OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Dr Neubauer TARANTULA
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 01:27 

The new antispin rubber is announced on Dr Neubauer web site.

From the Neubauer:

"We have managed to further enhance the effectiveness of Anti-Spin rubbers while blocking close to the table with plastic balls.
The new plastic balls and especially the ABS balls produce considerably less spin, which automatically results in less spin reversal.
Our new Anti-Spin rubber TARANTULA produces the maximum available spin reversal with these new balls.
More importantly, as opposed to most other frictionless Anti-Spin rubbers on the market, TARANTULA will also enable you to keep producing very short blocking with a low bouncing ball, making it difficult for your opponent to launch the next attacking stroke.
Even fast topspin shots and flat hits can be returned safely, with a noticeable sinking effect of the ball.

TARANTULA can be used both on classic "combination" blades as well as on fast and stiff offensive blades thanks to the absorption power of its dampening sponge that will literally "kill" the speed of the oncoming ball. "

I really like the name of the rubber. Did anyone tried this rubber, and can compare it to the current antispins on the market?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 03:42 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I read at Noppentest a post from Simon Huth that he is to try it soon, it is probably not for sale yet... He says it has a different sponge from the others, a green one :o.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 06:51 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
bump:)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 03:44 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
I played with Tarantula 1.8mm (in red) on an OSP Ultimate blade yesterday for about 2.5 hours with one of my standard practice buddies who knows my game very well; we initially did some drill and then played a bunch of practice matches. Here my initial impressions of the Tarantula vs. Rhino+ which I played on the same blade before:

- the Tarantula has similar speed like Rhino+ and is faster than Bison; it's not a super slow anti
- it has a softer touch compared to Rhino+ due to a softer green sponge (this is not the same pinkish sponge that most other Dr. N antis use); I actually really liked its softer touch
- spin reversal slightly higher than Rhino+ according to my buddy but less wobble or funky balls
- easier to attack with in particular no spin balls; attacking shots had a lower bounce and more sink which really troubled my buddy
- return of serve was a little easier in particular no spin or fast serves
- control similar to Rhino+ which I would call very good for GlAnti; initially I hit a few balls into the net due to the lower bounce

I was able to more or less play well with the Tarantula right away as it plays like a softer Rhino+ with a little lower bounce to me; results in practice matches with my buddy were the same to our results from 2 days before with Rhino+. I will leave it on for now and continue to play with it. I still need to work a little bit on blocking though.

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 01:22 
Super User

I was able to play another session with the Tarantula 1.8 last night against a modern defender whose USATT rating is almost 200 point higher than mine. My initial results were essentially confirmed. I was able to play very safe with the Tarantula and liked the return of serve very much. I was also able to drop his heavy chops very short which caused him some trouble. Attacking was good too though I mainly tried to use that to set up my forehand. I will need another session to work on blocks but it didn't play much of a role last night.

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 02:20 

Damn it, Matt! Just when I'd decided to go with Rhino+...and then S&T Super Stop...you've got me thinking about Tarantula. I need to try a few rubbers every off season, just so I can end up going back to DTecs when matches start! :rofl:

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 02:39 
Super User

kevgeomcc wrote:
Damn it, Matt! Just when I'd decided to go with Rhino+...and then S&T Super Stop...you've got me thinking about Tarantula. I need to try a few rubbers every off season, just so I can end up going back to DTecs when matches start! :rofl:

Kev, I think that both Rhino+ and Tarantula want to played more offensively so keep that in mind when thinking about trying either one. Also coming from LN ox which has a harder feel, the Tarantula might feel a bit too soft since it got a softer sponge than Rhino+. Just a couple of points to keep in mind. The Super Stop is a classic anti so no reversal here at all so you better play it aggressively, just sticking it in there won't do it.

PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 05:15 

Yeah, Matt, I was thinking of trying out the antis mentioned for 2 reasons, the first being I want to attack more. I already attack US with heavy pushes but now I want to hit with more consistency as well. I think it's only way to go with the new balls unless you twiddle which, for me just doesn't come naturally. I figure, I can already hit, I just need to do it with more consistency whereas twiddling, though I do it on serve and serve return w/out thinking, just won't click in during rallies.

I have been hitting and practising hitting w the DTecs a good bit lately and it's working out alright though I would be willing to trade a bit of the Grass's pace--there is no funk anymore at all, particularly with the ABS--and reversal for the ability to hit more consistently. Also I'd like to try a slightly faster blade for the FH which I think the slower antis would allow. That's why I was thinking of the Super Stop. There are some, particularly on the German forums that you contribute to, who think traditional anti might be the way forward with ABS.

I was also thinking...and you may think it mad...that going from the DTecs to Gorilla mightn't be such a leap and might cover all the bases.

Also, funnily enough, I was thinking of switching to Clipper and then you made your review of the Ultimate... We'll see... :^)

PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 08:15 
Super User

kevgeomcc wrote:
I just need to do it with more consistency whereas twiddling, though I do it on serve and serve return w/out thinking, just won't click in during rallies.

It'll come more naturally in matches with time just like any other new technique. Start by working on it in drills and eventually it'll just happen.

kevgeomcc wrote:
...I was thinking of the Super Stop. There are some, particularly on the German forums that you contribute to, who think traditional anti might be the way forward with ABS.

Yes but there reasoning was that it allows them to block short. They believe that with lower spin on the ABS balls and hence lower reversal the best way to prevent people from relooping would be to drop the ball short. I am not in that camp! Once people figure it out, they will flip your short balls which don't have as much underspin as before AND bounce a little higher and that's worse to me than somebody looping. A fast flip with not much spin on is far more difficult to block! I believe you have to be able to attack yourself (which is why I like Rhino+ and Tarantula currently) but also vary your placement (long blocks, dropping short, etc.).

kevgeomcc wrote:
I was also thinking...and you may think it mad...that going from the DTecs to Gorilla mightn't be such a leap and might cover all the bases.

I do think you are mad! :rofl: But give it a go...why not. I still have a new Gorilla with 1.8 ABS sponge lying around which I never got around to test.

kevgeomcc wrote:
Also, funnily enough, I was thinking of switching to Clipper and then you made your review of the Ultimate... We'll see... :^)

I tested a Clipper a few years ago before I switched to anti and still played MP. It's thicker, faster, harder and much less controlled than Ultimate. Like I said, I couldn't tell how anti might work on it.
I have an Ultimate II in the mail now... :?:

PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 15:35 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
kevgeomcc wrote:
Yeah, Matt, I was thinking of trying out the antis mentioned for 2 reasons, the first being I want to attack more. I already attack US with heavy pushes but now I want to hit with more consistency as well. I think it's only way to go with the new balls unless you twiddle which, for me just doesn't come naturally. I figure, I can already hit, I just need to do it with more consistency whereas twiddling, though I do it on serve and serve return w/out thinking, just won't click in during rallies.

I have been hitting and practising hitting w the DTecs a good bit lately and it's working out alright though I would be willing to trade a bit of the Grass's pace--there is no funk anymore at all, particularly with the ABS--and reversal for the ability to hit more consistently. Also I'd like to try a slightly faster blade for the FH which I think the slower antis would allow. That's why I was thinking of the Super Stop. There are some, particularly on the German forums that you contribute to, who think traditional anti might be the way forward with ABS.

Clipper has a lot higher throw angle than most blades one would consider for an anti-blocking game. But it is a very nice blade, although not much control compared to more modern blades with the same speed.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 10:58 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Have a chance to try the new Tarantula rubber...

Previously a had been using the bison rubber. Using that I've developed quite a few good techniques to deal with dead balls, Seeing as how most people would serve dead trying to thwart the anti. I shut that down fast and was able to attack quite frequently with the bison even against moderate top spin balls. Swapping to the tarantula it was not my 1st rubber from the doctor. In my experience the DMS rubbers had the most spin reversal by decent margin.

So imagine my surprise when blocking with the tarantula seemed to produce even more spin reversal than any of the DMS or bison rubbers! I had to open the blade face to a noticeable degree, well beyond what I had been accustomed to. This also resulted in my attacks going haywire! My dialed in strokes were all of a sudden causing more harm than good... it did not feel much slower than the bison or rhino or any other dr n anti. It is faster than mega block and reflection for sure... similar in speed to the diabolic, but with a harder feel in my estimation.

Those are my initial impressions. Not sure I'd keep it over the bison just because I find bison easier to attack with. I'll play some more tonight with both and see which shines more for me.

Suffice it to say, tarantula is a quality rubber! Very high reversal and good, not great, dampening effect. I'm of the opinion that speed coupled with a moderately junky ball is harder for most opponents than a simple short ball block. So I prefer the majority of my blocks and punches going quickly to hard angles. If you like the "safer" and shorter blocks, then dms are still superior.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 16:04 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I'm curious and considering experimenting with Tarantula but wondering if the rubber and its sticky sheet can be removed and transferred to different blades? Or is this easier to do with the DMS ones?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 01:05 
Super User

Dusty054 wrote:
I'm curious and considering experimenting with Tarantula but wondering if the rubber and its sticky sheet can be removed and transferred to different blades?

Yes you can remove the rubber and then move it to a different blade but I always use rubber cement (Elmer's) on the blade and the glue sheet because it makes it easier to remove the rubber. You still need to do it very carefully though and it is a good idea to use something like a spatula to lift the rubber. I use a little bit of acetone to make it easier to lift the rubber (acetone dissolves the rubber cement and I'm a chemist).
In general, the Tarantula is not the easiest frictionless anti to play with if you just want to try it out. It's relatively fast for a fanti and requires good technique.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 08:17 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Matt Pimple wrote:
Dusty054 wrote:
I'm curious and considering experimenting with Tarantula but wondering if the rubber and its sticky sheet can be removed and transferred to different blades?

Yes you can remove the rubber and then move it to a different blade but I always use rubber cement (Elmer's) on the blade and the glue sheet because it makes it easier to remove the rubber. You still need to do it very carefully though and it is a good idea to use something like a spatula to lift the rubber. I use a little bit of acetone to make it easier to lift the rubber (acetone dissolves the rubber cement and I'm a chemist).
In general, the Tarantula is not the easiest frictionless anti to play with if you just want to try it out. It's relatively fast for a fanti and requires good technique.

Thanks, well I don’t usually like really slow anti’s. Last one I used was Django which on Neubauer website is rated faster than Tarantula.

I’ve never used rubber cement. What’s the advantage over normal water based glues?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 04:14 
Super User

Dusty054 wrote:
Thanks, well I don’t usually like really slow anti’s. Last one I used was Django which on Neubauer website is rated faster than Tarantula.

I’ve never used rubber cement. What’s the advantage over normal water based glues?

If you don't like really slow antis than Tarantula is good. For me it was the best of the frictionless Dr. N antis (I tested all) for attacking in particular smashing underspin balls over the table.

I'm not sure there is a distinct advantage of using rubber cement over wbg, it just depends on what you prefer. Rubber cement is cheap though ($4 for 8oz.) and can easily be dissolved with acetone which I do to remove my antis from the blade.