OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 14 May 2024, 07:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 19:43 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular

Lordcope at 5:35 ?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 20:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
A great video!!!

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 21:20 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Yep that's me. I've been keeping it under my hat, but Brett and I have been working on this for several weeks! It's awesome, isn't it?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 21:40 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Cool video. Is Brett really serving both left and right handed?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 21:49 
LP Collector
LP Collector

carbonman wrote:
Cool video. Is Brett really serving both left and right handed?

Nope - he just inverts the video, so he looks right-handed.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 00:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

"Tesco Lotus in Northern Thailand."

Was this guy at the club I visited?? Image The club in the video looked a great deal posher.

Got to try some of this stuff. Not sure WHY you have to lock your elbow behind your back, or why you have to stand facing away from the table (I thought this was sort of a carry-over from when serves were hidden, then I noticed EVERYONE was doing it, so I figure it's got something to do with keeping serves short) but I'll give it a try. My most used serve is a pendulum, plenty of wrist and forearm, no upper arm, but I DON'T lock my elbows behind my back, nor do I hit the ball so close to the stomach. I can get a respectable amount of backspin, but not so much that the ball comes back on the table, and I've been trying to figure out how to do it - I thought I simply didn't have enough racket speed.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 08:35 
LP Collector
LP Collector

The standing position is all about where you recover to for your next shot. The ideal serve from here is has a lot of spin, but is short. You're anticipating a pushed return that you can attack. After the serve, pivot on the front leg into a position to play your next shot.

The elbow is locked behind to discourage use of the shoulder. The action that generates the spin on the ball is forearm and wrist operating with a whipping action like you'd use if you were to flick a towel. The ball should be thrown up (Brett says: 'up your nose') and close to the stomach, again to encourage wrist and forearm to be the only active participants in the serve, as these move much faster, and this generate more spin, whilst naturally having a short follow through, thus ensuring that not too much energy is imparted on the ball.

I've been practicing this for about a week, and can generate much more spin that I used to!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 10:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
A VERY GOOD instructional video!

Lord Cope! I pictured you as a chubby guy with grey hair and bald on top! Whew! I sure was wrong!!!!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 18:46 

LordCope wrote:

The elbow is locked behind to discourage use of the shoulder. The action that generates the spin on the ball is forearm and wrist operating with a whipping action like you'd use if you were to flick a towel.

Any motion in the ball direction is additive. Using the shoulder adds to the speed of the forearm and wrist action.
It's just like the Chinese FH loop action - rotate waist, swing upper arm, forearm and even wrist.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 19:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

glennholder wrote:
A VERY GOOD instructional video!

Yes I agree... it's very well presented, highly entertaining and instructional... the almost perfect video! :clap:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 19:30 
LP Collector
LP Collector

reflecx wrote:
Any motion in the ball direction is additive. Using the shoulder adds to the speed of the forearm and wrist action.
It's just like the Chinese FH loop action - rotate waist, swing upper arm, forearm and even wrist.

Try to move your wrist forwards and backward roughly 4 times a second for about 10 seconds. Now try the same with your forearm. Now try with your whole arm. See the difference? If you start your stroke from your shoulder, you're not going to get as much speed on impact for a short shot, and you're going to struggle to put the brakes on.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 21:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

reflecx wrote:
LordCope wrote:

The elbow is locked behind to discourage use of the shoulder. The action that generates the spin on the ball is forearm and wrist operating with a whipping action like you'd use if you were to flick a towel.

Using the shoulder does add to the speed of the wrist and forearm IF your mechanics are great. Top Chinese use a lot of shoulder on their forehand power strokes. Top Chinese use no shoulder on the backspin serve, except to disguise the spin after the ball has left the bat. The wrist and the forearm move very quickly over short distances. if you use your shoulder on the serve it will have less spin as it will dominate the motion and the type of spin will be very obvious.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 22:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Brett Clarke wrote:
Using the shoulder does add to the speed of the wrist and forearm IF your mechanics are great. Top Chinese use a lot of shoulder on their forehand power strokes. Top Chinese use no shoulder on the backspin serve, except to disguise the spin after the ball has left the bat. The wrist and the forearm move very quickly over short distances. if you use your shoulder on the serve it will have less spin as it will dominate the motion and the type of spin will be very obvious.

Thank you Brett Clarke, and welcome to the forum! :rock:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 00:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Brett Clarke wrote:

For it to work you'd need to time the forearm and wrist movement just right - if you move them a little too late or a little too early you'll get less spin. If you're moving JUST the forearm and wrist, then the timing is so much easier to control. The smaller movement is probably also easier to disguise, though you could make a case for swinging the arm AND varying the timing of the forearm and wrist to disguise heavy vs. light backspin.

Where I play, there's one guy who's got a really heavy backspin serve - he uses this entire arm, and a high toss. Problem is he misses an awful lot of them, and the serves are always very long. I've been teaching him how to loop against backspin, he's at the point where he can get about 40% of them.

Back to the elbows behind the back and the serving next to the stomach. If these are to encourage the exclusive use of forearm and wrist, then I'm already doing that. I'm already whipping the wrist, and I'm not locking my elbows behind my back, nor am I facing away from the table. I think this stance is a holdover from hidden serves, and only really works serving from the backhand corner - you'd have to do something different when playing doubles. Trying it just now, it does allow a little more control over keeping your serves short - I've not gotten the hang of serving the ball as short as those "ghost serves" yet, maybe this will help.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 05:12 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Top Chinese use no shoulder on the backspin serve, except to disguise the spin after the ball has left the bat.

They don't use the shoulder much in order to hide the serve motion behind the body with a smaller motion. You obviously get more spin with a longer/faster stroke; I mean, just try it.