OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 06 May 2024, 05:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 11:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Well the skyline 2 is not a bad choice at all...is there anything you don't like or have trouble with, regarding the skyline 2?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 23:04 
Super User

Skyline 2. Good question! I hadn't thought of that as an option, but it does actually seem to play OK for me. I originally had this on the BH on the X560, with the H3 on the FH. Tried it around the other way a couple of times but the H3 didn't have enough feel for the BH and/or was too fast. Maybe I could just get a Skyline 2 in red. It actually works quite well for me on the FH now, although I'm wondering if it will be quite fast enough on a slower blade.

:idea: Think I'll take the two rubbers off the X560 and put them on the Stiga and see how they go. That should give me a good feel for it I guess. Something to try at weekend.

Silly me, after reading how de haggis and others keep their pips in the one colour I have a couple of black ones and a red one. Feel like a goose now, eh! I do note however that it tends to confuse folk if they don't notice I've changed my bats round :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007, 07:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes...sounds like a good plan... try the rubber you have already on whatever blade/combination you have already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 22:41 
Super User

As you'll see in my New Pips Player journal, I've tried the Skyline II on the Stiga and quite like it. I'll see how the 755 and it go for a while.

I've also zeroed in on a blade, the LKT Pro XC BALSA Transformer Blade looks like it might do what I want. Your website doesn't indicate weight - I'm hoping its around 85g +/_ ??

Just 'cause I can, I've also ordered some Globe 999 Nat; Cream MRS and LKT Torrent to try them out and compare them.

Just about an EJ ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 23:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes the XC is around 85g, I just checked one...

Yep you'd be just about there.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 21:01 
Super User

Well, I've finally settled on the following to work with as an 'allround' combination for now. (Or is that 'modern defender'?).

LKT Pro XC BALSA Transformer Blade;
FH LKT Torrent (black);
BH Dawei BH 388D-1 LP.

This seems to give me good touch and the ability to belt the ball with reasonable speed of BH and FH.

The 388D allows some topspin returns to mix things up from pushes which is important when playing some of the slower players in our club. It also provides good trickery when used to block or with a false BS or TS shot.

The LKT Torrent loops and chops pretty well and provides good spin on serves.

The handle on the blade is comfortable, but I'm not sure how good it will be as I work to improve my twiddling. Maybe I will need a blade with a straight or anatomical handle instead. I have ended up with the transformer weight set at about halfway.

This rig is is overall medium paced, offers plenty of control and the ability to impart strong spin. The touch is about right for the style of game that I play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 15:06 
Super User

Had some coaching with Silver's club coach this week. He is suggesting that given the way I use my BH, I really should use inverted not pips. So, now I'm going to try and develop an all-round game with that in mind at least for a while.

Given my playing style, he is suggesting that I go for a softer sponge with perhaps 1.5mm sponge on BH, and 1.8 or max 2.0 mm sponge on FH. I think tacky, or at least semi-tacky, rubber is still indicated.

So, what is there in the OOAK shop which might be suitable for this? I am thinking that I would need something on a japanese sponge. Another possibility he suggested is Bty Tackiness Drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 15:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I can suggest a few option that sort of fit that criteria that we have in the shop:

FH:
LKT XT/XP
729 Lightening
Kokutaku 007 Japanese sponge 2.0mm

BH:
Supersoft 1.5mm
Geospin 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 15:59 
I am Legend
I am Legend

hmm
Supersoft might be a bit sticky, but could do the trick. I should have gotten you to have a go at the Instinct + supersoft/magicwand bats we had there (from Haggisv :P)
I haven't use Geospin before.

Sorry about that looping. I can't do slow bh loops easily against that much chop yet. Should have been able to do it on the FH, but you were getting quite a bit there and I didn't want to turn it into a full loop

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 22:29 
Super User

Silver wrote:
hmm
Supersoft might be a bit sticky, but could do the trick.

Eh? This is extract from product info: "it features an Ultra thin and super responsive non sticky top sheet ..." and yet you says its might be a bit sticky, which you are presumably implying that it might be too sticky. Can it be both too sticky and not sticky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 22:42 
Super User

Silver wrote:
Sorry about that looping. I can't do slow bh loops easily against that much chop yet. Should have been able to do it on the FH, but you were getting quite a bit there and I didn't want to turn it into a full loop

I think the multi ball was useful for both of us. My relatively uncontrolled chops were certainly getting a lot more spin than I would have thought, and that was mainly due to (marginally) improved technique as my poor attempt to put suggestions of coach into effect. I guess coach was also thinking that the human as distinct from robot chops would be good for you to tackle.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed my couple of visits to you club, and very much appreciated the hospitality extended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 22:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

drop us a line next time you're up this way.

Last edited by Silver on 14 Sep 2007, 22:53, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 22:52 
Super User

Silver wrote:
drop us a line next time you're up this way.

You bet! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 22:53 
I am Legend
I am Legend

And remember to use your arm, not just your wrist :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2007, 07:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

andrefox wrote:
Silver wrote:
hmm
Supersoft might be a bit sticky, but could do the trick.

Eh? This is extract from product info: "it features an Ultra thin and super responsive non sticky top sheet ..." and yet you says its might be a bit sticky, which you are presumably implying that it might be too sticky. Can it be both too sticky and not sticky?

Yes Silver is right, it is a little sticky, but only mildly.