OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Has the TL got spin reversal?
I play(ed) the TL myself: Yes, it has spin reversal 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
I play(ed) it myself: No, it has no remarkable spin reversal 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I only played against it: Yes, it has spin reversal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I only played against it: No, it has no remarkable spin reversal 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 17:34 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
I had a free day, and I went through everything written in German boards about the anti-spin rubber Timeless (TL) for practicing my German. I was rather surprised to read that the vast majority of the posters claim that the rubber has not got remarkable reversal at all. To get an impression of your experiences and opinions, I start a poll on the matter. Please tick the first item that is true in your opinion.
The Germans often compare the TL with the Neubauer ABS, which many of them find significantly better in spin reversal; so, if you can contribute to this comparison, feel free to comment in the thread.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012, 17:26 
Super User

Hey, guys, aren't there more than six people in this board who have played the Timeless, or more than one opponent? Isn't anybody able to contribute to the ABS comparison?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012, 17:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wish I could help... haven't tried it, but I'd like to!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2012, 04:53 

I got a chance to see the Timeless in action today, and hear how it was supposed to be used. The trick is that when you do a passive stroke, it acts like an anti and gives reversal, but when you do an active stroke, trying to put spin on it, its ribbed nature makes it so that the ball actually gets some spin.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2012, 16:54 
Super User

Knorben wrote:
I got a chance to see the Timeless in action today, and hear how it was supposed to be used. The trick is that when you do a passive stroke, it acts like an anti and gives reversal, but when you do an active stroke, trying to put spin on it, its ribbed nature makes it so that the ball actually gets some spin.
Yeah, I also hold this as one of its advantages. However, I assume users who are not acquainted with this behavior will confuse the "two modes" and disqualify the TL as spin-sensitive. I remember a post by Fadil quite a year ago when he said the TL be sensitive to spinny serves, which is only true if you try to lead the ball on receipt of such serves.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 10:55 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
Knorben wrote:

So TL can be good to Chopping game???

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 12:26 

manofan wrote:
So TL can be good to Chopping game???

That's hard for me to say, since I didn't feel it myself. For me, chopping depends as much on the speed of the rubber as well as other factors. I have no grasp at all of how fast/slow the Timeless is. You could always e-mail Lars Borg at Japsko, since it was at an event he organized that it was up for display. Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyG0Omtnb24
According to Lars, it chops as a regular anti, but it really shines in blocking/attacking close to the table.

As far as I'm concerned, it's too expensive to be a viable rubber for anything. There are grippy anti rubbers out there, this one strikes me more as a gimmick than anything. Sure, it might be great, but worth that hefty amount of money? Not in my book. Then again, I'm a poor student, and on top of that not really into anti in the first place ;)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 01:58 
Super User

Excellent reversal and slow speed vs heavy loops.

Utterly worthless against rolls and punches.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 13:37 

I voted for "not remarkable" while the question is: What is remarkable? I consider ABS, Nightmare, Gorilla as Antis which create lots of reversal where TL doesn´t even come close. Basically TL can reach a level of 30/40% if those rubberes get 85-100%. Just my experience. If you read that German board you find a user called Fuji. He posts a lot about TL but also mentions some variation concerning condition and reversal at the few TL-rubbers he owns.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 21:06 
Super User

I know the person you refer to personally quite well. I taught him about TL (before, he used Nightmare), but I would love to have his newest one - it is in terms of spin retention clearly ahead of an average ABS, which, btw, also have remarkable quality deviations.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!