OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Who is this lady?
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014, 20:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This lady looks very familiar, but I can't put a name to it.

I bet the man used to be tough in his prime. Very powerful hits! :o :o :o

Post subject: Re: Who is this lady?
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014, 20:48 
Super User

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... xhnpAo0qtg

Name: Wang Xuan
Birthday: February 14, 1987
Place of birth: Harbin
Play: forehand counter-gum, gum backhand loop drive combines fast-break

Wang Xuan's mother was a professional tennis player , in 1994, due to family chores more, no one to take care of the young Wang Xuan, Renqiu Xia Wang Xuan has often taken the training field custody. Over time, Renqiu Xia gradually discovered, at the age of six-year-old Wang Xuan in the sport of table tennis has a soft spot for love, and since then, Wang Xuan has embarked on a path of learning tennis. 2002, with increasingly revealing talent, Wang Xuan was the national team selected.

In early 2010 Straight Moscow trials third stage quarterfinals Wang Xuan Zeng 4: 0 win over Li Xiaoxia ;
2011 Polish Open women's singles runner-up, the women's doubles semi-finals (and Rao Jingwen )

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014, 21:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Wow, thank you Zhaoyang! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014, 21:30 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

The male player actually plays a bit like Xi Enting. The only thing is that he is quite stiff - ex-top players usually arent that stiff. Hes pretty handy tho!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014, 21:36 
Super User

@Haggis - That man is still way too good for a vast many of us and let's not mention the ladys' standard of play ;)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 20:39 

haggisv wrote:
This lady looks very familiar, but I can't put a name to it.

I bet the man used to be tough in his prime. Very powerful hits! :o :o :o

Well im more interested in what the dude is playing with ;)

Seems quite effective ;) Short pips maybe?

Andro HD 2,0
-----------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 18:35 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Haggisv ... I'm impressed with the male player :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 19:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Me too! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Man plays with short pips for sure. And I'm pretty sure the woman has short pips on the backhand, too.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 21:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Watching that guy reminds me of my many visits to my wife's hometown in China. There I have frequently encountered players like that, not as good, but in many ways very similar. This guy is more aggressive on the BH side than I have usually seen. He was clearly really good at one point. He is standing a bit straight because of his age I think, but his ready position is classic from a certain era. China is chock full of older steady short pip penholders who never beat themselves and who punish any weak topspin you hit to their forehand side and who are deadly at flat hitting. This guy has really soft hands, I think. Very nice, and he is more effective than most short pip guys when he gets backed off the table. Also note the grotesquely illegal no-toss 1970s serves. Guys of a certain generation in China, pretty much anyone over the age of 50, just will never ever toss the ball on the serve. It's just not going to happen. In tournaments and leagues no umpire ever calls them on it and it is useless to mention it or point it out. (I have played in the city open amateur team tournament there twice). I have lost to several but have occasionally won. The one thing, though that I have noticed to my surprise is that these guys are surprisingly vulnerable to (a) a modern topspin backhand loop from a shakehand player and modern high toss (21st century) serves, esoecially if you go deep to the BH side. I think the main thing is they have pretty never much seen much of those things and in general they are not accustomed to heavy spin. It is like they have been in a time machine. Also, when I see they are not tossing the ball, I just start hiding my serves, like it's still 2002. Umpires there don't care about that either, not in the city leagues and team tournaments (where, when I am in town, I represent a team built around a cell phone store owned by a friend of my sister-in-law :rock: :rock: ). I have actually beaten some of these guys, thinking going into matches that I was going to get killed, but then succeeding with pretty much endless third ball attacks and winning points with my BH with shots that just didn't seem like a big deal but which they blocked off the end of the table, and were never able to adjust.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 00:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The man is a classic pips-out hitter. The two Chinese national class players who came through town when I was in college played like that, and it was probably the dominant Chinese style for a long time. I suspect they were playing like that back in the hardbat era, too.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 01:02 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Baal wrote:
Watching that guy reminds me of my many visits to my wife's hometown in China. There I have frequently encountered players like that, not as good, but in many ways very similar. This guy is more aggressive on the BH side than I have usually seen. He was clearly really good at one point. He is standing a bit straight because of his age I think, but his ready position is classic from a certain era. China is chock full of older steady short pip penholders who never beat themselves and who punish any weak topspin you hit to their forehand side and who are deadly at flat hitting. This guy has really soft hands, I think. Very nice, and he is more effective than most short pip guys when he gets backed off the table. Also note the grotesquely illegal no-toss 1970s serves. Guys of a certain generation in China, pretty much anyone over the age of 50, just will never ever toss the ball on the serve. It's just not going to happen. In tournaments and leagues no umpire ever calls them on it and it is useless to mention it or point it out. (I have played in the city open amateur team tournament there twice). I have lost to several but have occasionally won. The one thing, though that I have noticed to my surprise is that these guys are surprisingly vulnerable to (a) a modern topspin backhand loop from a shakehand player and modern high toss (21st century) serves, esoecially if you go deep to the BH side. I think the main thing is they have pretty never much seen much of those things and in general they are not accustomed to heavy spin. It is like they have been in a time machine. Also, when I see they are not tossing the ball, I just start hiding my serves, like it's still 2002. Umpires there don't care about that either, not in the city leagues and team tournaments (where, when I am in town, I represent a team built around a cell phone store owned by a friend of my sister-in-law :rock: :rock: ). I have actually beaten some of these guys, thinking going into matches that I was going to get killed, but then succeeding with pretty much endless third ball attacks and winning points with my BH with shots that just didn't seem like a big deal but which they blocked off the end of the table, and were never able to adjust.

I see a lot of old dudes in Korea play like that with inverted J-Pen, very aggressive penhold BH smash of anything over net height to BH side, much more often and daring than this great skilled fellow on the vid. Whether they use SP or inverted, the classic playing style is much like this... steady, with pressure and pace, good anticipation and movement.

I absolutely agree that HEAVY spin troubles them, especially if you can do it from BH wing. They simply do not see shakehand players their level have a reliable heavy BH loop they can place deep to BH corner. They are mesmerized, even if they could potentially step around and hit, they are froze in place and all they can do is try to block and kill the spin, maybe punch block if they can manage it. In practice and in matches vs others of their type, these players really look like they are 600 lb gorillas gunna kill you types, but heavy spin tames them down considerable.

Totally right on not giving a crap about serve rules, you try complaining about it you get nowhere, whether it is in the club or an official amature tourney. I played a few tourneys with an ITTF umpire as a doubles partner and he would get off the chain irritated at what goes on and how unqualified scorekeepers are making decisions not consistent with ITTF rules. Those tourneys were riot.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 01:08 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Korea has a boatload of O40ish ladies who play Div 1 or Div 0 MEN'S level who did not yet migrate to OX LP on BH, but play a really mean offensive game with SP on BH and play real similar to the gal in the vid, of course at amature levels in Korea, they are simply not her level. That still doesn't stop them from being tough opponents as they are FAST, hit to trouble zones and seemingly never miss a ball that isn't heavy. They totally RULE in bang bang fast exchanges close to the table. I avoid those unless it is BH to BH where I got a 50/50 chance. Their FH to FH close to the table is an invite to quick death end of point put a smile on their face if you play their way and you are not as good at it as they are.

You will not believe how many macho 2 wing offensive inverted men's Div 1 city players fall to these skilled ladies with SP on BH and a mean game to back it up.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 15:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Outside China - in the rest of Asia that is - around the 1970s the "classic style" was Japanese penhold with inverted rubber (might be Sriver, might be Wakaba, depending on whether you were a schoolkid or a tournament player) on the playing side. I wouldn't say it was exactly like the pips-out hitter style but it was similar. Serves tended to be fancier (at least among schoolkids) - since you had inverted rubber you could try to put heavy sidespin on the ball, this is QUITE effective at the lower levels of the sport. The drives tended to have more spin than with short pips, too.

What I thought interesting was that, when the World Cup came to town (when was this - 1980 or so - I was in college already, or was I? have to look it up) there was a player from Brazil. And HE played Japanese Penhold! The only one who did, if I recall. There were two Chinese - Xie Saike (pips out) and Guo Yuehua (inverted) - the only Chinese penhold, the rest played shakehands - Grubba, Appelgren, Jonyer, Klampar, an Aussie called Pinkewich (I think he was a chopper). Oh yeah, and a local guy called Tay Tong Kee (I forget what he played with).

Iskandar