OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 10:52 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
if you dont have a strong fh and you use anti to attack and finish the points with it, than slow damping anti is not advised...AA, Amy and Sriram, all fall in that category...

but if you have anti just to get to your fh to prepare a point, than slow anti is working fine...Carlos Arcila and some others...

all of the above imho ofc...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Last edited by 111Iceman111 on 29 Apr 2018, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 11:49 
Super User

I think you nailed it Iceman as that is exactly my observation and thinking too ;)

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 12:01 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
111Iceman111 wrote:
if you dont have a strong fh and you use anti to attack and finish the points with it, than slow damping anti is not advised...AA, Amy and Sriram, all fall in that category...

but if you have anti just to get to you fh to prepare a point than slow anti is working fine...Carlos Arcila and some others...

all of the above imho ofc...

Yes, I think that about sums it up! Similar to choppers, I suppose -- some use the backhand LP just as a 'safety shot' to stay in the rally, while others use it for manipulating spin and trying to gain points.

Such as Liu Song/Sun Jian Fei vs Shiono/Chet for example.

I use the anti for offensive purposes, so perhaps that's why the slow ones never fit well with me.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 13:07 
Super User

Spot on SS. I use my LP for disruptive hitting and blocking at a recreational level without the BIG Liu Song FH. If only I had that FH :P

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 00:19 

Please let me know if your reflection's rebound is higher, equal or lower than this (from approx. 40 cm)
https://youtu.be/Q6lwJzLo9dE

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 01:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
CelestialBoy wrote:
Please let me know if your reflection's rebound is higher, equal or lower than this (from approx. 40 cm)
https://youtu.be/Q6lwJzLo9dE

About the same for me:
http://youtu.be/GSbCwZW9ymQ

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 11:18 
Super User

I wonder what rubber Amir would use, setting aside the sponsorship/promoting!?

Is every new DMS rubber really the BEST one they offer? Or is he using each new one mainly for promotion purposes?

I'd like to see an objective list of what DMS rubber is better at what compared to the other ones. I think I've purchased just about every one of their anti spins at one point or another, and really can't see a ton of difference from one to the next (transformer era and after) -- although diabolic was quite dissimilar in appearance and feel.

My preference is still probably mega-block in thinner sponges. Is the reversal from reflection much better, or any better, than mega block?

At this point is it kind of like tenergy? Where there are some minor differences here and there, but for most amateurs they can play equally well with any of them?

**Not meant to single out DMS, either! As Dr Neubauer does the same thing "newest and best reversal on the market! shortest blocks!" with every new rubber, so just marketing hype of course... but curious as to play experiences

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 17:07 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
skilless_slapper wrote:

i work as a lawyer so i am lucky that i am not dependant on any sponsoring and thus playing with the best material (for me) is far more important than any sponsership could be. luckily so far i havent come across a slick anti from a different company where i would hope it were produced by dms. dont get me wrong, antis like rhino really are good. but if you work together with a company in the process of creating antis, it is clear that it will be better suited.

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 02:10 
Super User

AA wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

i work as a lawyer so i am lucky that i am not dependant on any sponsoring and thus playing with the best material (for me) is far more important than any sponsership could be. luckily so far i havent come across a slick anti from a different company where i would hope it were produced by dms. dont get me wrong, antis like rhino really are good. but if you work together with a company in the process of creating antis, it is clear that it will be better suited.

I mean specifically for the DMS rubbers, I think those are the best anyway after having tried quite a few others.

Is there much of a difference from one DMS rubber to the next (transformer/mega/diabolic/reflection)? Or are the newest ones basically an improvement from the older ones? I tried out the reflection 1.6, and to me it felt like the diabolic top on a softer sponge but not all that drastically different from mega-block when playing in game. When I play it seems the sponge thickness matters more than whichever anti I'm using from DMS.

For my mini-review, I'd say reflection feels like mega-block but the surface is a little slicker so the reversal is a bit higher.

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 14:11 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
@skilless_slapper- i would say that the biggest differences where the changes from rubber to rubber before the mega block. but also the reflection is very much different, as its really much slower than anything else including mega block and creates the shortest blocks. concerning "better": a lot of that is taste, depending on which qualities/properties you want for your game

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 03:06 

Just back from the gym.
I have tried Reflection red 0.9 on Timo Boll ALC with the DHS D40+ ABS ball.
The spin reversal was not as good as with the poly ball but it was still good to play.
It may really depend on the style of playing.
I was able to win a lot of points by placement and short blocks.
Of course a lot of practice is necessary to get everything managed more intuitively, but over all a very promising training session :)
I need to adapt Amir’s attackes!!!

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 19:21 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I have been playing a lot these last days (competition with ABS-ball Stiga Perform), and my sheet of Reflection is well worn now. Its initial supreme frictionlessness is gone, but it is still good enough I think. It is much easier to block with than Diabolic, very similar to Mega-Block. But spin reversal is a tad better than MB. I haven’t used it on any other blade than Stiga Carbonado 190 so I guss it would be a little better on Revolution. I may try it on a Stiga Offensive Carbon later.

You can block strong loops very shortly and if opponent use a lot of top spin (if they loop against back spin) you will have a block that they will have lots of respect for. It they push it will sometimes go to the net or you will be able to attack it. If they attack you can block again. I had several occasions where opponents pushes sailed away far or straight to the net, and many loops that hit the net (also many loops that were far to long). So the effect is still there, just not as much.

With the old plastic ball one could loop 2-3 times against block before they netted (most netted on second loop). With ABS-ball the back spin won’t build up like that, but they still need to calculate the back spin from the block and adapt to it, and move to the ball if you aim the block somewhere else. Opponent will rarely go for a winner if you manage to keep the block low.

But you must keep the block low. If it is high it must be long, then it is dangerous. Also, the slowness of the block is very important. I won as many points from opponent misreading speed as misreading spin.

The weakness of Reflection (at least compared to Diabolic) is attacking. But this is also due to lack of spin from the ABS ball. You can serve short with back spin and side spin and then attack the push. That works nice, since the ball curve a lot. But without the sidespin or very good placement (or very good speed as Amir does) your opponent will just kill your attack. Returning serves ar also less effective if you return long. But you can do very short returns, those can be very effective.

All in all, even with a worn Reflection and ABS-balls, you can still play a rather successful game with anti-blocks, but you need to be able to keep blocks low, and you need to be able to attack with FH (and it is very good to be able to twiddle). I will most likely continue using anti for the next season.

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 22:56 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
happy to hear you will stay on anti friend :up:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 17:40 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

111Iceman111 wrote:

:)

I made sure to use DMS pro cleaner before every match and I tried to use a well worn ball. Once I had an all new ball, so I just poured some water on it and dried it. But used balls are a little better for the anti.

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 17:46 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Def-attack wrote:
111Iceman111 wrote:

:)

I made sure to use DMS pro cleaner before every match and I tried to use a well worn ball. Once I had an all new ball, so I just poured some water on it and dried it. But used balls are a little better for the anti.
Even as a double inverted player I do that with new balls to avoid getting the white dust on my bat. But if it were that effective at reducing friction (I don't think it is until the ball wears, as you state) you wouldn't gain much as you would be making your inverted less effective. Like every equipment choice in TT it has pros and cons!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

185g

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next