OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 13:37 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
During the week I had my first ever game against someone using anti-spin. I'm mid/high club level player with an offensive game. The person I played I usually beat in 3 or 4 sets, sometimes quite easily but have lost before.

He does some unusual things sometimes with equipment. This time he'd put a layer of cork on a 729 Friendship fighter bat as found here: -http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45&products_id=53

He then put some Giant Dragon (guard I think) anti-spin rubbers on it, sponge about 1.5mm. He actually had cut the bottom of the rubbers off so had no labels.....illegal?? and used 2 sheets of black on the bat........definately illegal.

So he ended up wit a rather thick bat with 2 black sides and no labels. No one was worried since it was only during a club game at Bgrade level, beside that they probably didn't even notice.

I had a go with the bat and my first serve took 3 bounces on my side before it even reach the net, this bat virtually had no power at all and often with returning, the ball didn't even reach the net. I soon gave it back.

Then we had a friendly game, he used it much better than me. The ball kept coming back really low and short over the net. I like to play back a bit and attack so this short game didn't really allow me to attack much, was a close game but he won in 5. The spin didn't really worry me (I didn't think) more just the lack of pace and although the balls weren't anything difficult to handle, I really struggled to find a good ball to attack since they were just low short and with nothing on them. He did however still manage to attack ok with it so anything that I popped up a bit he was able to put away.

When he first told me that he was using anti-spin I sort of raised my eyebrows seeing that he is a similar style to me however I must say it seemed to be working for him and his comment about him "being in his 50's and not going anywhere doing what he's been doing so might as well change and try something else now" seems a good idea. If it doesn't work out he can just go back to doing what he was doing before.

He's asked me to order 804 red and black to be legal which I believe is said to be 1/2 anti, not sure if that will impact his game. I actually think it could be good for him.

Not really looking forward to playing him later in the season.

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 13:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
I am not sure why you are not looking forward to this. Great opportunity to learn how to play against it and maybe your club mate will get better. I always feel the tougher my club members play, the better I have to get!

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 18:46 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I agree with Vanir - welcome the challenge! Anti is actually very easy to play against once you get used to it. It is predictable and limiting for the user. Keep the ball deep, don't rush your shots, and just do slow heavy loops to it. If the guy pushes with it then just loop the ball fast.

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 20:04 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Its ok fellas, was just a throwaway line to end the post, not worried.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 18:10 

winning and loosing is a part of life. you must think after loosing that at least I learn something, and you really do. you learn experience of that bat and that game. If you play again there is the winning probability. Remember, no body is perfect.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!