OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 01:10 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Several brands offer Anti rubbers. The idea being that the top sheet is almost frictionless so they generate a knuckle ball that has virtually no spin on it, or as the claim goes, the opponents spin is directed back at him.

How effective are these rubbers in real play? And what wold be the best thickness to get them in. Butterfly offers its Anti in 1.9mm, and maybe some others as well. Yasaka offers its Anti in 2.0 and 1.5mm thicknesses.

Would 1.5 lack enough power to even get the ball back?

I am thinking of making a blade with Anti on one side, just to see what happens.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 01:22 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Ranger-man wrote:
How effective are these rubbers in real play?

This effective:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hEB3fm1LYao&feature=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 01:36 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Wow, you are right, he is just basically tapping the ball back, no underspin, no topspin, he is straight-batting it back and its uncanny how easy he makes it look. From the sound of the blade, looks like a 1.5mm rubber. But then the sound is not a very accurate indicator.

Thanks Phish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 02:34 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Ranger-man wrote:
its uncanny how easy he makes it look.

I was first impressed by how easy he hit back as well... Then toward the end it showed his ball are heavily underspinned... That was very impressive!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 03:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
RM, there is quite a list of Anti rubbers around. If you dip into the Anti section here, you will find a lot of discussion around them. I had a go with 804 Anti, which is Friendships one. I can't say I was very impressed as it was pretty hard to use effectively. Sure it gave no reaction to side-spin. But to topspin, or probably more accurately to speed, it was really difficult not to sail the ball over then end of the table. I probably didn't invest enough time in it, and I think there are a LOT better anti's around too. But i don't have the money to try them out to find if there is, or isn't one I like. Dr. N. has several new anti's coming out that apparently skirt the new frictionless ban that comes into effect in July. And there is quite a lot of anticipation about that, with some videos of him playing with it and making it look easy. I guess as forum members buy and use these we will find out more. For now I am sticking with my LP, as it gives me the advantages I would be seeking from the anti, without so many disadvantages.

I highly recommend going into the anti section and reading some posts there though! :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 03:58 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Thanks RB, I will def go into the Anti section and see what I can find out. The reason I am investigating Anti rubbers is because of a fatal flaw in my game, the return of serve.

I find that the biggest reason I lose matches, when I do, is the return of serve. I am basically a top-spinner and if a serve is long, or even slightly high, I can loop it no matter what. From both wings.

But if I can't get my loop going against a serve, then its 50/50 at best. And I was just thinking might not be a bad idea to get some help, in the way of Anti rubbers and see if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 04:27 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Its funny RM, but I went for the LP for a very similar reason. I found that I couldn't get into points well enough with inverted on both sides. Putting LP on my BH has altered that greatly, and my game has been growing since I made the change. I am increasing constantly the accuracy and range of my LP shots and as I do I am getting the results on the board. I have tried quite a number of LP's and have settled on a 2 or 3 I really like. I made my own semi-frictionless LP to see how that was, but I think you can do a lot more with a frictioned LP (and frictionless is to be banned soon anyway).

I think anti offers some options too, if you get one that suits you. But generally they are expensive to try. The 804 isn't but I think its probably unlikely to suit you, from what you have said. Have you tried an inverted rubber that is just less sensitive to spin? This can be worthwhile trying. Generally if you get one with a really hard sponge it is likely to be less sensitive. But you can't loop as easily either. But there is always a down-side to everything.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 10:10 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

If you only want anti for return of serve, you maybe better off learning read spin/serves better. Then you can keep attacking and developing your looping game.

Also, develop your own serves. If can attack 50% of your opponents serves, but win 75% of your serves, you win each game by a 25% margin. And it didn't cost any money of mean giving away your current firepower.

To change to anti or pips, is a total game style change. Less of a change would be short pips. At least you could still hit the ball really well, though looping would be harder.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 19:23 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Shoebox9 wrote:
If you only want anti for return of serve, you maybe better off learning read spin/serves better. Then you can keep attacking and developing your looping game.

Also, develop your own serves. If can attack 50% of your opponents serves, but win 75% of your serves, you win each game by a 25% margin. And it didn't cost any money of mean giving away your current firepower.

To change to anti or pips, is a total game style change. Less of a change would be short pips. At least you could still hit the ball really well, though looping would be harder.

Good words!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 21:47 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

I already twiddle, and I am a penholder. I have noticed that I can answer serves easier with less tackier rubbers and then I twiddle and play the game from there on with my regular rubber.

So yes, I just want the anti to do one thing for me, return the serve. After that I will twiddle and it will have no more use for me.

Although I will definitely do more than that with it, once I get it, to see how it plays against loops, against chops or strong spin returns during the game.

There are no guarantees, but I have a good feeling about this, because I played some games with a bat that had really old worn out rubbers and thats exactly what I want when I receive serve. I couldnt loop as well with them, but thats why I twiddle.

Hope this answers shoebox's question as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 23:04 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

if you want a start with anti you would have to spend a little more cause the 804 still bites spin. I recommend the butterfly anti or toni hold from joola:-) but if i were you i would wait till the lp can comes to place, cause most of the frictionless players would move to the new ones coming out like the dr noob anti the grizzly and the gorilla also hallmark has the mirage. The only disadvantage in using anti in my experience is that anti always give a knuckle ball effect with some degree of sink, this gives your strokes some how limited also when forced back away from the table your only option is too chop, and if you are lazy and a ball pops a little high a decent player can put away these balls.

But give it a go you might be very well suited to it:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 01:17 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
With Seemiller grip, I can use the backside, (anti or pips) without twiddling on backhand and return of serve is one of it's main uses. If they serve to my forhand, I attack.
I have tried penholder and find it almost as easy to use the backside for return of serve on the backhand just like Seemiller grip. If I was to play with penhold, I would use it similar to the Seemiller grip. Able to use the backside for pushing, blocking or RPB attack. It only requires rolling the forarm. It is like having a 3 sided bat. I really don't understand why more penholders don't do it. My current favorite on the backside is 755 OX. Dr. Evil also works well and either one keeps the total weight of the blade very low. Super Special also works well to give servers all their own spin back on serve return but it does weigh more. I played one guy that had such good serves, he was winning 200 or 300 point players better than him just with his serves. I had him is tears trying to figure out what was happening to himself. He got all his own spin back and the look on his face when the ball just took off unpredictably was hard to watch. Without his serve, he wasn't that good.
Chopping off the table with these rubbers also works well on backhand and can be done just like I described for return of serve, just roll the forarm. The amount of chop can be varied with slightly different strokes. 755 has the most versitility but Evil and Anti can also be varied.
A) a straight down chop stroke (gives backspin)
B) a thin stroke under the ball (gives more backspin)
C) a forwards and downwards stroke (gives less backspin)
D) a lift stroke (gives less spin or wobble)
The more spin coming in, the more you can vary the spin going out. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2008, 09:31 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Ranger-man wrote:
I already twiddle, and I am a penholder.

Please disregard my above post. :D

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club