OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 20:02 

I'm looking too get an anti spin rubber and i will put it on my andro blax off balsa blade. But what anti spin rubber would you recommend DONIC ALLIGATOR ANTI or BUTTERFLY SUPER ANTI. There is very little information on using an anti on an off blade. Also if someone could tell me a little about DONIC ALLIGATOR ANTI.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 23:24 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Donic Alligator Anti has a ridiculously low throw in 1.0mm sponge (the sponge is rather hard imo)..
The surface is.. More grey than black and it is slippery in a different way.. It is an anti on its own I think..

Was used on a Donic Burn Off- and my friend didn't like it so he put another 1.0mm sponge (total 2.0mm) and he said that it plays better..

Hope this helps in any way, Sir.
Haven't used Butterfly Super Anti though..

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 00:14 

Thanks for your help. So do you recommend me using a thick rubber thickness on my off blade?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2013, 13:30 

Loving the Alligator-anti,changes speed on topsin smashes, handles heavy spin serves, 1.5mm is easy to control and push around the table, once you control the point, change to speed /spin side and win the point. With that being said, I very seldom hit the anti-side twice in a row, being able to twiddle helps as well.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2013, 16:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That is great feedback anti-spin max, that's one anti I've heard very little about... oh and welcome to the forum! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 18:05 

Blade: Garaydia ZLC
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Dignics 09C
I haven't had a chance to use Alligator Anti. I have used Butterfly Sriver Killer for so many years from way back 20+ years ago. They don't make them anymore, so I have moved on to SuperAnti. This is the modern version of the Sriver Killer I used to love.

SuperAnti: Control is very good, blocks well against loops, smash, drives with the white sponge seemingly cushioning and absorbing energy from these vicious attacks. It is ideal for my push/block game standing your ground at the table against all-out assault. It is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Will reverse spin at the table like a long pip but the sound and feel when you strike the ball is just like an ordinary inverted.

Off the table it chops well with good control, with some underspin but not as much as long pips. It can be pretty slow on short and controlled pushes, but you can generate surprising speed when you go offensive on smashes.

For me this is the best blocking material and the best anti rubber. Hope this helps

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 19:04 

Advice needed,
I have only been playing league table tennis for 3 full seasons, having been thrown in at the deep end. Partly due to the lack of warm bodies at the club and my enthusiasm, I found myself up to my neck in spiiny world of league table tennis. It was such a tough start and I had so much trouble keeping the ball on the table that I started using LP halfway through my first season. It helped me chalk up some wins and I have used LP onmy backhand ever since. Last season was my best with a 73% win percentage, over the summer I wanted to try a new LP having used 837 Friendship since the start of my LP association. I felt it was not disturbing enough. I used several rubbers, mainly chinese and thought I had settled on a decent combination. I have a robot at home and practise up a club 2 times a week out of season.

It was all going good in practise but as the new season started, matchs were tougher, people i was blowing away last season were tough to beat, people I beat in 5 were now betaing me in 4, things have taken a turn for the worse. I loathed to go back to my old bat and setup as I have invested so much time and money in my new setup. After a total melt down last week. I decided that maybe an ANTI SPIN was a better option, I chose Alligator. Slapped it on last night and went up the club, it was nto the best night to try something new as it was a closed tournament. I would normally expect to get a few wins undermy belt until getting knocked out in the middle rounds, so I used it as an experiment. Which went a bit wrong. I warmed up well, the new rubber felt much more "dead" than the LP's but i have very good control and some good attack warming up agaonst good players.

Once the tourny started I got blasted off the tables by one player who I could normally beat with a blindfold on and another who I have a tussle with. I went home early.

Its way to early to say if the rubber will be a help or a hindrance as I need more time on the table with it but it maybe just me getting tighter in games, now that I have a "rep" as someone to beat. I feel the pressure more as every week goes past this season,

any advice would be helpful as its feels like torture at the mo.

My game is a strange. I have a great forehand topspin weapon which rarely see the light of day. I use backhand for about 80% of a rally and play a mixture of defence and attack with it. I was having problems with the LP as my attacking shots were 30% into the net, 40% good, 30% off the table, which was not happening last season.
sorry for the long post

rick

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 00:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

darkartsnovice wrote:
Advice needed,
I have only been playing league table tennis for 3 full seasons, having been thrown in at the deep end. Partly due to the lack of warm bodies at the club and my enthusiasm, I found myself up to my neck in spiiny world of league table tennis. It was such a tough start and I had so much trouble keeping the ball on the table that I started using LP halfway through my first season. It helped me chalk up some wins and I have used LP onmy backhand ever since. Last season was my best with a 73% win percentage, over the summer I wanted to try a new LP having used 837 Friendship since the start of my LP association. I felt it was not disturbing enough. I used several rubbers, mainly chinese and thought I had settled on a decent combination. I have a robot at home and practise up a club 2 times a week out of season.

It was all going good in practise but as the new season started, matchs were tougher, people i was blowing away last season were tough to beat, people I beat in 5 were now betaing me in 4, things have taken a turn for the worse. I loathed to go back to my old bat and setup as I have invested so much time and money in my new setup. After a total melt down last week. I decided that maybe an ANTI SPIN was a better option, I chose Alligator. Slapped it on last night and went up the club, it was nto the best night to try something new as it was a closed tournament. I would normally expect to get a few wins undermy belt until getting knocked out in the middle rounds, so I used it as an experiment. Which went a bit wrong. I warmed up well, the new rubber felt much more "dead" than the LP's but i have very good control and some good attack warming up agaonst good players.

Once the tourny started I got blasted off the tables by one player who I could normally beat with a blindfold on and another who I have a tussle with. I went home early.

Its way to early to say if the rubber will be a help or a hindrance as I need more time on the table with it but it maybe just me getting tighter in games, now that I have a "rep" as someone to beat. I feel the pressure more as every week goes past this season,

any advice would be helpful as its feels like torture at the mo.

My game is a strange. I have a great forehand topspin weapon which rarely see the light of day. I use backhand for about 80% of a rally and play a mixture of defence and attack with it. I was having problems with the LP as my attacking shots were 30% into the net, 40% good, 30% off the table, which was not happening last season.
sorry for the long post

rick

I am not sure how you would define "disturbing". Many players want it to mean "winning my games for me", which is erroneous. Its standard actual definition would be something like: "making it hard for the opponent to keep up continuous fast attack". In this sense, the 837 is equalled by few other LPs, if used in the right way with accurate technique.

I would guess the decline in your results would have to do with changing to less disturbing LPs (most likely because they are less fast and less grippy than the 837) on the one hand, and on the other with the fact that opponents have come to know you and your game. If you are predictable, and not as good as your opponent, you are likely to lose. If you are predictable, but better, you will win. Neither has much to do with using LP or not.

Anti (if not frictionless) requires tactics that are different from any and all LP-tactics. For instance, you can't use anti to produce consistently heavy backspin for classic defense; classic defense with anti is about defending safe and waiting for the drop-shot to attack it. And close to the table defense and counter-attack with anti can (again, unless it is frictionless) never be based on spin-reversal, as it can be with LPs, so anti is no substitute for LPs in this respect.

I think you would be best off if you would return to the 837 and work on developing your technique, especially your footwork so you would be able to bring your forehand to bear, thus adding a real dangerous element to your game.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 08:42 

Thanks for the follow up advise I will dust of the old bat and see what gives. In answer to your questions posed.

In the last 12 months I have started to attack more on the lp and have had good success. I changed my lp several months ago as I was looking for a more reliable attack weapon whilst maintaining the excellent defence of my lp game. I do not play a heavy chopping game, its more drop shot, blocking game then i mop up any balls popped up with a drive with the lp as most players tend to keep the ball away from my forehand if they can.

In my haste to "Improve" my speed on the bh I seemed to have got a bit confused.

people has tried to suss my game as 95% of people playing in my league have played the same players unchanged for years. I come along and can't hold one end of bat in season 1, 40% win season 2, Over 70% win season 3 with many notable scalps.

The league is not brilliant but I have been noticed and I know people discuss how they are going to play me as I am the only one who plays with a "funny "rubber. They get in huddles sometimes before the start of a match. This has got to me slighty as I am unused to the attention and I know I am playing worse as a result of the extra pressure as I seem to play ok in practise with team mates and against a robot.

I assumed, maybe wrongly, that the anti would give me a decent amount of spin reversal and that I could control the rally better than lp. In my small test, I could detect little in the way of spin reversal as it was being smacked past me at some speed.

As you say I need to get my forehand into the game more.

Cheers forthe advice

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 15:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
They get in huddles sometimes before the start of a match.

That is a good sign... But I understand how it would put pressure on you. Perhaps you could form a huddle of your own, getting support; or do something similar mentally. Standing out is inevitable if you are using LP or anti.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2013, 04:11 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Hi darkartsnovice

Kees is as ever correct. Stick with your 837 but use it to create balls to put away with your forehand. Work on your forehand drive to make it a shot which goes on the table 90% of the time. I have always found anti to be a totally different type of rubber to lps and every attempt I have made to use it has failed miserably. For me Grass DTecS in ox rules.

Bulldog :devil:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2018, 08:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
....just discovered Super Anti has exccellent active blocking ...... I used to block passively , just sending the ball back safely..... and my percentage of on the table blocks was nearly 95% but the opponent could reloop easily every time,.... however, I started to block aggressively, activating the wrist forward with great control... the ball now landed low and uncomfortably as the opponent had little time to react and the ball was coming fast towards their body ......

..... using anti when the pips for close to the table defense cannot keep the block on the table due to the mega fast speed is a very good strategy because when the opponent has to pass the ball , then , the pip game starts again ..... :lol:

.... hence, no need to follow the route of the expensive frictionless antis,.... in my view, it is a way of making the DMS and the DR N. richer and richer,.... in collusion with the ittf....

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!