OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2023, 14:34 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
Hello Anti Users!

I'm hereby asking here for you advice! I'm putting together a setup that I could use for both offense and defense. I'm going to use the Stiga Cybershape Carbon for my flanti, as from what I have heard, it works pretty well with it.

I would like to have a flanti that has good reversal and disruptive effect with a relatively good amount of control (and can be used for attacking). I've read pretty much here about the flantis and had to realize that Dr. Neubauer are more towards control, while DMS and Barna are more towards reversal and disruption. Is there a good compromise between these three? I might want it to be a bit slow, so it wouldn't be too fast with my OFF blade.

Which flanti should I choose? Good reversal, disruption, relatively good control and a payable price. Durability is also something good to have.

If you feel you have anything else to add here as an advice or anything, please do so!

Thanks in advance!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2023, 16:13 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: DMS Scandal 1.2
DMS Scandal

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2023, 17:14 
Super User

Ycos3d wrote:
DMS Scandal

Exactly. I forgot to mention that I have received some tips from dwruck and this is the one he specifically advised to me. Thanks to him from here and for you too! Any other options are welcome, too!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2023, 22:02 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Curious to hear, have you tried the Scandal, and if so how do you like it compared to ABS 2?

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 01:06 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
Curious to hear, have you tried the Scandal, and if so how do you like it compared to ABS 2?

No, I haven't tried the Scandal, I instead went for the ABS 2 Pro. I was looking something with good attacking capabilities and luckily I didn't mispick.

Speed: It's quick. It has a decent speed, especially when paired with a fast and stiff blade. It's main strenght are really the attacking capabilities it has. It's rather bouncy and catapult, you need delicate touch and soft hands to be able to vary its speed and not the make the ball go long.

Spin: Suprisingly, if I chop hard, there are some backspin (sometimes enough to force mistakes from the opponent). At other occasions, don't expect any spin from this rubber, of course.

Control: It has a relatively good control, but given its high speed, it is sometimes hard to keep under control. You need good feeling. With enough practice and feel, you can place the ball short or anywhere you want. Spin-sensitive, although on very few occasions I noticed some sensitivity, but probably that was because the ball spent too much time on the paddle.

Spin "reversal": Unfortunately, I don't have comparative base here, as this is my first flanti, but I believe it is pretty good. Topspins seem to go back a little bit dead, but backspins are making a funky curve (especially when chopped back).

Disruption: It is disruptive, the ball wobbles a lot, stops in mid-air, takes a kick at the opponent if backspin is chopped or lifted, lifting gives weird curve and the sudden strokes gives randomized spins.

In conclusion, if you want to attack with your anti with high speed, disruption and a relatively fair amount of control, then this could be a good choice for now. Sometimes it is unpredictable though, the throw angle changes shot by shot. In the end, it is dangerous for the opponent, but can be for you too.

A few words about the Tenergy 19, it is good on this blade, too. It's a Tenergy after all, good speed, good spin with an acceptable amount of control (sometimes hard to control, though). The only major disadvantage is the low throw now my forehand side has. Lot of my topspins have good spin, but they go into the net because of the relatively flat curve. I'll need to work on this to change my technique to accelerate rather upward than forward.

So thank you for the tips you have given me, dwruck!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2023, 22:14 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
That's great to hear Gregor! I will be interested to follow your journey as you play more with this combination. Best of luck to you!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2023, 01:37 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
That's great to hear Gregor! I will be interested to follow your journey as you play more with this combination. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the kind wish and for the tips, dwruck!

Believe it or not, I've changed to DMS Scandal, today! I'll try it on Thursday! I feel that ABS 2 Pro is too quick on Cybershape, hard to control and also provides little reversal (for topspin at least). Two weeks were enough for me to think over and decide it is not for me!. The ABS 2 Pro is very good, but hard to control under pressure, but great for attacking nevertheless. Also, I'm looking for something with a little more control, disruption and spin reversal!

If you remember, I've sent you a message asking about the ABS 2 Pro and the ABS 3. Then you suggested that you would likely start with a Scandal if you were back to flantis. I started thinking about changing and this got in my mind, next to the generally good reviews I've read, so chose this.

Packaging is pretty interesting! :rofl: Scandallous in every sense! :devil: :rofl: I'm sure I will write a review about that too. Make sure to check that out, too!

Tomorrow I have a competition at my university and a training afterwards with my club. I'll play those with my ABS 2 Pro. Then I'll try the Scandal out and I'm pretty positive! Only thing I worry about is the durability, hope it will last at least 2 months!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2023, 23:50 

Have you tried Scandal already? I tried a lot of flanties and long pimples, but I always changed back to Scandal.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2023, 00:09 
Super User

Ycos3d wrote:
Have you tried Scandal already? I tried a lot of flanties and long pimples, but I always changed back to Scandal.

Yes, I did and have to say I'm pretty much amazed. I'll train with it one more tomorrow and I'll write a review in the proper thread! Until then I give a hint... "the transition was worth it...".

Thanks for recommending this!

On a side note, can I ask you if you feel like you are getting good spin with the Cybershape Carbon? I feel like I don't get great enough spin (but could be my technique or something else). I use Tenergy 19. Do you get good spin with your way harder rubber? Is it hard to create good spin or I just have to get used to the blade?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2023, 03:14 

GregorTT425 wrote:
Ycos3d wrote:

Yes, I did and have to say I'm pretty much amazed. I'll train with it one more tomorrow and I'll write a review in the proper thread! Until then I give a hint... "the transition was worth it...".

On a side note, can I ask you if you feel like you are getting good spin with the Cybershape Carbon? I feel like I don't get great enough spin (but could be my technique or something else). I use Tenergy 19. Do you get good spin with your way harder rubber? Is it hard to create good spin or I just have to get used to the blade?

Yes, my impresion is also that is harder to get spin than with other blades, but overall I love the cybershape carbon, and I think that i will play with this setup for a long time.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2023, 04:04 
Super User

Ycos3d wrote:
GregorTT425 wrote:
Ycos3d wrote:

Yes, my impresion is also that is harder to get spin than with other blades, but overall I love the cybershape carbon, and I think that i will play with this setup for a long time.

Also the throw angle is lower, so that makes things a little tricky (but also more difficult to return when the ball goes over because of the flat trajectory). Most of my topspins lands in the next, but have good spin. From what I learned, you need a bit faster movement to create good spin. I value spin more than speed, but this blade has the opposite characteristics. It was a trade off for me, really. I get less dwell-time for spin but more stiffness for my flanti (to increase reversal). With technique this can be overcome. I mean, it is possible to generate good spin, it just requires a little bit faster movement to make the ball dig into the sponge and the harder outer layers, as sometimes I could make my opponent make mistakes because of the spin, Of course, you need rubbers that are not too hard and have good grip.
I also made the realization that only through spin, you can't win all the points. You also need some pace, mixed with great spin and good placement. This is why I decided to go with Cybershape Carbon, before I played with Wood. Something disruptive, like Scandal could always come in handy, too. :rock: :D ;)