OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Joola Amy (Details?)
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009, 15:20 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Tried the Joola Amy with .4 sponge. Top sheet is very slick, slickest I've seen -- even more than Gorilla. It's fast, but not insanely fast and uncontrollable like Gorilla. Could control it somewhat with Solja-style sideswipes -- but for me this would be a whole new style of play that would take weeks or months of training to get competition ready.

Very slim sponge. Handles loops, no-spin, underspin well. Not good against forehand drives (which seems to be a trait with all these super slick antis).

ABS is a better choice if you want to play some variant of frictionless style. Amy needs an active game (like the real Amy plays).

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009, 16:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hi MNNB: What's in like in comparison to the A-B-S (or some other antis) for pace? I've got some a-b-s on order.

Do you know what the difference is supposed to be in the 0.4 and 0.7 sponge.

Thanks

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009, 16:55 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

antipip wrote:
Hi MNNB: What's in like in comparison to the A-B-S (or some other antis) for pace? I've got some a-b-s on order.

Do you know what the difference is supposed to be in the 0.4 and 0.7 sponge.

Amy is way faster. Not even close in speed. I imagine the .7 is even faster, but don't know for sure.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 09:44 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

MNNB: Is the rubber soft feel? Are you able to loop with it? It sounds like my kind of rubber though it being a bit fast and yet can handle loops, no spin and underspin well. Also the fact that the sponge is so thin, I presume the rubber must be lightweight as well.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 11:30 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

fattchoi wrote:
MNNB: Is the rubber soft feel? Are you able to loop with it? It sounds like my kind of rubber though it being a bit fast and yet can handle loops, no spin and underspin well. Also the fact that the sponge is so thin, I presume the rubber must be lightweight as well.

Weight for uncut sheet is 45 grams. Pretty hard feel. You can do an anti kind of loop, but there's no real grip to speak of. It's very much like an improved version of Gorilla. It has potential if you learn how to use it, however if this is the "control" version I shudder to think about what the "classic" version will bring. And forget using it the frictionless way. This needs to be sideswiped.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 11:36 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Hmmm...looks like it won't suit me after all. I don't sideswipe at all. Won't know how to do it. I mostly rpb chop, block and mix it up with the odd rpb loop attack shot. I was able to do those very well with Tibhar Ellen. Moreover, I am after soft feel for my BH. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 20:37 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
concerning the new generation of frictionless antis, i agree that they cant be played like frictionless long pimples, but the term "sideswipe" is misleading. its true that solja for e.g played a sideswipe sort motion in the past, but if you look at the recent videos its more of a pushed chop-block

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 20:17 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Speedplay, thanks for the tips. As I replied on the other thread, I really like the Donic Anti as I adapted my strokes to it really well now. Mind you, I won't mind trying out the Juic Neoanti as it does sound like my kind of rubber in future.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2009, 00:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Tried the Amy Classic on a Joola Toni Hold blade for about ten minutes. Dreadful. Hard to control and not much reversal. Maybe there's a different technique to play with this, but the claims on the package of "extreme spin reversal when blocking" are not accurate.

The 1.2 ABS and .4 Amy Control I've tried are both much more usable.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 18:51 

Does sponge on Amy Control tends to bottom out on such thin (0.4) sponge? Does it change the feel of the strokes?

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 23:07 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
AntiSpiner wrote:
Does sponge on Amy Control tends to bottom out on such thin (0.4) sponge? Does it change the feel of the strokes?

The Amy does not tend to let you feel wood despite of its thin sponge, except for extreme shots, which only a 2.5mm TH would be able to alleviate.

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 01:06 

Slick wrote:
AntiSpiner wrote:

The Amy does not tend to let you feel wood despite of its thin sponge, except for extreme shots, which only a 2.5mm TH would be able to alleviate.

Thank you very much!!

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 18:40 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Does anyone still play the Amy and has collected some long-time experience? I consider giving it another try because of its offensive potentials.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!