OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 17:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Gorilla 1.8 ABS sponge
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 06:12 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
I recently had a chance to test the Gorilla with the 1.8mm ABS sponge in a couple of sessions and wanted to share my impressions here mainly in comparison to Bison 1.8:
It has more disruptive effect than any other anti I ever tried (I tested all of the Dr. N antis) with high spin reversal similar or maybe slightly better than Bison. However it produces wobble balls or weird flight paths which I have not seen with any other anti before. People say this is due to the unusual long pips of the Gorilla topsheet which apparently can actually bend depending on ball impact or type of shot you do. BUT...everything comes with a price! The control is not nearly as good as with Bison or Buffalo, which I played more recently. So angle dependency is more pronounced and overall you margins or error are much smaller. Attacking with Gorilla is easier and give more kick and speed with great acceleration probably also due to the longer pips bending. If you attack underspin with it the ball comes back like a topspin loop. So if you play very active or offensive with your anti, Gorilla (if you can tame it) might be nice. Blocks have a low bounce which gave me problems initially and I had to adjust bat angle. Blocks generally have a faster and lower bounce which seems to create problems for opponents though it is not as easy to drop the block real short. If dropping short is your main weapon, Buffalo is the way to go as it does that better than any other anti I have tested.

If I trained 4-5 weeks and was doing drills with a coach, I would play the Gorilla on 1.8 ABS sponge because it is so much more disruptive but since I usually only play like twice a week I will stick with Bison.

By the way, I just got my new Rhino 1.8 in the mail and glued it up last night on my spare Matador blade. I will test it tonight!

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 14:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the comparison Matt Pimple, very useful! :up:

Yes the longer pips must contribute to the higher disturbing effect, although it's hard to imagine the impact would be great beneath the hard and rigid topsheet, but it must make a difference.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 01:53 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Thanks for the comparison Matt Pimple, very useful! :up:

Yes the longer pips must contribute to the higher disturbing effect, although it's hard to imagine the impact would be great beneath the hard and rigid topsheet, but it must make a difference.

I'm not sure but the pips are really long just like on a long pips rubber. They feel fairly soft and bend easily on touch so this was the only explanation I could come up with. I haven't seen those wobble balls or very weird flight paths on any other anti I have tested. I reminded of the old days of frictionless pips.
I am planning to do more testing with it as it was fun to play with though I doubt it will replace the Bison (or the Rhino which I'm also testing now) on my main setup.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 16:52 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Hey Matt,

Do you think the gorilla has more reversal than the new rhino rubber?

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 06:29 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:

Sorry I didn't actually see your question in this thread until just now. I read your post on the Rhino and in my opinion the Rhino actually has one of the best reversals of any of the Neubauer antis I tested which makes me think that there might be something funny about the sheet you got.
In general I would say that the Gorilla probably has the highest reversal along with the Grizzly of the frictionless antis. And contrary to your theory it also produces very funky balls which I believe is due to the fairly long pips; the Rhino has fairly longs pips too when compared to the Buffalo or Bison by the way.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 01:41 

Comparison between this Gorilla and the DMS antispin (transformer, diabolic ...)?

Post subject: Gorilla 1.8 ABS sponge
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 02:58 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Matt Pimple wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

Sorry I didn't actually see your question in this thread until just now. I read your post on the Rhino and in my opinion the Rhino actually has one of the best reversals of any of the Neubauer antis I tested which makes me think that there might be something funny about the sheet you got.
In general I would say that the Gorilla probably has the highest reversal along with the Grizzly of the frictionless antis. And contrary to your theory it also produces very funky balls which I believe is due to the fairly long pips; the Rhino has fairly longs pips too when compared to the Buffalo or Bison by the way.

What blade did you try the Gorilla on?
Also, have you tried the Gorilla and other antis with the new ABS-ball (less spin than seamless balls)?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 14:51 
Super User

Sorry for the late response! I actually tested it on Stiga Allround Classic from the 90's. The idea behind it was to use a slower more controlled blade to tame the Gorilla which is a fast rubber and difficult to play. I would actually like to go back and try it again on the Stiga blade as well as the Matador which is my main blade and maybe the Jackpot.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 18:21 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Matt Pimple wrote:
Sorry for the late response! I actually tested it on Stiga Allround Classic from the 90's. The idea behind it was to use a slower more controlled blade to tame the Gorilla which is a fast rubber and difficult to play. I would actually like to go back and try it again on the Stiga blade as well as the Matador which is my main blade and maybe the Jackpot.

Sounds good.
I have decided to test the Gorilla as well. My Invictus blade is very slow and controlled on low impact. Actually rather similar to Stiga Allround classic. But I am not sure what version to try. I am thinking 1,5 mm ABS. Or perhaps The original in 1,3 mm. I just mailed Neubauer a few questions about if spin reversal is any worse on the ABS version, and if original 1,3 mm is faster ir slower than 1,0 mm. Do you know? I am thinking about changing my game a little to less like the Luka blocking style and more like Siriam aggressive pushing style when it comes to BH. With the ABS ball there just is not spin enough to rely on anti-blocks so I need to be more aggressive in my main game pattern.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 09:20 
Super User

Def-attack, with the original Gorilla sponge the thicker the faster, hence the 1.3 is the fastest one. Sriram plays with the 1.3 version. The Gorilla is not easy to control even in the 1.8 ABS version which is why I had the idea of restoring my old Stiga All Classic and using it for this test.