OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr Neubauer - ABS
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 00:02 

I've also started to use A-B-S, seems to be much more controllable than Gorilla and Grizzly. But how do you attack underspin? Just by fast lifting?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 00:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
moming1 wrote:
I've also started to use A-B-S, seems to be much more controllable than Gorilla and Grizzly. But how do you attack underspin? Just by fast lifting?

Flat hit it.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 10:25 

mynamenotbob wrote:
moming1 wrote:

Flat hit it.

ic, you are talking about underspin balls that are higher than the net

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 19:06 

mynamenotbob wrote:
moming1 wrote:

Flat hit it.

Finally got a chance to try it. I loop to my friends LP. He blocks it slow, heavy underspin and kind of high. I twiddle to use A-B-S on my FH, open the racket face just a slight bit, and just smashed it. Went in almost all the time. Quite amazing. Thanks for the tip

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 06:29 

just tried a.b.s 1.2 instead of my new toni hold with dampflungfolie it is more controllable,slower, handles loops good,can hit with it especially short balls. beat a good flat hitter with it first night out( never beat him with anti before) good away from table also, closest to sb yet.
barricade defence-komann winning 2.0- a.b.s 1.2(red)on bh.twiddle @ hide bat on return of serve

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 07:20 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
My problem with antis has always been the predictability (for your opponents) as compared to effective LPs (where even good players often really misread what spin's on the ball), but from what some people have said here, it seems that the A-B-S is hard to read for opponents. Is that the case?

If so, does anyone understand how that could possibly happen despite the uniformity of the rubber surface and the lack of any hard-to-account-for variables, like whether or not and how much the pips are bending at contact?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 07:34 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

One thing is you have to make an active stroke, so you can vary the spin with different wrist movements. Also, there is the knuckleball effect. Plus you can easily drop it short over the net.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 22:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I made a comment in a pm when referring to this rubber that if you want a lp effect, buy a lp.

That said I have the toni hold new 40 0x too and this anti is slower and better for blocking than that. It is the most similar anti to a lp but it is still an anti. I like the rubber and the angles are more natural to me as I come from an anti background. It's very slow which I also like. I found balls tended to dip with it at the end to hit the table when pushing and also found it to be easier to push heavy chop with than lp's (the stroke I am struggling with adapting to from frictionless). I need to try it on a faster blade and I want to see how it chops as I didn't really get to test it in that area.

Whoever predicted 3 generations was spot on, it's about right for speed now and I'm glad I waited and saved some money. This was / is worth trying for me.

EDIT: It's very hard to take off the bat without creasing it though. it seems to want to go like corrugated cardboard. That's why I've not yet tried it on a faster blade as I don't want to take it off and on unnecessarily.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 13:54 

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
My problem with antis has always been the predictability (for your opponents) as compared to effective LPs (where even good players often really misread what spin's on the ball), but from what some people have said here, it seems that the A-B-S is hard to read for opponents. Is that the case?

If so, does anyone understand how that could possibly happen despite the uniformity of the rubber surface and the lack of any hard-to-account-for variables, like whether or not and how much the pips are bending at contact?

it is how you "brush" the ball when you hit it that can affect how much spin you send back to your opponent. Of course, you cannot generate much spin on a frictionless anti rubber. If there is to be spin, it has to come from your opponents ball

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 13:55 

antipip wrote:
I made a comment in a pm when referring to this rubber that if you want a lp effect, buy a lp.

That said I have the toni hold new 40 0x too and this anti is slower and better for blocking than that. It is the most similar anti to a lp but it is still an anti. I like the rubber and the angles are more natural to me as I come from an anti background. It's very slow which I also like. I found balls tended to dip with it at the end to hit the table when pushing and also found it to be easier to push heavy chop with than lp's (the stroke I am struggling with adapting to from frictionless). I need to try it on a faster blade and I want to see how it chops as I didn't really get to test it in that area.

Whoever predicted 3 generations was spot on, it's about right for speed now and I'm glad I waited and saved some money. This was / is worth trying for me.

EDIT: It's very hard to take off the bat without creasing it though. it seems to want to go like corrugated cardboard. That's why I've not yet tried it on a faster blade as I don't want to take it off and on unnecessarily.

if you are talking about incoming heavy underspin, my experience with trying to push it with A-B-S had been horrible. Flick it, it is much more effective and consistent

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 03:47 

using a.b.s. on my b/h i attack backspin always & block heavy topspin either close to the table or away. the better player will try to make you play no spin balls to them so they can blast them away,so you must do the opposite & never give them this ball.twiddling & chop heavy with reversed rubber has worked for me with anti & use the f/hand kill.the a.b.s. has cut down a lot of loose returns as you can keep it far tighter ---short & lower.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 21:48 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

moming1 wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
moming1 wrote:

Flat hit it.

ic, you are talking about underspin balls that are higher than the net

No ... it about how much underspin is on the incoming ball.

You flat hit it and the reverse spin bends the ball back onto the table.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2009, 13:42 

Mathias wrote:
moming1 wrote:

No ... it about how much underspin is on the incoming ball.

You flat hit it and the reverse spin bends the ball back onto the table.

let me try that. I think you may have a point

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 15:27 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Here's a video of a guy using ABS.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 21:35 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
The guy in yellow had some nasty looking serves, but it looked like the ABS helped the other player to return them pretty well. It did look like he had some problem attacking with it, though, and handling the hard loop from his opponent as well.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next