OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 02:36 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
OK fellow anti-spin aficionados. Now you can see the techniques of a TWO-WINGED anti player as he wins an under-1900 tournament in Arizona. This guy uses Butterfly Super Anti on both sides of a Dr. Neubauer balsa blade and wins!

He basically serves, chops, blocks and hits. Very interesting style. This is how to attack with anti.

What do you think?

http://youtube.com/results?search_query ... type=&aq=f

Be sure to click the links to watch in high quality on each YouTube page.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 13:18 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I don't want to be harsh or anything but I watched the first one and I fell asleep straight away watching the clip.

Sooooo boring :oops:

I think the guys looked bored as well especially the guy using the anti, and I think it was a FINAL as well

MonKey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 13:43 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Interesting, but are there any videos against a strong (or decent) looper? In my experience this sort of style is fine up until you get into the consistent attacking looper territory. The only one I could find is vs "Alex Chernobelskiy", but this kid isn't exactly a consistent attacking looper. Even so, you could see Geete struggling with some of his loops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 14:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Silver: These are the only videos I know of so far. I agree with you that this style could potentially be looped off the table. I don't see how Geete could get past 1800 with a double anti setup.

Metal Monkey: I agree that it's not the most scintillating table tennis I've seen, however I thought these videos were valuable in three aspects.

First of all, a double anti player is very unusual. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with this type of setup having any kind of success at any level. I found it interesting.

Secondly, the games clearly demonstrate many of the strengths and weaknesses of playing with anti, especially since ALL Geete's shots were anti shots. Also I believe the player he faced in the final was using anti on his forehand.

Third, from a critique point of view, while this shows that double anti isn't a particularly effective setup, if a player using anti became good at inverted on one wing and learned to twiddle, I think they would be quite dangerous.

I'm finding there's not a whole lot of instructional material on playing with anti. There's a decent writeup on using it by Greg Letts floating around the net, there's the new Dr. N. DVD, and there's limited YouTube-type video of players using anti in matches.

As a former frictionless pip player moving into the anti world, I'm basically trying out a lot of antis, picking up tips wherever I can, and getting as much experience as possible as quickly as possible. At first I was losing to people I previously beat. But as I learn more, play more, and further transition to the more offensive style that anti requires, results are improving and I'm fully expecting to surpass my old frictionless level.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 18:00 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

This guy could go further yet. He has almost zero f/h, and often attacks the wrong balls, or waits till they drop before trying to attack them..? Imagine him with all these faults corrected (especially a good attacking f/h).

Part of what's hard to get your head around when playing an anti player, is that you need to no-spin push, or roll to create a low topspin (instead of pushing with undercut), everytime you want to create a safe ball. It's counter-intuitive.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 18:20 
Chinese Forum Spy

this is EXCELLENT, i always wanted to be able to play such disgusting (yet highly effective, mind you) strokes...muhahaha, the dark lord haz your secret techniques now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 21:13 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

i think from memory the filipino #1 guy used to use anti on bothsides but i think now uses short pips on 1
....richard gonzalez?
Not too sure though.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 21:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Shoebox9 wrote:
This guy could go further yet. He has almost zero f/h, and often attacks the wrong balls, or waits till they drop before trying to attack them..? Imagine him with all these faults corrected (especially a good attacking f/h).

Part of what's hard to get your head around when playing an anti player, is that you need to no-spin push, or roll to create a low topspin (instead of pushing with undercut), everytime you want to create a safe ball. It's counter-intuitive.

I think your comments are very well taken. The fellow has a good reach and a Dr. Neubauer-ish grip.

As to materials, not all anti-loop is created equal, trying Black Juic Neo-Anti on the FH and twiddling with the Bfly could be quite effective, even-more-s0 with judicious applications of SpinMax to the Neo.

(Any late-breaking news on the demise of SpinMax?)

As to deception and attack potential of the Neo-Anti, I can testify that it was even more effective before the demise of speed glue.

One other thing as to attacking with anti-loop: I was around in John Hilton's heyday and aside from the twiddling and one colour he had a complete set of strokes with the anti and the inverted. He could attack very well with the anti-loop from either side. His anti was "rumored" to be modified for a more effective attack:) You can catch a glimple of it with the videos available on UTube.

tOD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 21:39 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Yes metal monkey, I've also heard him playing anti on both wings, Richard Gonzalez(/s?).

I'd like a few videos of that myself. Should be interesting to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 22:04 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

ive seen some videos in youtube, but they were not clear, so i couldnt really make out how he used the anti.
....but, you got too congratulate richard! Been number 1 now for some time.
For me its pretty hard too beleive since i know us filipinos are natural 3rd ball attackers, and the faster the equipment the better.
It would be hard to defend against someone thats constantly attacking you for the kill.

Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 00:59 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
The guy playing against the anti did not know enough about anti. He popped serves up just because the guy exagerated the chop serve motion.
I think it helps to play with anti to understand it even if you don't use it in competition. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max