OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2023, 14:22 

Blade: Matador
FH: Spinfire 2.1, Black
BH: Diabolic Special 1.0, Red
I am anticipating transitioning from grippy anti on one side (Nittaku Best Anti; NBA) to a frictionless anti (Diabolic Special) and am curious how rough the transition might be. With NBA, I like to hit through underspin, block loops, and chop occasionally. I twiddle a lot, so I can do that stuff with either forehand or backhand - recently I have been using the NBA a lot on the forehand, as hitting with it there has been a lot of fun and produces a good many errors for my opponent.

Any wisdom from the group would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2023, 20:33 
Super User

FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
allencorn wrote:
I am anticipating transitioning from grippy anti on one side (Nittaku Best Anti; NBA) to a frictionless anti (Diabolic Special) and am curious how rough the transition might be. With NBA, I like to hit through underspin, block loops, and chop occasionally. I twiddle a lot, so I can do that stuff with either forehand or backhand - recently I have been using the NBA a lot on the forehand, as hitting with it there has been a lot of fun and produces a good many errors for my opponent.

That would be quite a transition, dude. You would feel that it would be harder to control at first, but you would eventually get used to it. Maybe a relatively stiff and hard blade would suit you better for the reversal.
I'm doing the same slowly and steadily. You should take your time and learn to play with that, not rushing, because flantis are quite hard to learn to control and be consistent.

Good luck.

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 01:26 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
allencorn wrote:

Hello there :)
I play with a grippy anti and have been playing with such anti for some time now (2+ years? LP before that).
I've also tried flanti a little (ABS-3 for a month or two). It's definitely interesting. :up:
The thing that I didn't figure out for my game with the flanti was playing in mid distance - the distance where the ball it's too early to chop the ball and too late to play an off the bounce block. And I find myself in this place a lot. So in this case with the regular anti I can manage some shots(some blocks or counters really) but couldn't find the solution with the ABS-3.
This was the problem for me. If you stay closer to the table most of the times - this won't be such a problem for you I think.
But bear in mind: I've tried only one flanti and it's one of the slowest. Maybe I wouldn't have faced these problems with a faster one.. who knows :D

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 04:54 
Super User

v100ev wrote:
allencorn wrote:

I play with a grippy anti and have been playing with such anti for some time now (2+ years? LP before that).
I've also tried flanti a little (ABS-3 for a month or two). It's definitely interesting. :up:
The thing that I didn't figure out for my game with the flanti was playing in mid distance - the distance where the ball it's too early to chop the ball and too late to play an off the bounce block. And I find myself in this place a lot. So in this case with the regular anti I can manage some shots(some blocks or counters really) but couldn't find the solution with the ABS-3.
This was the problem for me. If you stay closer to the table most of the times - this won't be such a problem for you I think.
But bear in mind: I've tried only one flanti and it's one of the slowest. Maybe I wouldn't have faced these problems with a faster one.. who knows :D

Usually when you play with a slower anti, you should focus more on being flat, as flat and slow balls could be inconvenient especially when it comes to screw up the timing of the opponent. Anyhow, how heavy and durable was the ABS 3 for you?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 14:41 

GregorTT425 wrote:
allencorn wrote:

That would be quite a transition, dude. You would feel that it would be harder to control at first, but you would eventually get used to it. Maybe a relatively stiff and hard blade would suit you better for the reversal.
I'm doing the same slowly and steadily. You should take your time and learn to play with that, not rushing, because flantis are quite hard to learn to control and be consistent.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I plan to put it on a stiff blade. I twiddle a lot, so I am hoping to have some success blocking short and weird. Also hope to do some hitting with it on underpin and high balls, if needed. Should be fun.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 14:44 

v100ev wrote:
allencorn wrote:

I try not to get caught in no man's land - not close enough or not far enough away - but often get caught there. I have heard mixed opinions on chopping with the frictionless stuff, and I hope to stay closer to the table, but old habits die hard. Also really looking forward to returns of serve with the frictionless.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 20:03 
Super User

allencorn wrote:
GregorTT425 wrote:
allencorn wrote:

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I plan to put it on a stiff blade. I twiddle a lot, so I am hoping to have some success blocking short and weird. Also hope to do some hitting with it on underpin and high balls, if needed. Should be fun.

It definitely will be fun. Good luck!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 01:12 

I have be playing with the frictionless anti (diabolic special) for a couple of weeks now, and here are my observations compared to somewhat grippy anti (Best Anti):

The ball goes pretty much exactly where you hit it, with little regard to incoming spin. What you can control is how deep you hit it. Incoming spin has some effect on the grippy anti - not so the frictionless.
    Racket angle is key on all strokes to keep the ball low.
    Returning serve is a breeze, especially drop shots.
    Attacking is tougher, as again, the racket angle is so important. I could counter a bit with the grippy anti - much harder to do with the frictionless.
    Chopping is OK, as you can bring the ball back, but probably not a consistent strategy, as you can't vary things much.

So I think I know what the frictionless CAN do. The challenge now is to develop some type of strategy of what I SHOULD do. For example, with a heavy incoming push, I could (a) push it back, expecting my opponent to misread the topspin that is coming back at them and attack their return; (b) roll it back, taking advantage of the spin to create a heavier topspin than is expected; or (c) attack it, using the spin to keep it on the table (this one is currently more risky until I develop more consistency).

What is most fun is that almost any shot can be returned by the frictionless - but not all options are necessarily effective enough to prevent the ball from being whacked back. A number of folks I play regularly are pretty much flat hitters, so the anti doesn't bother them much, as there is never too much spin to play with, except for serve return, and they know to serve pretty dead to me.

And people hate it, which I enjoy. :)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 02:00 
Super User

Better players will start adapting to the anti by playing dead balls, as you mentioned.

If you get empty balls, they are a little easier to topspin as it will not throw it up so high due to lack of spin. So giving anti balls might be useful against anti, but if you have a good forehand, you can adapt to them too by hitting killer topspins (if they are not going with light speed).

Most amateurs will get annoyed by that, this is something I like too. Keep practising and you will definitely become a player that it will be hard to play against.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 06:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

One man meat is another man poison.
Never follow inexpert advice. Mr. Aschi is a generally renowned anti geek, ask question from him, dear.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 16:15 
Super User

igorponger wrote:
Never follow inexpert advice. Mr. Aschi is a generally renowned anti geek, ask question from him, dear.

I don't think it is that easy. Several occasions you don't have the chance to get tips from "geeks". If you have anything to add, do so. How would you know if it is not good for him until he doesn't try? It is not easy to be expert with so little help.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2023, 04:21 
Super User

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Gewo Proton Neo 450
BH: Desperado Reloaded OX
GregorTT425 wrote:
igorponger wrote:

I don't think it is that easy. Several occasions you don't have the chance to get tips from "geeks". If you have anything to add, do so. How would you know if it is not good for him until he doesn't try? It is not easy to be expert with so little help.

Do you have any video playing with ABS 2 Pro? I have the same rubber but can´t get the game I would like from it, so I'm keeping with Desperado reloaded OX. Thank you!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2023, 04:54 
Super User

Last edited by GregorTT425 on 30 Aug 2023, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2023, 04:55 
Super User

I'm going to receive my ABS 2 Pro this week and will try it out. What kind of game would you like to play?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2023, 05:19 
Super User

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Gewo Proton Neo 450
BH: Desperado Reloaded OX
GregorTT425 wrote:
I'm going to receive my ABS 2 Pro this week and will try it out. What kind of game would you like to play?

Sorry, I thought you already had the rubber. I would like an anti top easy to shoot with depth on the sides and corners as low as possible. If I could attack backhand, it would be better because it is a movement that I already have very well established and that is the base of my game. But what I really hope is that it is very disturbing for the opponent and for now I don't notice that. Opponents tell me that they can easily attack. It seems that now people talk about the Super Glanti Black edition as the most disturbing... I'm also thinking of changing my FH rubber for short pips... We'll see.
This is how I play now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYJI2YuNBL0