OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 22:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The following message is on the Joola.de website:
Quote:
19.04.2012 Nach dem Sieg gegen Wenling Tan-Monfardini (ITA) fiel alle Last von Amelie´s Schultern. Nach einem langen, nerven-aufreibenden Turnier war es geschafft: DIE OLYMPIAQUALI. Auch wenn es "nur" für die Teilnahme im Mannschafts-Wettbewerb reicht, ging für Amelie ein Traum in Erfüllung. Vor vier Jahren war sie für das Deutsche Team schon in Peking nominiert, war aber zum Zuschauen verdammt. In London wird die 21-jährige, die inzwischen für Österreich startet, aktiv ins Geschehen eingreifen können. Amy´s Beharrlichkeit und Liebe zum Tischtennis-Sport haben sich für sie ausgezahlt. Eine sehr problematische und schwierige Zeit liegt hinter der JOOLA-Spielerin. Nun scheint sie in Villach ihr Glück gefunden zu haben und darf sich auf ein großartiges Spektakel an der Themse freuen.

translation: After her victory over Wenling Tan-Monfardini (ITA) [she is a Chinese player plaing for Italy, not quite as old as Gao Jun, but of her stature, having taken part several times in the European top-12 tournament until quite recently; K.] all burdens fell from Amelie's shoulders. After a long, stressful tournament she has done it: she has qualified for the Olympics. Even when it is "only" for the team-event, for Amelie a dream has come true. Four years ago in Beijing she had been nominated for the German team, but was sentenced to be just a spectator. In London however, the 21 year old, now playing for Austria, will be able to play an active part. Amy's zeal and love for the table tennis sport have paid off. A very problematical and difficult time is now behind the Joola-player. Now, in Villach, she seems to have found her fortune and she can look forward to the big spectacle at the Thames.

What can one say? Well done, well done indeed... :up: :party:

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 03:57 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Its great to have at least a (very) few non-mainstream tt players showing up in the world class. Sometimes I watch two topspin duellers, but I rarely reach the end of their game because it is too boring. People criticizing Amy often claim she knows exactly two stokes but forget that the world class often masters just one.

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 04:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Slick wrote
Quote:
People criticizing Amy often claim she knows exactly two strokes but forget that the world class often masters just one.
:punch: :up: :party:

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 08:36 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Slick wrote:
Its great to have at least a (very) few non-mainstream tt players showing up in the world class. Sometimes I watch two topspin duellers, but I rarely reach the end of their game because it is too boring. People criticizing Amy often claim she knows exactly two stokes but forget that the world class often masters just one.

I do understand what you are meaning here, but to say any World class player only masters one stroke is just false, as all high level players tend to be good in all areas of their game including defending/ backhand / short game / serving / service returns and not just one stroke :)

Well with that off my chest, it is great to hear young Amelie is going to the Olympics and for me I believe that her style or anyone else's who's style that may look funky but achievable up to high International standard is just great for Table Tennis
she may even attract a different set of viewers and players to watch/play and be different :lol: :Defense:

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 09:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
In case anyone missed my earlier post, I send her congratulation on behalf of all our forum members here (thanks MNNB for the reminder ;) ), which she really appreciates, and here was her response (which she allowed me to share here):

Amy wrote:
Thank you so much! I`m very, very happy! After the tournament I was so excited that I couldn`t speak normally. Playing in the tournament was so hard, mentally. But I gave my all and succeeded. I`m so grateful that the Austrian Association has given me the chance to be in the Olympics ... and I have a dream ... to stand with the Austrian team on the winner`s podium some day ... and I will work hard that my dream comes true.

Regards Amy

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 22:26 
Super User

rodderz wrote:
Slick wrote:

I do understand what you are meaning here, but to say any World class player only masters one stroke is just false, as all high level players tend to be good in all areas of their game including defending/ backhand / short game / serving / service returns and not just one stroke :)

Well I was close to the world class some time ago, when players actually were good in all kinds of strokes. The summit of this play was reached by J.-O. Waldner, imho, who was (and in a way still is) able to play any style he wants at almost the same level. Recently, I was able to practice against two top 200 players during my vacation. We tested exactly this, just for fun: We made games in which they were not allowed to play topspin but any other style. Being an old man, I certainly had not a slice of a chance to win in normal game, but I beat one of them when he could not play topspin, and I reached a fifth set against the other. My conclusion: Certainly they can play strokes other than topspin, but not at world class level.
Amy has at least two world class strokes!!!

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 15:10 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Any update on Amy? How did she fared in the singles? What's her schedule on team event?

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 16:17 
Super User

Red_lion wrote:
Any update on Amy? How did she fared in the singles? What's her schedule on team event?

Unfortunately, she was not qualified for the singles, as the ban against Chinese triple-medal winners also forced all other nations to send just two players. She will show up in the team competition.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 17:14 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
That was unfortunate indeed.

Thanks slick..

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012, 16:47 
Super User

Amy will show up today (1:30 pm GMT) in the first team match of Austria against Hong Kong; not that easy a job.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 00:08 
Super User

Amy is in lead over Jiang Huajun by 2:0

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 00:13 
Super User

Funny: I am watching the German stream (Germany - Australia) because I have no access to a stream with Austria's match. The commentator just reported from Amy's lead at the neighboring table, in the next sentence he explained the various types of rubbers, and, finally, stated that no one in the world class plays anti anymore... :clap:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 00:18 
Super User

Amy made it 3:0 :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 00:25 
Super User

The double is LEE Ho Ching / TIE Yana <> LI Qiangbing / SOLJA Amelie, so she will not shine up in another single match today. Meanwhile, Austria has lost the double 3:0.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 01:06 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Li Qiangbing is getting destroyed. Unless she comes back from 0-2, 2-5, Amy is finished.

Update: 6-11. They shouldn't have wasted Amy on doubles.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics