OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 21:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Has anyone used the Rucanor Competition rubber? No, this is not a joke, I'm serious. I had a kid bring it with him to the training; the boy innocently supposed it was OK for anything. To me, it seems to be an anti, and very slow at that. It is on the ITTF list, so it can be used in competition. But it is - to me - a very strange rubber. It is as smooth and slippery as waxed plastic, feels like no friction, but reversal seems to be low :shock: (it will take away almost all spin off incoming balls, producing a dead ball, lots of wobble) unless contact is very very light. Hits excellent against anything (no-spin included), if you are using a frictionless-like stroke (underarm only, going fast upward).

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 00:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Haggisv, you should get some of this stuff in the shop. As far as I can tell, this brand only comes on premade recreational paddles. Very interesting that it's ITTF approved.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 01:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That is correct, these blades/rubbers are only available premade. What I did was buy 2 myself (local sportsgear shop) and get the topsheet off on 1 side (the red). This is easy, you don't even have to apply heat; it is pretty thick and won't tear. Then, removing the yellow sponge of the blade, that is tricky. I finally decided to use a chisel! I used sandpaper and white spirit to remove the rest. A hell of a job. Maybe if I'd steamed it off, it would have gone easier. The frame is slow, low quality, but can be used. I glued a Friendship Higher on and it worked well. The red topsheet I glued on a Palio 1 mm sponge (of a Palio long pip) and put on my Tibhar COS Def. It was a bit less slow than the original combination, but I haven't noticed any other differences so far. So perhaps, if someone here who does know about anti's (I don't) decides the topsheet is interesting, you could get it off a premade frame (which cost me about 5 euro's; and there are 2 topsheets on a frame!) and put it on a decent sponge, and you'd have a cheap alternative for the Neubauer anti which is about 45 euro :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 06:16 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
speedplay wrote:
ROFL!

You might have revealed the good Dr's secret recipe for success!

I've never heard about the brand (or rubber) but it does sound interesting. Still, I don't like the idea of hassling with separating the sponge stuff, but if Haggisv can get hold of some sheets, I might be tempted to try them out.

What Haggisv needs to do is find the source for this unique rubber and private label it. This can be the first OOAK brand name rubber. :idea: :idea: :idea:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 07:45 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Just found this thread which i missed 1st time around.

When i returned to tt, someone gave me an old rucanor pre-made in mint condition, the rubbers were soft and non smooth to the touch and although i didn't understand too much about rubbers then, this played really well as an anti, but not good for my f/h!
I too took off one side destroying the whole rubber and sponge (what a 'mare taking this stuff off! :evil:) in the process, put an H3 on in it's place and this played well(ish), the problem being that i didn't know proper anti technique then.
The set up was heavy and i then drilled out the handle and holes around the blade into the centre to lighten it up somewhat!
It worked quite well and would be worth investigating sports shops to see if newer ones can be separated from the blade more easily!

I will see what i can find in town!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 14:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
mynamenotbob wrote:
speedplay wrote:
ROFL!

You might have revealed the good Dr's secret recipe for success!

I've never heard about the brand (or rubber) but it does sound interesting. Still, I don't like the idea of hassling with separating the sponge stuff, but if Haggisv can get hold of some sheets, I might be tempted to try them out.

What Haggisv needs to do is find the source for this unique rubber and private label it. This can be the first OOAK brand name rubber. :idea: :idea: :idea:

A good idea, but when you private label it, you'd have to get it ITTF approved again... which cost a lot...

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 15:53 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

We can probably try just buying the topsheets itself from the maker?

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 12:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

metal monkey wrote:

Yes that's possible... but them I'd have to attach my own sponges...a messy job which is OK when I do it for myself, but when I do it for someone else, I want it to be perfect... too hard...

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 01:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
metal monkey wrote:

Yes that's possible... but them I'd have to attach my own sponges...a messy job which is OK when I do it for myself, but when I do it for someone else, I want it to be perfect... too hard...

To avoid the hassle you might just wish to sell the top sheet and let people afix the sponge of their own choice. A little video tutorial of how to do it would help.

Meteor makes a non tacky topsheet that they sell separately 835 I think. I found that leaving it exposed to the sun for a bit, it slowed and up the possiblity for reversal. The red worked better with the red than the blace.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 03:54 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
From the sound of it -- extremely slow, kills spin, low reversal -- it sounds more like Hallmark's Mirage than like the Dr. N. antis, which I understand to have decent reversal, although I haven't played with any of them myself.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 12:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The thin sponge on an anti makes a huge difference too... Even the 804 with a 0.5mm sponge has pretty decent reversal, and that's one of the grippiest anti topsheets around.