OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 02 May 2024, 06:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: advice for an oldtimer?
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 10:50 

I'm a player with many years experience playing in competition, however, have not played at all in the past five years due to shoulder operations etc.. the cuerrent setup i have is donic desto rubbers (about seven years old) with an attacking donic blade to suit. It is a very fast setup, and it suited me at the time of purchase as I like to pay aggressively off both sides(handshake grip). I like to play a semi-loop, heavy topspin and heavy slice game off both sides, and am given to very hard, flat drives off both sides at every available opportunity. I am looking for rubbers which would suit the donic blade, with plenty of tackiness for my backhand and forehand topspin, reasonable control, and the ability to neutralise opposition spin/send it back with interest. In the past Ive found mark V, stiga, and double happiness to my liking, although they tended to lose their tackiness/grip too quickly(apart from the mark V) and hence wear out too easily. Any tips on best glues to use? any advantage to using "speed glue"? Price is not really a consideration, I'm just after high quality rubbers which will perform well for more than one season. Any suggestions regarding price availability, + postage etcc would be appreciated. I live in Gippsland, Victoria. Thanks team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 12:10 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Hi mango! Some stuff has gotten different in the last 5 yrs, especially the equipment! You are gonna get good advice here from the crew. I am just a rookie... Most of the forum members here like pips on one or more side, but are solid in knowing inverted and everything about how to use it. There is a thread on "worthwile experiment" where some mebers try using EE II and Long Lasting Speed Glue with good effect.

Some rubber you might consider (there are a ton, so I list only a few that do most of what you look for) Juic Elite Ultima SV (BH), Juic Nano Cannon (FH), 729 Higher or Faster, Globe 999 National, and TSP Actor. Everyone will chime in with this and that, and back it up with experience. I tried all the above except the 729 stuff (go figure that).

You get great ideas and info - almost information overload. Welcome back to the game!

Thread for EE II and LL glue...
http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=836&highlight=

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 19:58 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Is your shoulder given the doctor's ok now? I'd advise to stick to lighter setups (180g-?), given what I'm experiencing, but that's just me.

Planning on sticking with the Mark V? (good rubber!) I suggest trying out speed glue to enhance one of your favored rubbers.

Planning out on trying the new rubbers? You might want to check out the faster rubbers of each of the brands you mentioned (Yasaka V-Stage, Stiga Almana, DHS...argh, stumped. )

Finding out that the grip wears out too quickly? Look for that veggie oil experiment for a quick fix -- might be the case of a still usable rubber after all. Maybe a little too dry after all that cleaning with water/alcohol/soap.

All in all, I'd like to say, is that if you try out any of these, use your current blade for a somewhat objective comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 22:53 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Photino for now
FH: Haifu Blue Whale for now
BH: Donic Bluefire for now
I would shy away from the DHS's those puppies are heavy for a recovering shoulder surgery. I like the Juic suggestions. If you are leaning towards a lighter setup take a quick look at the Galaxy T-2. In fact I dont know if I would go with Chinese type rubbers for you at all. It seems you have played alot of euro/jap stuff so I don't think I would make a drastic change. Haggis has some TSP stuff that isn't hugely different from Mark V. Speed glue sounds like it would be a fun passtime for you. Get pumped up to waft in more fumes than you have in awhile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 10:12 

I would have to say that from what Ive read that most chinese rubbers are heavier than most. Also as someone who has recently picked up after a 22 year layoff you may want to start with a rubber that is more a control rubber. As I was informed, zeropong.com, has 729 Lightning on sale right now for $5 a sheet and it is supposed to be lighter, softer and more of a control rubber. I will leave more info after my order arrives and I have a chance to try it out. should be thur or fri. Good luck and welcome back to the fold. :wink:

LOOPERS RULE, I'm just trying to keep up!!!!!!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 11:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
mangoangler wrote:
I'm a player with many years experience playing in competition, however, have not played at all in the past five years due to shoulder operations etc.. the cuerrent setup i have is donic desto rubbers (about seven years old) with an attacking donic blade to suit. It is a very fast setup, and it suited me at the time of purchase as I like to pay aggressively off both sides(handshake grip). I like to play a semi-loop, heavy topspin and heavy slice game off both sides, and am given to very hard, flat drives off both sides at every available opportunity. I am looking for rubbers which would suit the donic blade, with plenty of tackiness for my backhand and forehand topspin, reasonable control, and the ability to neutralise opposition spin/send it back with interest. In the past Ive found mark V, stiga, and double happiness to my liking, although they tended to lose their tackiness/grip too quickly(apart from the mark V) and hence wear out too easily. Any tips on best glues to use? any advantage to using "speed glue"? Price is not really a consideration, I'm just after high quality rubbers which will perform well for more than one season. Any suggestions regarding price availability, + postage etcc would be appreciated. I live in Gippsland, Victoria. Thanks team.

I've been thinking about this, but I'm uncertain what to recommend...

If you want plenty of tack, chinese rubbers are the way to go.

You said: "ability to neutralise opposition spin/send it back with interest"
This is a tricky one... by neutralise I assume you want it not too sensitve to incoming spin, but if you want to give back a lot spin you need the opposite.

You said: "mark V, stiga, and double happiness " Mark V is a well known rubber, but it has no tack... it's just very grippy. Stiga and DHS are manufacturers who make a wide range of rubbers...you'd have to be more specific than this... Most DHS rubbers are quite tacky, and would be very different to mark V....

I guess you wanmt something allround, that last for a while...

Something like RITC 2000 MRS or Cream MRS would fit this, as probably many other do. If you want tacky rubbers to last, you really need to know how to look after them properly... see this guide here for some tips:

Looking faster tacky rubbers

Speed glue does not last, and unless you work out a good and strict procedure, it will make your bat different every time... not really recommended for most people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 11:30 

thanks guys/girls, I'm starting to remember what I liked about table tennis the most - apart from the game itself - that the people you meet are just so sharing, generous, and helpful to each other; you don't get too many "bad eggs in these cartons". Thanks for all your suggestions and good wishes!

Thanks for your suggestions so far. I'm also keen to achieve more control early in the piece, so I'm happy to give up a bit of speed for good tackiness and spin qualities - both to neutralise incomings, and add my own zip to returns.

Does anybody have any ideas around costs for setting up my donic carbon-mix blade, (which I think was rated at about 8.5 + speed), for rubbers which sacrifice speed for the qualities mentioned above? (Plus a standard glue, and postage to gippsland?). I'm hearing what people are saying re rubbers designed for short term rather than a whole season.

Keep the suggestions coming, as having been out of the fold for a while, I'm totally out of touch. cheers and thanks again, and i'll let everyone know how my new setup goes once I've decided on a working model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 12:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks for the kind words!

I think you would have got a lot more advice tips if you can be a bit more specific. The point I was trying to make in my post is that you're after is something very diverse, with some conflicting requirement.
For example you mentioned donic desto and double happiness rubbers... well these 2 are most likely at almost opposite sides of the range... the donic being non-tacky, soft sponged, in-built speed glue effect and the double happiness probably tacky, hard sponged and most likely much longer lasting...(since you did not specify the exact rubber I'm generalising here). So to recommend something that's similar to these is obviously very hard...

You've also only just revealed that your blade is carbon... which is actually very important to be able to recommend suitable rubbers. The exact model of the blade would help even more.

Please don't take offense by this... I'm just trying to help and understand what you're really after, so that we can give good advice. I know also that it's hard to learn all the terminology (that many of us take for granted), the sport has become a lot more technical, making it even harder to learn.

Regarding prices, shipping for rubbers is free within australia. For glue any tube of normal table tennis glue (not speed lgue) that we carry should do fine. Alternative you can use some rubber cement from an art supply store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 20:15 
I am Legend
I am Legend

8,5 isn't that fast on the donic scale - around about a waldner senso carbon speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 11:37 

Hi Team,

I think i got a reply to an email I posted today (from haggisv), but the computer ate it, so at the risk of repeating myself, here goes it again: the blade I have is a donic persson dicon, and it was loaded up with desto F1.

It does not appear to be a carbon blade - but i may be wrong??

I've done some research on feedback/user forums, and I'm leaning towards the following rubbers:

B/H Geospin tacky

F/H DHS Hurricane (blue sponge)

Would that work? Any significant downsides?

As mentioned earlier, I was a very aggressive player, but decided it may be time to just slow down a little and work my way back into the game over a season or two. As I'm more of a "whole body" player, and tend to hit through the ball fairly flat with sweeping strokes, these rubbers seem they might suit. Opinions please??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 11:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

If you liked the feel of F1, why don't you just go to F2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 13:12 

Silver wrote:
If you liked the feel of F1, why don't you just go to F2?
thanks silver -
due to shoulder surgery etcc.. need to play a little bit differently during recovery, tone down the speed a bit. cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 15:18 
I am Legend
I am Legend

The problem with many of the heavy, hard chinese rubbers is that you need faster hand speed for power shots.

That's how I see it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 15:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes silver makes a good point!

If you've had shoulder injury, you may want something lighter and a rubber that can more easilty generate the pace.

Balsa blades, although more fragile and more expensive, are light and can generate great pace with much less effort... Just another option to throw in. Tensor rubbers like your F1 cn also do this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2007, 16:05 

hello all,
thanks for all the advice. The combo I've settled on is:

Dawei Inspirit and geospin tacky rubbers glued onto the 729 bomb 7ply cork/balsa blade.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to play with it a few times.

cheers and thanks again