OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 01:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Paralympics table tennis
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2018, 02:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It suddenly occurred to me that I'd never actually watched (or even seen posted here) a wheelchair table tennis match. I found several on YouTube, this was from the quarterfinals of the London Paralympics in 2012. China vs. Germany.

Quite interesting - both players are restricted to playing right up next to the table (one wonders if anyone ever plays further back - maybe not). One wonders if this wouldn't be the ideal situation for pips out hitting. One also wonders what the rules are concerning serves - would ghost serves be allowed? If the ball dies six inches from the net I don't think anyone would be able to reach it, so would there be a rule against it? You'd have to be a superlative player to be able to produce such a serve in the first place, of course... Also you wonder if high lobbing might not be a viable tactic. Long, fast serves seem to be a strong weapon in this game.

There was a player in Florida back in the 1990s who was rated over 2000 playing in a wheelchair. I forget his name, but they often printed photos of him looping. According to one of the Yeh brothers I talked to at a tournament (Norman or Clark, can't remember which) this man would about fall out of his wheelchair when he looped the ball. How well might you do against one of these two?

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!