OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Serving with Anti
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2008, 21:21 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
This might seem like a very stupid question to all of you guys that have much more experience than I do, so please bear with me. If you feel the need to call me names like idiot or dork, please add Mister to take away the sting :lol:

Anyway, is it possible to serve with anti, I mean if one absolutely had to, and if so, what is the best combo, as in 1.9mm or 1.7mm or less.

I am just wondering about the possibility because as hookshot said, about seemillers not having o twiddle on another thread about using anti against loops.

So if one does not twiddle, does that mean he wll be attacking, blocking and chopping all with the anti. But serving as well? Can it be done?

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2008, 21:35 
Mind Gamer Extraordinaire

I'd say it would be nearly impossible to generate any spin with it. Especially with super slick ones like BTY super anti. Maybe you could get some spin from a high toss serve with a very soft sponged anti.

Maybe BogeyHunter could do it, there's a vid somewhere of him serving with Feint Long III with plenty of spin... But I doubt it, anti-topsheet just doesn't offer enough grip.

But don't let the lack of spin stop you from serving with it! No-one said a serve had to be spinny! If you can get perfect placement on low no-spin serves with the anti, it can be very hard to return...

PS: Not that I have that much experience with anti, feel free to ignore this post completely :D

Tibhar IV-S - Donic Defplay SensoV3 - BTY Tackiness D/C - BTY Feint Soft - Meteor 813

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 00:51 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi Ranger-man,
You have to understand the Seemiller grip. I can use either side on the backhand without twiddling.

As far as serving with BTY anti, it cannot make enough spin to get anybody. BUT,,,does not mean you cannot make serves that win points!
A Real fast, corner to corner serve is harder to get back that people think. There is very little spin on that serve and I personally think fast, no spin balls are hard to hit.
The other way that I use is to hide the bat.
One, put the bat behind me and do a reverse pendulum. They only see which side you are using a fraction of a second before you contact the ball. Hiding the bat really gets some people nervous.
Two, hide the bat under the table and do a windshield wiper serve. The bat comes up and goes back down in a flash. Again, just hiding the bat makes them nervous and with a fast serve, it puts real pressure on them.
With either of these serves, they have three things to contend with, which rubber was it, and if inverted, is it top or chop?
Another way with players ranked,,,say 1400 or less, (and this varies) make a chop serve with the anti and EXAGERATE the chop motion as much as possible. Even a loud grunt to help convince them. It is hard for them to convince themselves there is no chop on the ball and will pop it up. This serve has worked for me on higher rated players but only once. One guy even chuckled to himself that he got taken. Didn't work the next time. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 03:26 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Hi hookshot,

I am aware of how seemiller grip players play, kind of like reverse penholders, except we rotate the paddle in a dowward arc, and you guys do it in an upright circle.

I am just very curious about the possibilities of serving with anti. And hookshot's statement about seemillers also not needing to twiddle if they wanted to get their forehand rubber into play on the backhand got me wondering if players actually tried serving with anti.

Lately I have played some games with a Chinese Giant Dragon rubber that is as close to anti as a non-anti rubber can be, It has a 2mm sponge though and I am able to handle service returns easily because of those anti characterestics. It has a very shiny, slippery surface. At the same time, I get enough spin on it when I high toss to actually make the ball swing away a few inches after the second bounce.

Was just wondering if I want to invest in a sheet of BTY Super Anti and see if I make that do the same. Probably not..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 03:31 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I think you will find BTY anti a different game. :D
Put a protection sheet on a rubber and try serving with that. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 03:43 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

hookshot wrote:
Put a protection sheet on a rubber and try serving with that. :D

I think I will give in to my EJism and buy a sheet of BTY Anti, I mean what the heck, I have been thinking about it for a while, if I hate it I will give it away to anyone who wants it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 04:22 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

I don't loop a lot, I mainly block a lot, I chop a lot, I am a close to the table kind of player that mostly blocks, smashes when I can, and I hit off the bounce more than anything, unless the ball is very high. If its a low return, short, I block it or take it off the bounce, if its long, I chop it or if I can, I loop it, but that is my last resort.

I am however working more and more on my loops and hope to become better in time, but my love of chopping won't go away, nor my tendencey to play close to the table. Thats why I am thinking I could put the anti to good use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 04:29 
VaMP-ire Killer

heres an idea, its what my mentor does and i try it with the mid pips

mix it up, play your normal serves and then after a while, repeate the serves, but using the anti rubber, it will get them

also, its a move me and my mentor do, BH to BH serves, serve it to the end, flat, no spin, nothing but speed using the anti, being fast and right at the edge, there is a high chance they will put it into the net, or if they get it over, you should be in the right possition, so go for the 3rd or 5th ball attack

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 10:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Here's a player who uses double anti (Butterfly Super Anti), so all his serves are with anti. The video is from an under 1900 tourney, which he won.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 18:21 
Super User

When serving with anti it depends on what kind of player you are up against. You can serve long and fast if you play against non loopers. However if they are good loopers, placement is crucial. Just short behind the net, preferably on their BH.
Twiddling will also give you some easy points if you can get your opponent to pop up. Pretend you are giving the ball heaps of spin with your anti and they will return the ball high, ready for you to smash or loop drive.
Something I have noticed recently is the 5th ball setup against lower ranked players. Play a spinny chop serve (with a grippy or tacky rubber), which they will return with a chop, return it with your anti with a chop action (but actually flip it), so it give it some top spin. Your opponent will think it has back spin so they will chop it and pop it up nicely for a 5th ball kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 13:59 
Super User

Different players are more vulnerable to it sometimes for no apparent reason. I've had players tell me they couldn't tell when i was using red and when i was using black - serving with anti to those players works well. Other players have a hard time committing to a shot when they see the surface change, and miss a lot because of it. There are a lot of reasons it might work against a player, you just have to try it against them.

Most penhold and seemiller players ought to be able to serve with both sides of their racket on both forehand and backhand without twiddling. That is, if they care to.

Post subject: Re: Serving with Anti
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 22:35 

Ranger-man wrote:
Anyway, is it possible to serve with anti, I mean if one absolutely had to, and if so, what is the best combo, as in 1.9mm or 1.7mm or less.

Yes it is positively possible to serve with an Anti.
I am playing with the Donic Anti A40.
The ANTI 40 playing surface is insensitive to the opponentís spin, but it is a little bit grippy itself and it is, in contrary to most of the ANTI-rubber sheets, soft and elastic what is especially important.

In fact when you serve, the ball starts with spin (not too much) but becomes floating very fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 01:30 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

I have been asking around and looking at stuff ad reading reviews and I am thinking that the Donic Anti40 would be the best way to go. It has two versions, a defensive version and an allround version with a slightly faster sponge, I think thats the one I will try. Not sure if I should get the 1.5mm or the 2mm sponge. Would have prefered the 1.7mm, somehow I feel the 1.5 will be two slow and the ball will reach the wood of the blade if it has even a little speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 01:57 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I think they discontinued the 'D' version, or at least I haven't seen it available lately.

Also, with most antis, the thicker the sponge the slower the anti (the reverse of normal sponges). So if you're worried about it being too slow, get the 1.5 sponge.

If you want an anti with a little grip, you might also try Juic NeoAnti or Yasaka Anti Power.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject: My advice
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 04:40 

Ranger-man wrote:
Not sure if I should get the 1.5mm or the 2mm sponge. Would have prefered the 1.7mm, somehow I feel the 1.5 will be two slow and the ball will reach the wood of the blade if it has even a little speed.

Allround version 1.5 on an ALL+ blade ; this solution will produce floating balls.