OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 11:59 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
This is not a troll question. Here is my situation.

So I was playing with my dad the other day. He was using Butterfly Addoy premade from like 8 years ago. The rubber is so old the surface has no grip left at all(even when compared to a new Addoy premade bat, which has the least grip of all premades to begin with), and when I play him, a lot of my shots go into the net from a weird backspin that seems to come from nowhere. He can also hit through my serve. I later found that it's my own spin coming back to me, as adjusting to flat no spin shots helps a lot.

So my question is, how is an Anti different from a long kept non-grippy rubber, provided that the sponge and top sheet remains intact? Is anti way more slick?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 13:28 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Mimobrok wrote:
This is not a troll question. Here is my situation.

So I was playing with my dad the other day. He was using Butterfly Addoy premade from like 8 years ago. The rubber is so old the surface has no grip left at all(even when compared to a new Addoy premade bat, which has the least grip of all premades to begin with), and when I play him, a lot of my shots go into the net from a weird backspin that seems to come from nowhere. He can also hit through my serve. I later found that it's my own spin coming back to me, as adjusting to flat no spin shots helps a lot.

So my question is, how is an Anti different from a long kept non-grippy rubber, provided that the sponge and top sheet remains intact? Is anti way more slick?

I'll leave it to anti players to provide definitive opinion, but I suspect your intuition is correct - these old rubbers from premade pretty much act like antis, the biggest difference is probably that 'anti' is in this condition from Day 1.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 13:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I tend to agree. Another thing is that really old rubbers are usually very inconsistant, as the rubber 'wears' differently over the area of the surface, while the new anti is consistant over the whole surface. Anti rubbers also come in a variety of sponge, some ultra slow, some quite fast, so an old rubber is likely to fall somewhere in between (and possibly also very inconsistant over the area of the rubber).

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 14:08 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Mimobrok wrote:

Sounds like your dad's old rubber is giving him a bit of passive spin reversal. Some of the slicker classic anti's will do that. Friction-less anti's are even slicker.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 16:56 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Solution, buy him a new paddle for a present on a birthday or father's day.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 18:39 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

AFAIK most antispin rubbers come on a fairly dead sponge, which is also what you get with the "basic" premades (like the few Addoys I have touched).

I think the sponge deteriorates slower than the topsheet, so with a better racket you may get a "fast anti" first, until the sponge also breaks down. I have seen players using that to great effect, but for me it's unplayable...

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 18:40 
Super User

Serve short to him most of the time varying placements. Throw the occasional long serve in again varying placement when you do. Light topspin his returns and wait for the right one to put away. Patience is a virtue when playing someone with a dead set-up. ;)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 22:02 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
to add,

there actually several kind of anti rubber, e.g.,
- Donic Anti just a ridiculously unspinny Sriver Class topsheet on ridiculously slow normal sponge. You can play normal looping game in slo~w motion. Addoy and Wakaba, if built in 1.8 mm sponge, would feel the same.
- Butterfly Super Anti put rock hard super slick topsheet on memory foam. impossible to chop with, I give up.
- I am sure there an anti that have rock hard sponge but have top sheet that act like memory foam, for no nonsense block and drive style.

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 22:49 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1- 1.9MM
BH: GD Meteorite .05MM
I've never played with anti, and really haven't played too many people with anti; so I'll be of no help there.

However, I've played against a boat load of people with dead rubber. One thing that I notice that dead rubber does, is that sponge bottoms out. By that I mean, when the ball is struck the ball sinks all the way into the sponge and hits the wood of the blade, taking the spin off the ball and producing sometimes a knuckling affect.

What throws me off and I'm sure many others, is when the ball is struck by the opponent, (lets say a forehand topspin ball to their forehand side) the stroke appears to be a normal stroke so your mind's muscle memory assumes the amount of spin on the ball, and you adjust accordingly. Only to find that there isn't any spin or so little spin that you shoot the ball off the end of the table 90% of the time.

Best thing for me when playing someone with dead rubber is to keep my wrist locked and flat hit everything.

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm