OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 11:45 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
So, after analyzing my game more closely, I've decided that short pips on the forehand are probably not for me. I spin and loop too much on the forehand.

My backhand is a different story. I have 4 main shots with my backhand: a push, a chop (so fun!!!!), a block, and a flick (I occasionally counterhit or smash with my backhand, but not so often. I focus mainly on placement here). 3 out of 4 of these shots are defensive. My beloved reflectoid can do all of these, but it can't really do any of them too great except push. I'm starting to think I need to specialize my backhand....

I've tried long pips, but they were meh. Don't know why, but they didn't click. I'd like to give anti a go. But what's a good chopping anti? Best anti? I need something under 30$, so it seems I'm limited to best anti, BTY super anti, or tibhar ellen defense.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 19:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The frictionless one are best for blocking in close... away from the table a bit of grip is probably more effective, so you can add some backspin, unless you're just trying to keep the ball in play. JUIC Neo Anti another option perhaps?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 19:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The Butterfly Super Anti may offer the best control, and is the easiest to use for passive defense, but it generates less spin on its own than the other two, which offer quite good control as well. The Tibhar Ellen is slower than the Nittaku Best Anti (one of the slowest around; also a bit slower than Butterfly SA), but for the rest these two are comparable. I think that for chopping actively, including spin-variation, and generating yoor own spin against no-spin balls, Tibhar and Nittaku are best. I wouldn't use the Tibhar on an extremely slow blade, as this anti is really very slow and you would have to work hard to get the ball on the table when further away than two metres; but on your average def blade it is very useful and a bit easier to use than the Nittaku. If you like to attack regularly, go for the Nittaku. If instead you like to block a lot, go for the Butterfly. But they would all do; the trick is to use them well so their specific qualities are brought to bear, and to pair them with a good forehand rubber and forehand tactics. The Butterfly more or less requires a very active and aggressive forehand because due to its lack of spin it excells at passive shots; the other two go well either with agressive forehands or with very spinny chopping forehands - or both.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 23:46 
Super User

Thanks guys. I think I may give the Nittaku Best anti a try. Chopping is my favorite to do, and I'd like to at be able to sort of flick service returns.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2013, 02:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

THE GAMEr wrote:
Thanks guys. I think I may give the Nittaku Best anti a try. Chopping is my favorite to do, and I'd like to at be able to sort of flick service returns.

Good luck! If you could find the time to report back here on your experiences, that would be worthwhile to others.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2013, 04:59 
Super User

I shall keep it updated! Thank you, kees! And thanks, haggisv!

I'll compare anti chopping/pushing to reflectoid chopping/pushing.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 00:53 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Any reports on anti chopping/pushing vs reflectoid chopping/pushing?

I'd never have thought of anti as a chopping strategy... although there's a fellow in my local league who plays anti on both sides, and only chops or pushes.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 05:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
To GAMEr......

When you describe what you do with your BH, it's possible that thin sponged Short Pips are a more versatile option than anti.

A good SP, that is a bit slower, with thinner sponge, does everything that you like to do! Chop, push, flick, block.

I have chopped extensively with Reflectoid, and I have chosen to go to SP instead of inverted on my BH. I didn't think that I would ever give up a good inverted chopping rubber, I am surprised that I decided that SP is better overall than Reflectoid or Tackiness Chop. The chops with a good SP are more accurate and flatter than Reflectoid. And the SP is still grippy enough for flicking. And pushes with a slow SP are VERY good, they are not so good with a high powered SP.

I would recommend globe 889-2 in a 1.0mm sponge or a custom sponge of only .5mm under a Friendship 799. I have a 799 with a 1.5mm soft sponge, and it is so spinny it is ridiculous. (this reduced the control) Also Friendship 802 in a 1.0mm is very popular, but it has a bit less spin than the 889-2 or 799.

Anyway, this is just an idea in-case the Anti experiment doesn't work.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 06:37 
Super User

Donic anti classic and Yasaka antipower are the grippiest anti i know. Super anti is quite similar to a lp with few spin reversal and more control...

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 08:05 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I know a very good chopper who chops with JUIC Neo Anti w/1mm sponge.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 01:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi guys! I have never tried anti more than 5 minutes, so therefore I have a generic question:

If anti has a surface that is resistant to spin, how can it produce enough spin for a decent chop?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 01:46 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It can't, it's like a slippery long pimple, you have to rely on the other player making enough spin to beat himself.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 02:52 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
foam wrote:
It can't, it's like a slippery long pimple, you have to rely on the other player making enough spin to beat himself.

That isn't always true. Antis like Yasaka Antispin and Juic NeoAnti can impart a decent amount of spin. As far as chopping with anti, the 2012 German O40 champion chops with Butterfly Super Anti on both wings. Here's the 5th game when he won it:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 03:10 
Super User

http://youtu.be/AB-us88jaGI

This guy is using BTY Super Anti on both (!) sides on an old BTY Defense ST

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 03:41 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

mynamenotbob wrote:
foam wrote:

That isn't always true. Antis like Yasaka Antispin and Juic NeoAnti can impart a decent amount of spin. As far as chopping with anti, the 2012 German O40 champion chops with Butterfly Super Anti on both wings. Here's the 5th game when he won it:

Yeah I've used the Yasaka Anti, but it plays practically the same as a normal inverted rubber and we all know you can chop with inverted quite well :). By the way that guy looks like he knows what he's doing with anti but it's still going to be well out of the league of usability for 99.9% of humans for chopping, especailly with a properly slippery one. Short pips is a far better idea for the majority imho at least then you can play the game in whatever way you decided during a point and enjoy it.