OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 15:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
If you miss the highest point you have to just push it back.

That is what bothers me, as pushing or pressing a no-spin ball back is a weak return - against able players. Well, of course, one just shouldn't miss the highest point... ;)

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 16:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think that against topspin, a well placed block is more effective (and the percentage shot) with this rubber, as blocking is so easy and you can place it anywhere with ease as it's quite unaffected by spin. A well placed block can still be hard to attack for the opponent, and if they push it you can attack it.

Coming back to pushing (against backspin or no-spin), what I found more effective than the regular aggressive push, is to side-swipe the ball. I could play it aggressively and deep with easy, producing visible wobble balls, which seemed to trouble my opponent more. I don't seem to get such wobble balls with LPs.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 18:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Coming back to pushing (against backspin or no-spin), what I found more effective than the regular aggressive push, is to side-swipe the ball. I could play it aggressively and deep with easy, producing visible wobble balls, which seemed to trouble my opponent more. I don't seem to get such wobble balls with LPs.

As for the side-swipe: same here, especially when you use the tip of the blade. Using the tip of the blade for drives (also going a bit sideways, like the swipe) helps as well.
I haven't seen any wobble, but then I don't see it with LP either, even when opponents do :^) . There is this theory that wobble is a trick the brain plays on you by extrapolating a trajectory from two sightings and getting it wrong because the brain hasn't experienced it often enough yet to be able to get the right prediction under the right circumstance.
What I did see was several "cork-screw" balls, when I (mostly passively) returned top- or back-side-spin serves and the ball touched the other half of the table, coming up in amazing pirouettes, bouncing out of reach of the opponent :o :D . It is fun, but an opponent who understands what's happening just won't use that kind of serve anymore, so it is also a bit self-defeating...

PS: On reflection, I have removed the Buffalo from the Joola Toni Hold Whitespot blade I had it on - the blade may be too slow and (possibly) soft for this anti, decreasing its reversal some. By the way, to remove it safely (without getting wrinkles) you should keep it straight, not bend it: lift about a cm at the handle end, carefully, then pull it straight and hold it tight and lift it further - it will gently tear itself loose inch by inch as you lift it further. The rubber came off with even its own glue-layer intact and most of the rubber glue staying on the blade. Now I have glued it, again using a thin layer of photo glue on the rubber and on the blade, to a Tulpe 7007 Carbon blade.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015, 23:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tested the Buffalo on the Tulpe 7007 yesterday: this is a fast (OFF-) blade, but the Buffalo was as slow as on the slow Joola THW. Hadn't expected that at all. Reversal was awsome, control great. And hitting was now much more doable than with the Joola THW: no-spin serves, no matter how low, were no problem - quick hit and the ball went where it should, skidding off the table. I liked it, but this blade is quite heavy, too heavy for me to be comfortable, so I changed to an old Joola Feyer-Konnerth Light blade, an All- blade with balsa. Now the Buffalo was much faster and far less controlled! Hadn't expected that either. Don't know what to make of it. It seems this anti is especially good on carbon blades. I am going to try it on a Palio Era (All-, 3 plies ayous, 2 arylate). It still comes off the blades intact, so I'll experiment a bit further... Next stop is likely a Re-Impact blade.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 05:31 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
Kees wrote:
Tested the Buffalo on the Tulpe 7007 yesterday: this is a fast (OFF-) blade, but the Buffalo was as slow as on the slow Joola THW. Hadn't expected that at all. Reversal was awsome, control great. And hitting was now much more doable than with the Joola THW: no-spin serves, no matter how low, were no problem - quick hit and the ball went where it should, skidding off the table. I liked it, but this blade is quite heavy, too heavy for me to be comfortable, so I changed to an old Joola Feyer-Konnerth Light blade, an All- blade with balsa. Now the Buffalo was much faster and far less controlled! Hadn't expected that either. Don't know what to make of it. It seems this anti is especially good on carbon blades. I am going to try it on a Palio Era (All-, 3 plies ayous, 2 arylate). It still comes off the blades intact, so I'll experiment a bit further... Next stop is likely a Re-Impact blade.

Kees, I think you are correct in that frictionless antis seem to work best with carbon blades or at least hard and stiff all wood blades. I also believe that frictionless antis do not work with balsa; I am not exactly sure why, maybe it has to do with the catapult effect. So my guess would be that the Re-Impact blade may not be the best option. If you don't like too fast blade you could take a look at the Dr. Neubauer Hercules blade which is a 3+2 carbon blade like All+ that works very well with antis. Look for a light one, I had one at only 78g, and it is not too fast.
haggisv wrote:
I think that against topspin, a well placed block is more effective (and the percentage shot) with this rubber, as blocking is so easy and you can place it anywhere with ease as it's quite unaffected by spin.

The block against topspin is your biggest weapon with frictionless anti and no other technique than just a passive block producing the maximum reversal should be used. You can even try to "force" your opponent to loop so you get to block, for example with a half-long serve or push into the forehand. Of course you have to place it so they can't unload on it.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 18:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

For my review, here, of this rubber(which I got from Haggisv to test it: thanks :up: :party: ) it should be kept in mind that I am not accustomed to using frictionless rubber; my expertise, such as it is, is with classic anti’s and Chinese OX LP’s. Even though I practiced a lot with the Buffalo, for over a week (over 12 hrs), it is likely that I have not performed strokes like the counter-drive and the aggressive push and possibly also the chop away from the table quite as they should be performed with frictionless anti. This will of course influence the review.

Overall I was impressed with the quality of the rubber and with its effectiveness when used for passive defense (on the right blade), but less so with its use for active strokes. My guess is that it will be effective for rather restricted tactics.

First, its physical properties. It is stiff, feeling like cardboard, and doesn’t bend at all unless you use some force – which you shouldn’t. Bending it will wrinkle the top sheet and more or less spoil the rubber. So when you glue it on (I followed instructions that were on a green card in the package) make sure you use a layer of glue on the blade as well as one on the sticky side of the rubber (I used rubber cement: photo glue), as this will allow removing the rubber without damaging it. Put it on by aligning its bottom with the edge of the handle and delicately press it down without bending it. Then roll it down with a bit of pressure and leave it for about a quarter of an hour under a book or something. After that it is ready for use. If you remove it, pry loose the lower edge, a strip of about half an inch, take the loose strip between thumb and finger en hold it tight, pulling it towards you a bit while you slowly lift it; this way, the rubber will tear itself gently off the blade without bending and without wrinkling.
The surface of the top sheet has no shine but it is very smooth, a rotating ball will stay where it is if put onto it, rotating as it did without rolling off. The sponge is inert, but it will compress under impact. If you bounce a spinning ball on the rubber, it will lose its spin in about 3 or 4 bounces if you just hold out your bat. In fact, I found that disappointing, as most of my OX LP’s will give a similar result – even when you can’t keep a rotating ball on their surfaces, as is possible with this rubber. It is a bit of a warning that not even this Buffalo anti will be able to replicate the performance of frictionless OX LP’s; it has to come with a sponge and this will influence its performance. Still, it is possible to sort of bypass its sponge when playing with it, so you will still get impressive reversal with most strokes.

I used the Buffalo on four different blades: Joola Toni Hold Whitespot (JTHW for short), Joola Feyer-Konnerth Light (JFKL for short), Tulpe 7007 (7007 for short), and Palio Era (Era for short).
The JTWH is a slow defensive blade, slightly oversized, made of 5 plies of poplar, and rather rigid for a 5 ply blade. Poplar is soft wood and even if Joola has hardened at least the outer plies some, this blade is not ideal to get reversal with LP or anti. It is, however, reasonably good in adding spin when used with those rubbers. As it turned out, this is not an ideal blade for the Buffalo. My impression was that on low to medium impact the blade cooperated with the dampening sponge and, together with taking off speed of the ball, it would take off some of its spin. Adding spin was quite difficult, due to the frictionless top sheet. So, even though it allowed a solid defense away from the table, returning the ball quite low over the net and with sufficient backspin (if topspin was coming in), it was unremarkable when used close to the table with passive blocks and aggressive pushes. It was very hard to hit no-spin balls, which tended to drop off the bat no matter what I tried as to perfecting the timing and the angle. The only satisfactory stroke close the table was the side-swipe, which would have sufficient speed and good reversal.
When I changed to the 7007 I suddenly had a whole different rubber to play with. Astonishingly, on this OFF carbon blade, when used for defense the Buffalo was as slow as it had been on the JTHW, and I really mean just as slow. It was perfectly possible and in fact easy to chop from mid-distance even against fast balls, and passive blocks close or chop-blocks to the table were also quite alike in speed, that is, in the lack of it. But reversal on those strokes was much higher. And hitting no or low spin balls was much easier. The sponge, even in 1.2 mm, must be extremely good in dampening incoming speed, but apparently you need a hard blade beneath it to get great reversal.
To test this, I changed from the 7007 to the JFKL, which is an ALL blade with balsa in it, almost as stiff as the JTHW, but a bit softer, as well as quite a bit faster. I had expected reversal to be less on this blade, which it was, but to my amazement it also played much faster than on the 7007 (and the JTHW). In fact, I found it too fast to have ideal control.
So I changed again, now to the Era which is only slightly slower than the JFKL, has no balsa but is made of 2 plies of Ayous and 2 Arylate, and is a bit oversized, rather like the JTHW. The Buffalo performed on this blade as it had on the 7007, almost completely identical: low speed, high reversal, great control. As the Era is light-weight (76 gr) and the 7007 totally not (about 90 gr), I found this combination the most comfortable. I guess the Era is more or less alike to the Neubauer Hercules, at least in composition, and it would seem that the Buffalo has been designed to work well with this type of blade – perhaps even only with this type of blade. I had intended to test it on a Re-Impact Smart, but as it is I want to keep it on the Era and see how it works when I get more accustomed to playing with frictionless rubber.

Just a few further remarks on how the rubber plays. It dampens incoming speed remarkably well, but as soon as it bottoms out, that effect is gone. The 1.2 mm may offer the best reversal, but if you like to play close to the table and to control incoming speed, 1.5 mm or even 1.8 mm may be the better option, unless you have or develop a very light touch on blocks. For me, blocking was a bit tricky and close to the table I prefer to return incoming topspin with a scooping kind of block, in fact a short version of the chop away from the table; this way there is no bottoming out and reversal is high.
Making speed yourself is not a problem as long as you can make solid contact. However, the rubber’s reversal is so absolute that when you drive against even moderate topspin, the ball will float – in fact, if you hit hard enough to make the rubber bottom out, the ball will climb, actually rising as if it was chopped hard, and never touch the other half of the table.
So, hitting and driving require that you control the stroke. If the ball is high and you have a direct line of fire, hitting it hard is safe, but if the trajectory has to be even slightly curved, you have to drive with care. An almost open blade and taking the ball as close to the tip of it as is possible will make it less risky to drive. Timing has to be spot-on: top of the bounce. If you do it this way, the ball will skid off the other half and be awkward for the opponent.
Chopping, as I said, is easy, but there is a problem if you go far away from the table. If contact with the ball is made at an angle, the speed will be very low, no matter what blade is used – the wider the angle, the lower, because the top sheet of the rubber is frictionless and won’t grip the ball when you open the blade, so the incoming speed literally slip-slides away. If you want to make speed, you can’t open the bat much. But if you are away from the table, you may want to or have to make speed; if you open the blade less for this, the sponge starts to take work against the reversal, especially on a soft blade, so your chops will not have heavy backspin if they have speed. I guess, if you would want to play with a defensive blade, it better be a carbon blade or have some similar fiber that makes it hard.
Incoming spin is reversed well if the sponge is only slightly engaged (soft touch, light contact) or passed by (bottoming out); reversal is probably something like 90-100% in these cases. If the sponge is engaged more, reversal will still be high, maybe 80-90% on passive contact. There is a maximum degree of compression, when the ball fills the sponge almost completely but doesn’t quite touch the wood, where reversal is lowest, perhaps down to 70%. Of course it is hard to get this maximum compression on purpose, but in my experience it tends to happen when you push aggressively – the angle of the blade and the rather moderate incoming speed work together to get this result, here. I got relatively low reversal on pushes, until I really bumped into the ball when pushing, so the rubber would bottom out. When you side-swipe instead of push, you are putting on more pressure, so the rubber will bottom out; this is why this stroke works better with this rubber.
If you try to use this “lack” of reversal, that is, the small amount of grip which is the best the rubber has to offer, to help the spin on, this has little effect. The best result you can hope for anyway is to approach the 90-100% reversal the rubber would offer when you didn’t do anything in the first place! So, spin-manipulation is not a tactic suitable for this rubber, I think.
Even if the rubber is frictionless, it is possible to get some grip in another way. It is no use to try and increase friction by grazing the ball faster, but if you contact the ball with the top-end of the blade, where its flex is greatest, and whip vertically upwards using lots of wrist, you will be able to get some hold – just about enough for a flick against no-spin, and really enough for a quick roll against backspin.
You’ll also get enough grip for attacking topspin this way, but you should start the stroke (which is more like a punch anyway) directly behind the, with no upswing and hardly any follow-through, to control your adding forward speed – especially when using a faster blade.
Serving with the Buffalo can be remarkably effective, not because of the spin of course, but because the lack of grip allows very short placement, literally inches away from the net. It is a nice variation. And another one is generating some speed and have the ball do a double bounce on the other half nonetheless. It seems it is hard for opponents to get a grip on the incoming speed and placement the Buffalo allows.
Some things this rubber can’t do, obviously. When I push against backspin using classic LP or anti I am able to generate enough grip to keep the return low; but not with the Buffalo – the ball will fly high. A normal push is not an option.

I don’t like to stay close to the table all the time, Neubauer style, so I have decided to glue an SP to the forehand side of the Era and play my version of Pascal Tröger’s tactics. I’ll see how it goes...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 19:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Thanks Kees! Great review.
I am waiting for a der Materailspezialist BEAST in 1,5 mm and the blade Terror from the same company. That blade is made for maximizing reversal, still be controlled and yet with enough speed for mid distance attacks. Like a Joo Se Hyuk for anti or ox LP. I will test your hypothesis on chopping with a carbon blade, although Terror does not have any carbon in it...

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 07:55 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Kees, did you continue to use Buffalo? Any more findings?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 10:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the review Kees! It missed this completely :oops:

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 16:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Def-attack wrote:

I did; no new findings, really. It allows a solid game of bh defense at every distance. Maybe there is one thing, though - if you're up to an opponent who won't feed you enough spin to work with, like a (SP) hitter, you're pretty much a sitting duck if you stick to defense. With grippy LP (or grippy anti) that is a bit less of a problem.
I want to try it on a Re-Impact blade; not sure which one I'll use for that. Probably not the Smart, as Haggisv has the Buffalo on it; wouldn't make much sense to review that particular combination twice.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 16:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Thanks for the review Kees! It missed this completely :oops:

I miss yours too... :D

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 16:58 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Kees wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

I did; no new findings, really. It allows a solid game of bh defense at every distance. Maybe there is one thing, though - if you're up to an opponent who won't feed you enough spin to work with, like a (SP) hitter, you're pretty much a sitting duck if you stick to defense. With grippy LP (or grippy anti) that is a bit less of a problem.
I want to try it on a Re-Impact blade; not sure which one I'll use for that. Probably not the Smart, as Haggisv has the Buffalo on it; wouldn't make much sense to review that particular combination twice.

Sounds good. I think twiddeling is essential, even more with such little grip.
I am desting BEAST in 1.5 mm on DMS Terror. Low throw! A bit scary for my FH but blocks are very low, even on FH. The setup has great control and spin reversal and it is also possible to keep chops low although not spinny. I will keep it for a few more sessions to see if I can alter my strokes and gameplan a little. So far, so good :)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 19:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I don't know the Terror; by its specifications it is an ALL blade, but rather light-weight, even for a 5-ply. Is there balsa in it?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 21:11 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Kees wrote:
I don't know the Terror; by its specifications it is an ALL blade, but rather light-weight, even for a 5-ply. Is there balsa in it?

From der Materialspezialist web site:
TERROR enables perfect block and counter hit/ralley play and is designed for the modern allround pimples and antispin player.
Due to its unique veneer structure this blade creates amazing spinreversal values and disruptional effect when used with pimples and antispin rubbers.
When blocking with TERROR, a very low ball trajectory is created making it difficult for the opponent to attack again.
TERROR also enables offensive strokes like loops and shots whilst maintaining great control due to its moderate speed.
Speed: 82
Control: 94
Weight: ca. 81g
Characteristics: ALL
Layers: 5

There is no balsa in this blade as fas as I know. I bought it on AA's recommendations and since it was not that expensive :-). If I continue this style I might want to try the Destroyer. My two main problems with this bade is that the sweet spot is smaller than I am used to and that the throw is much lower than I am used to. But the one about the throw is the whole meaning of this blade... But later I might try the BEAST on my regular Joo-blade to see how it works. But I attached the rubber using only glue sheet, so I guess there will be some kind of problem removing it. Also, Terror has a much smaller head than Joo...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 21:12 
Super User

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next