OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 May 2012, 23:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The bottom one is the most recent model; they probably enlarged the head to make it more suitable for LP defence. The COS-3 is a 3-ply blade, flexible, the Def Plus a 5 ply, a bit more rigid, and more light-weight (75 grams instead of 85). Typically the COS-3 would be suitable for defence with double inverted, also for inverted&anti, but the new version would suit LP too.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 07:03 

Vladojica wrote:
Thank you for your answers! Well, I was in the dilemma where to post this question, long pips or anti spin section, since it does not matter to me whether it is lp or anti as long as it can come close to Scalpel/similar frictionless rubbers in passively blocking top spin. So basically, anti spin with very slow blade will be closer to the old frictionless LP idea, then todays long pips.
So, what will work better, ABS or Nightmare, or to try both ( :cash: :cash: :cash: ) ? :D (@Geddk: you were right) :lol:

Hi Vladijica,
There is no rubber on the market which is somewhat similar to Scalpel.

If you are looking for a rubber because of reversal, you should get a Nightmare. This rubber is the best against the strong loops. You have to also know: not easy to play against no spin ball with it but even you should try it at first.
Dr Neubauer's Gorilla also has a very nice reversal but even worse against the no spin ball.
All in all LPs and antis are far away from NM in reversal.
Br
pal

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 17:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pal:
Quote:
If you are looking for a rubber because of reversal, you should get a Nightmare. This rubber is the best against the strong loops. You have to also know: not easy to play against no spin ball with it but even you should try it at first.
Dr Neubauer's Gorilla also has a very nice reversal but even worse against the no spin ball.

No really well-reversing anti is "easy to use" against no-spin; nor are/were well-reversing LPs easy to use against no-spin. The core problem is that since well-reversing rubbers reverse well because they have virtually no grip on the ball, you can't manipulate the spin on a ball which has none.
But "easy to use" can be defined in many different ways (same as with "control"). In fact, you might posit that slick anti is quite easy to use against no-spin, as soon as you abandon the idea that you always have to manipulate spin and, therefore, the absence of spin is a problem. There is no reason to want to manipulate non-existent spin: just press the ball back over the net (this isn't difficult) and have your opponent figure out what to with it next. Lots of players who use inverted have serious problems themselves dealing with no-spin. Of course, you have to expect an attack; but as your no-spin return can only be attacked if the opponent puts some spin on the ball, returning his attack will be easier (meaning you have more options to deceive and complicate things for your opponent), because now you do have spin to manipulate; and the next attack will be easier still, for the same reason - and so on. The trick to playing against no-spin is patiently building up the rally, and spin will come into it.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 17:45 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Kees wrote:
No really well-reversing anti is "easy to use" against no-spin; nor are/were well-reversing LPs easy to use against no-spin. The core problem is that since well-reversing rubbers reverse well because they have virtually no grip on the ball, you can't manipulate the spin on a ball which has none.

This is where the Timeless comes into play. It is the only anti, I am aware of, able to produce own spin despite of featuring spin retention/reversal at almost the level of the Nightmare.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 18:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Slick wrote:
Kees wrote:

This is where the Timeless comes into play. It is the only anti, I am aware of, able to produce own spin despite of featuring spin retention/reversal at almost the level of the Nightmare.

Agreed, but the key term here is "almost", I think. And the degree of own spin it is able to produce is low. Depending on your style it is a very useful rubber, but I don't think it is better suited than ABS, Gorilla, or Amy etc. to a game favouring passive blocking and aggressive pushing.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 19:46 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Vladojica wrote:
... The most important shot to me is passive block of top spin. ...

That is TL's domain, the thread creator did not demand push blocking...
BTW, I meanwhile have tried ABS and resume TL being superior to this in retention, so "almost" was meant in relation to NM (my Gorilla excursion is too long ago).

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 14:05 
Super User

Scalpel is design for chop blocking style.
If you play chop block , try Desperado. I think it's pretty close.
However, if you only play passive block , no LP give same result.