OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 17:08 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Dusty054 wrote:
I would like to try FLanti, but the main thing that concerns me is their durability. I have no experience with them personally and someone can correct me if I am generalising too much, but I have read quite a few reports of them losing their frictionless qualities rather quickly and these Neubauer/DMS rubbers are not cheap. This contrasts with classic anti where the opposite can happen. I’ve had anti power and super anti that has gotten more slippery as it aged.

With the new plastic balls (ABS, such as Stiga Perform) that won’t make much of a difference since the spin reversal is clearly worse now. It seems like Neubauer ABS anti as the same properties for a long time, I would start with that. That is a hard rubber, if you want a softer feeling I think DMS Diabolic would be the best. Mega Block is slower but has less spin reversal.

The main advantage of anti compared to lp ox is that you can use a fast blade and still have a very slow BH. But lp works better with the new ball and you can probably vary your spin and attacks better with lp. But you need a slower blade...

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 00:25 

Thanx for the answers all

Whats the biggest difference in the thickness of Megablock?

I have just tried the Diabolic antispin in 1.6 and it seemed to me the ball was getting too high when blocking loops, and not very consistant all in all, therefore i think I should try a 1,0 or even 0,6. Then the blocks would be lower right?

@skilless_slapper whats you take on the 2.0 or 1.6 vs a 1.0 or 0.6?

I allready play with a very slow blade FIRESTARTER so I guess a 0.6 Megablock still would be slow enough ;)

Andro HD 2,0
-----------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 00:41 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

evander wrote:

I have just tried the Diabolic antispin in 1.6 and it seemed to me the ball was getting too high when blocking loops, and not very consistant all in all, therefore i think I should try a 1,0 or even 0,6. Then the blocks would be lower right?

I allready play with a very slow blade FIRESTARTER so I guess a 0.6 Megablock still would be slow enough ;)

What blade did you use with Diabolic? What ball? You need a blade with low throw. Balsa is usually not good for anti. Carbon blade is usually good. DMS Revolution or Neubauer Matador seem to be considered the best for frictionless antis.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 02:27 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
evander wrote:

I use the diabolic 1.0 as well. When compared to mega block, diabolic is faster and harder. I also think it's a bit more angle sensitive when blocking. The mega block is more forgiving but perhaps less dangerous for the opponent unless they are weaker against short blocks.

When drilling I prefer the diabolic but in live games I make more mistakes with it. Just the adjustment period. Diabolic is the most Dr neubaeur-like rubber that dms produces imo. It's closer to the new rhino but softer by a bit.

Mb in .6 is still going to be fairly slow. The thinner the sponge gets the longer your blocks get but the more reversal as well. The trade off is going to be control or slowness vs spin reversal and attacking speed.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 03:33 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Def-attack wrote:
But lp works better with the new ball and you can probably vary your spin and attacks better with lp.

Curious why you have that view. I've seen more players switching to frictionless anti with the new ball, precisely because the new ball makes spin reversal with LP so minimal, but I've also seen a contrary approach, where LP players are switching to grippier, stiffer LPs to generate more spin and create a more dynamic game. I assume you think that even with frictionless anti, the spin reversal with the new ball is not high enough, so better to adopt that opposite strategy?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 05:49 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
But lp works better with the new ball and you can probably vary your spin and attacks better with lp.

Curious why you have that view. I've seen more players switching to frictionless anti with the new ball, precisely because the new ball makes spin reversal with LP so minimal, but I've also seen a contrary approach, where LP players are switching to grippier, stiffer LPs to generate more spin and create a more dynamic game. I assume you think that even with frictionless anti, the spin reversal with the new ball is not high enough, so better to adopt that opposite strategy?

Yes, with ABS ball back spin is almost zero and the ball grips the anti in a way that other plastic balls did not, making blocks sometimes go long and high, sometimes low and short.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 20:07 

Def-attack wrote:
evander wrote:

What blade did you use with Diabolic? What ball? You need a blade with low throw. Balsa is usually not good for anti. Carbon blade is usually good. DMS Revolution or Neubauer Matador seem to be considered the best for frictionless antis.

It was Invictus from Der Materialspezialist, I tried with Diabolic. With the new plastic ball.

Well I just has the thought it would be easier to make a very passive block (90 degrees blade angle, almost) with FLanti, I find it easier with my LP setup Firestarter blade with Hellfire OX LP.

Hmmm....

Andro HD 2,0

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 02:09 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

evander wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
evander wrote:

It was Invictus from Der Materialspezialist, I tried with Diabolic. With the new plastic ball.

Well I just has the thought it would be easier to make a very passive block (90 degrees blade angle, almost) with FLanti, I find it easier with my LP setup Firestarter blade with Hellfire OX LP.

Hmmm....

Invictus is ok for Diabolic but both are rather dynamic, could be difficult to control.

Invictus is great for LP ox, try Hellfire on that blade.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 20:31 

Yes But I wanted to change from LP til Anti ;)

I have found the best LP setup for me in FIRESTARTER blade and HELLFIRE OX.

Andro HD 2,0

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 02:20 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
The blade depends on your intended play style. If you like short, slow blocks... or perhaps faster blocks, and more attacking oriented hits against backspin with the anti.

I prefer the more active style, so I generally prefer my FLanti on fast blades so I can attack easier. Such as the garaydia ZLC or ALC.

I've tried slower blades, and while it is easier to block short... once the opponent figures this out, they can usually adjust their position to the table. The issue then becomes can they play from this new distance? Or if you can attack well with your FH and drive them back a bit, then block short etc.

If possible, I'd like to keep the garaydia ZLC blade on the backhand, but change the forehand out for something like the Liu Shiwen or even the innershield ZLF! But of course, those blades are nothing alike... so again, it depends on what you plan to do and how often. The trade offs, sacrifices, etc.

You can play with slow blades on the anti, but the reversal is less and you have to hit into the ball if you want longer/speedier blocks. That is harder to do in live games since hitting into the ball (at angles etc) will often result in unconscious angle changes to your blade, which are very important for anti blockers. So I'd say don't use a slow/flexy blade unless you are very FH dominant and prefer those setups. If you are BH oriented and plan to 'block them down' more often then you should go with a faster setup. Even a super fast setup with the FLanti should be fine once you adjust. If you like that strategy, of course...