OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 14:43 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I use it on a Stiga Garbonado 90 blade (rather fast) and it works great. But you need to attack with some force...
Like this (me against robot):
http://youtu.be/kVUHXMQkB3k

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 15:23 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
univesse wrote:
I put a 1.5mm on a Mazunov blade. It’s still quite slow, amazingly. Mazunov is very stiff though, and I think a rather low throw angle. But with 1.5mm Reflection, I would not be afraid to put it on a fast and springier Carbon blade, even with higher elasticity. I felt it didn’t have many gears though, just security through slowness. For me, I realized I need more gears from my Anti though as just slow makes it rather teethless (toothless?) for the opponent, and I need to be prepared to win the points with my other rubber. Cheers

I slapped it on a timo boll t5000... didn't realize it was actually "faster" than my garaydia blades! But even so, you're right about the slowness. Very short blocks still -- far, far shorter than the dr. N tarantula or bison+.

The tarantula seems quite a bit better at attacking no-spin or light top spin balls. Much faster there, and is more capable of hitting through the ball with power.

However... the blocks are substantially faster, longer. Which for my game, usually means they're able to attack the ball again. Anything going off the table can be re-looped or if too high, smashed. With the reflection, it's tremendously easier and more consistent to keep the balls short. Yet, I can also still punch against back spin balls. My bread and butter point winning hit!

Blocks do seem to go a bit higher, but could be from me using tarantula recently and getting accustomed to that angle. All in all, I think the reflection will suit me better. Easier time adding power to shots, rather than 'cushioning' the fast loops/slams coming at me on the fly.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 07:12 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
I use it on a Stiga Garbonado 90 blade (rather fast) and it works great. But you need to attack with some force...

What stroke do you play against really short and low dead balls? Say someone serves to your front left corner, dropping it just over the net?

I usually do a kind of "push" stroke, where I cant add any spin but I can keep it low and short. Maybe a 45 degree angle on the push, but only bumping it back over.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 16:09 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

skilless_slapper wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

What stroke do you play against really short and low dead balls? Say someone serves to your front left corner, dropping it just over the net?

I usually do a kind of "push" stroke, where I cant add any spin but I can keep it low and short. Maybe a 45 degree angle on the push, but only bumping it back over.

I usually try to do a sidesweep against those. But if I am late and can’t take the ball at highest point I fo line you, a soft, low, forward push. The important thing in such case is placement of the ball, to opponents body or somewhere where you won’t get a strong attack back.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 04:11 
Super User

A pleasant surprise! I was able to move the reflection to another blade, entirely and totally unscathed!

I put a thin layer of liquid glue on the blade before applying the glue sheet. Apparently that helped tremendously, as I was able to lift off the anti rubber without a single crease, keeping the glue sheet on.

Playing wise, i miss the speed of tarantula at times. It has a naturally flatter and more direct trajectory. But the length is still a problem. And I don't think you can get such flat ball arcs and have it super slow. To me it seems the speed flattens it out, while the slowness happens when the ball is returned a bit higher as with reflection. Sure you can close your blade angle to reduce the height, however during games this is quite tricky to do at high speeds. Just some thoughts comparing the 2

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 16:41 

Blade: Stiga Hypertech 35/45
FH: Nittaku G-1 Max
BH: Butterfy SuperAnti 2.0 mm
I am thinking to try my Reflection on a BTY SK Carbon next (happy to hear I can take it off the blade!), but am tempted to go with even faster & springier blade. I recently won over two 2200+ US players with it on a Mazunov, and it felt quite good and safe. Although I had a bit of a tough time against a 1900 player who was using Diabolic - he definitely outplayed me on the backhands.. Either way, the Mazunov being so stiff, I have hard time imparting good top spin so in the meantime I'm back to my old setup (Stiga Hypertech + BTY SuperAnti 2.0mm). Here's a short video I took today, and would appreciate any constructive criticism :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL9Jj415QsU

The main reason I think to switch to Reflection is that I can't control the SuperAnti on anything faster than Allround blade, when blocking power loops. The block it did on 1.13 min of the video was only consistently possible due to the slower blade..

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 19:43 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

univesse wrote:
I am thinking to try my Reflection on a BTY SK Carbon next (happy to hear I can take it off the blade!), but am tempted to go with even faster & springier blade. I recently won over two 2200+ US players with it on a Mazunov, and it felt quite good and safe. Although I had a bit of a tough time against a 1900 player who was using Diabolic - he definitely outplayed me on the backhands.. Either way, the Mazunov being so stiff, I have hard time imparting good top spin so in the meantime I'm back to my old setup (Stiga Hypertech + BTY SuperAnti 2.0mm). Here's a short video I took today, and would appreciate any constructive criticism :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL9Jj415QsU

The main reason I think to switch to Reflection is that I can't control the SuperAnti on anything faster than Allround blade, when blocking power loops. The block it did on 1.13 min of the video was only consistently possible due to the slower blade..

Good game, very nice attacks on both sides. If you change from classic anti to Reflection you can have almost as fast blade as you can buy :). In 1,5 mm it is so slow that all loops can be blocked just holding the bat in the right angle. Smashes may be handled with some backwards movement to dampen the speed.

Have you used frictionless anti before? Perhaps you will need to change your came pattern some. Attacking anything but backspin is very difficult with Reflection.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 01:32 
Super User

Does anyone know how mega block 2.0 compares to reflection 1.5 speed wise?

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 02:04 

Thanks for the feedback DA. My Reflection is 1.5mm and I agree about the slowness and need to change my strokes. With the SA I almost do like normal strokes but with the Reflection was different. I've also tried MB 2.0mm but was not slow/absorbing enough for me. With the Reflection I think they finally succeeded, hands down. Even considering a 1.2mm next to gain some bounce :)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 02:13 

skilless_slapper wrote:
Does anyone know how mega block 2.0 compares to reflection 1.5 speed wise?

I've tried both on the same blade. The MB 2.0mm felt harder and bouncier, and I couldn't dampen oncoming power loops well with it (at the time I was comparing it against SA 2.0mm). The Reflection feels an order of magnitude slower in that regard, at least for my strokes.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 06:42 
Super User

I managed to pry up an older mb 2.0 and remount it on the same blade (no forehand rubber though, which I think makes the blade feel faster).

From my testing... they were about the same in speed! The mb 2.0 had a mushier feel from the thicker sponge, and was perhaps slightly slower as a result. Not to any real noticeable degree in my estimation.

All in all, I think msp has done their best work yet! Best spin reversal, best dampening and... well, the longevity remains to be seen!

I tested against dr n bison, tarantula and rhino. All of those are much much faster! Easier to attack with, but harder to control all around. My game style is closest to amir's backhand dominant playing, so it seems to work for me as well with the reflection. Those looking to forehand attack more often might enjoy the dr n rubbers overall, since their returns are faster and with better footwork open up easier forehand winners.

I feel the reflection style anti is better for those basing their game around the anti itself. Blocks and aggressive pushes, since it limits the opponents ability to utilize attacks of their own.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 01:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Hi,everyone!

I have been training with Scandal 0.9 for some more time and I think I got the hang of it quite all right, so I decided to change my plan for last weekend's tournament .

I started testing Reflection in 0.9 on Nittaku Ludeack.At the beginning I blocked short and low especially on the bh but I had lots of problems to block low with the fast long no spin ball . Also, I soon realised I had to figure out the angles more precisely with Reflection than with Scandal .This is an issue , so for me to keep on using Reflection I must train lots and lots of hours .

As far as reversal goes Reflection has much more than Scandal so I absolutely agree with Def Attack's findings .The most problematic block was a loop to my fh; I sent them all long ; this fact made me lose easy points at the tournament . :(

Therefore, I did watch some Amir videos and have copied the way he blocks on the bh; so I think the problem is fixed- I must train this technique a lot in my training sessions -

The tournament was a roller coaster.Great sets interspersed with terrible mistakes, however, I went from ' the fire into the frying pan' :lol: , getting better and better.My mistakes led me to the Final B :( , however, I reached the final and just lost 2-3.

So ,coming from LP to Flanti , with just one week of training and reaching the final B , I think it is a decent start with The Flanti world .

Bottom line : Reflection in 0.9 . for me -is more dangerous than Scandal , however, it will take longer to master it as the angles have to be really mastered .

I will try to test Scandal 0.9 on another blade to see if the blade affects the rubber performance- which I think it does -.

I got a Deluxe Carbom blade, which is said to be perfect for Scandal and even Reflection , in fact , it is the one that Amir seems to be using right now . :clap:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 05:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
The most problematic block was a loop to my fh;?????????
u mean b/h yeah?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 09:59 
Super User

From Char Def's signature and equipment currently in use and under test - On Reflection he could have twiddled to block with the Flanti on his FH? That's Scandal. :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 18:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Dear P.Pong, sometimes it seems I do not explain myself clearly,I am sorry - I am working on it :) - when I said : " The most problematic block was a loop to my fh " , I should have said : " the most problematic block was a loop to my forehand side and I tried to block like Amir does with the Flanti , not having twiddled and moving with the bh side to block the ball on the fh side " .
.... and yes, as TTbuddy's put it so brilliantly ; his observation could have also been implemented 'scandalously ' . :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next