark side. The bright side is that this anti is very good in whatever version you get it :party: .

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 18:10 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Kees wrote:
The bright side is that this anti is very good in whatever version you get it :party: .
Could you, or have you already done, write a concise review of this rubber, which I do not know myself or from one of my opponents?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 18:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Slick wrote:
Kees wrote:
The bright side is that this anti is very good in whatever version you get it :party: .
Could you, or have you already done, write a concise review of this rubber, which I do not know myself or from one of my opponents?
It is the first post of this thread...

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 23:48 
Super User

Kees wrote:
Slick wrote:
Kees wrote:
It is the first post of this thread...
Oh, sorry, I had forgotten over the time the thread collected, because when I read "There is no spin-reversal", I just put it out of my mind. This is the single most important property of an anti for my type of play. Does it miss reversal even when polished?
There is something I do not really understand later in your post: "add quite a bit of spin to the incoming rotation, producing very heavy backspin". Is that heavy spin just a product of the Guard or is there some reversal to which some more spin is added despite what you said earlier?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 00:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Slick wrote
Quote:
Does it miss reversal even when polished?
Not if you use armour-all for polishing, which is however illegal... :angel:

Spin development on chops works (I think) like this: incoming spin isn't stopped, because the surface's grip is very slight, so a good deal of it can be continued if you go with it (chopping topspin), and at the same time, because of that slight grip, some spin is added too, which in sum results in heavy spin. But if you just hold out the bat or chop lazy, there will be little backspin in your return. So this is an anti that works like very grippy LPs on thick sponge, like Curl P1R or Feint Long 3, but perhaps the LPs produce even heavier chop, for me that is hard to tell. In any case, good active chopping results in enough backspin to keep good loopers on their toes - even a very little mistake (timing, angle of the bat, speed of the stroke) will send the ball into the net.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 02:36 
Super User

My league is not an official ITTF one, so AA is not a legality problem for me. We even have a Superblocker remaining. BTW: every cleaning except with water is forbidden according to German interpretation of ITTF rules.
So, if you have already tried AA or something heavier, let us know. We are all aware that you only treated your training equipment.
Furthermore, what do you mean with "chopping topspin"?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 03:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
So, if you have already tried AA or something heavier, let us know. We are all aware that you only treated your training equipment.
I never treat my equipment...
Quote:
Chopping against incoming topspin - the chopping motion is in the same direction as the incoming rotation, and thus can add to it, helping it on. The reverse, chopping backspin, the chop will go against the direction of the incoming spin and thus diminish it.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 07:22 
Super User

Slick wrote:
My league is not an official ITTF one, so AA is not a legality problem for me. We even have a Superblocker remaining. BTW: every cleaning except with water is forbidden according to German interpretation of ITTF rules.

check the experimental folder.
guard takes uv very well
aa helps on top of that.