OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 22:44 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Having difficulty in resisting the tempting morsal of Nittaku Best Anti, as recommended by Speedy (many thanks), i must say this rubber and style needed to play with it, takes my game up another level.

What i wanted to say, was that due to my restricted mobility, i have to use the chicken wing defence, esp. against fast x-court or down the line shots, if i don't have time to turn to my f/h!

Yes, it may not be pretty (beauty is in the eye of the beholder!), but this is such a reliable shot to play with this rubber.
My returns are awesome and i can return 3 or 4 shots easy with this stroke and very often they (opponent) end up going into the net.

It is fast becoming a strong part of my defence game, where 2/3 years ago my b/h was dire and without much control. I try not to use it, only when caught out in emergencies, but the surprise that my opponents get from my returns are beautiful as they struggle to try and put me away.

Do many of you use this shot at all very often?, and why would you use it, also with what rubbers do you use this stroke?
Up to what levels is this shot good to use, do any pro's ever use it?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 03:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
mozzy wrote:
Do many of you use this shot at all very often?, and why would you use it, also with what rubbers do you use this stroke? Up to what levels is this shot good to use, do any pro's ever use it?

Dr. Neubauer teaches the shot on his newest training DVD. I've seen a number of high level players use it, some quite often. One reason to use it is if you don't have fast footwork. Also it can make the elbow less vulnerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 04:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
OK, I'll cop: I have slow feet, long arms, and I chicken wing block with my LP OX side "on occasion", particularly when I've twiddled (or wrist-rolled) to LP. Ugly? You bet! But it sure beats having the ball blasted past me untouched, and I return a good many of them to the frequent surprise of my opponent.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 19:40 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

mynamenotbob wrote:
mozzy wrote:
Do many of you use this shot at all very often?, and why would you use it, also with what rubbers do you use this stroke? Up to what levels is this shot good to use, do any pro's ever use it?

Dr. Neubauer teaches the shot on his newest training DVD. I've seen a number of high level players use it, some quite often. One reason to use it is if you don't have fast footwork. Also it can make the elbow less vulnerable.

Thanks for that MNNB, wow, whilst i use it due to poor mobility, i never thought in a month of sundays that it would be a stroke that would be taught/coached!

Why not? I suppose it is because it is not conventional, not pretty, and not thought of as a good stroke, possibly as you say, highlighting poor footwork. But if it is good enough to return a good shot, then why not!

I shall continue with it as it is now almost an automatic response when needed and hold my head high that it is as effective and worthy as any shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 16:54 
Super User

inside out chicken wing attack with anti or long pips is a fearsome shot, totally unexpected, and it skids off the table like a bullet . :twisted:

blade BTY Photino ST/Palio HengDa #1 ST, fh Palio Macro ERA 42deg MAX, bh Palio CK531A OX

TT Armory, N. America Palio distributor. Macro ERA Tensor, Biotech rubbers, and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 20:02 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

mdjenders wrote:
inside out chicken wing attack with anti or long pips is a fearsome shot, totally unexpected, and it skids off the table like a bullet . :twisted:

Could this be called a "zinger" or "hot wing"?

Any other suggestions perhaps?

An inside out f\h smash/ drive, bent away with alot of side spin, is my favourite and most natural shot, which, i have been doing since i was about 11 yrs old when i 1st picked up a blade.

The shot you describe i have never seen, (bearing in mind i didn't play for 27 yrs after i left school) but gives alot of food for thought and i will practice it and see how it comes off!

Do you use this at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 00:18 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Dr. Neubauer calls it "lifting with vertical forearm stroke" and "lifting with vertical bat position."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 06:40 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I dont normally block when I chicken wing, or receive a call with the bh on my fh side. Normally its to attack the backspin balls that come to my fh and I am too lazy to loop with my fh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 00:28 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

mynamenotbob wrote:
Dr. Neubauer calls it "lifting with vertical forearm stroke" and "lifting with vertical bat position."

Not that catchy though is it - I prefer the hotwing suggestion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2009, 08:16 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

dingwol2 wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

Not that catchy though is it - I prefer the hotwing suggestion!

Thanks dingers, i was wondering if anyone would see the fast food/chicken wing connetation, not that i eat alot of that siht, i am sure there are other stroke names on their menu!

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 16:36 

Dr. Neubauer teaches the shot on his newest training DVD. This dvd is good...

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 11:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
mozzy wrote:

A semi-off topic question. How did you get this video clip? I am working on trying to use Pinacle for this sort of stuff, but I have not come up with a good way to capture from external sources yet. I have an EasyCap, but in a word, or two, or three. It works not for me. Ok four.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 13:06 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

theOldDuffer wrote:
A semi-off topic question. How did you get this video clip? I am working on trying to use Pinacle for this sort of stuff, but I have not come up with a good way to capture from external sources yet. I have an EasyCap, but in a word, or two, or three. It works not for me. Ok four.

It was a program that converted video to animated gif files. I don't have that computer anymore and can't remember the name.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 20:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
theOldDuffer wrote:

It was a program that converted video to animated gif files. I don't have that computer anymore and can't remember the name.

I think once I get sorted out with Pinnacle I should be grab video without too much hassle.
Thank for all.
tOD

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 15:06 

seanx wrote:
Dr. Neubauer teaches the shot on his newest training DVD. This dvd is good...

really i satisfied with :up: :rock: