OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Dr Neubauer Rhino
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 07:16 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I would argue funky flight paths are due to less spin reversal. The deader balls have more erratic movements, whereas mega block is very predictable since the reversal is so high. The spin keeps it steady. So I would also agree that rhino is more funky as a result. It's the more reversal part I would assume is inaccurate based on the sheet i have.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 01:22 

skilless_slapper wrote:
I would argue funky flight paths are due to less spin reversal. The deader balls have more erratic movements, whereas mega block is very predictable since the reversal is so high. The spin keeps it steady. So I would also agree that rhino is more funky as a result. It's the more reversal part I would assume is inaccurate based on the sheet i have.

I'm gonna weigh in here, though I've never used MB. (I happily talk about books and films I haven't seen either so, hey! :D )

I had a chance (with Matt Pimple actually; hi Matt!) to play with and against Rhino and Bison on a Matador blade the week before last. As an OX LP (Dtecs user on Matador) the Rhino was fairly easy to pick up and play with, though strangely, I found the Bison easier, more forgiving in regards to bat angle when blocking/pushing. Thus I am now considering another attempt to move from LPs to Fanti. I tried with Transformer awhile back and hated it but these (and the MB from what I've read) are a new generation or are just plain different. I played a few sets with the Bison and, though a complete novice, played ok with it and, at times despite the weight difference to OX pips etc. forgot I was using it.

But most remarkable for me, and the reason for writing this, was playing against the Rhino. That stuff is funky as all get out and funky is more difficult to deal with than straight reversal, no matter how strong it is. Remember how easy Fricless pips were to play against? I consider myself a good player vs LP/anti. I use it and know how to play against it. Serve hard top or no spin into it and whack the pish out of the return. The Rhino, however, gives a serious level of wobble and funk back. It drops off oddly at times and moves in the air like I haven't seen with pips or anti since the advent of the plastic ball. The reversal is very good as well but man, I swung at and missed more service returns than I care to remember. Now Matt is a v experienced/skilled user which no doubt accounts for some of the funk, but I did not have nearly as much trouble vs the Bison. (I had a lot of trouble vs Matt anyway; he was on fire and I was...umm...not!)

Though now, after reading these posts, I'm considering Mega Block! I'll post when I eventually decide!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017, 04:58 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Well, can't disagree with that. Rhino is harder, faster, and produces deader balls.

In return, I think it's harder to use but potentially more difficult to play against. I was noticing people missing my returns on what I thought would be freebie kills. Such as blocking/bumping the ball back too high, yet the opponent would either net it or hit long. Probably had a learning curve that they didn't adjust to. I think these were caused by the dead balls, and in future they'd need to spin the ball more to compensate or hit through. So in that sense I think it's more limited than mega block, since there is only so much reversal the rhino produces. MB essentially gives back what it receives, so heavy heavy loop gets back heavy chop. And with rhino, I think there comes a point where the heavy loop gets returned with only a certain amount of backspin - that would be quite a bit less in proportion to the top spin received.