OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ideal blade for Curl P1R
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014, 06:59 
Comeback Chopper

I have a question about TSP Curl P1R in maximum thickness, i.e., 1.4-1.7mm.

For the past year, I have used this rubber on my Joo SeHyuk blades. My motivation for using this rubber was simply that I was given a sheet of this rubber which previously used by Seo Hyowon. With this connection to one of the best female defenders in the world, I had to try it out. When I first tried this rubber it was hard to control. However, with practice I came to enjoy using it a lot, the control became good, and it is an especially wonderful feeling to chop back loops low and fast with lots of backspin.

This leads to the following question. Is the hard Joo blade close to being ideal for this particular rubber in maximum thickness? Stated slightly differently, is the spin variation better on a Joo blade, or a slower softer blade? It isn't obvious to me whether the pips would bend more on a softer or a harder blade for P1R in maximum thickness. In contrast, for a very thin or OX sheet of P1R, I would expect that the pips would bent more on a slower, softer blade.

If the spin variation is better with a slower, softer blade, then I have another question. Why is P1R so popular on a Joo blade. Is it because the chops are faster? Or, perhaps there is a different reason, i.e., defenders use a Joo blade as a compromise between offense and defense, and P1R happens to be amongst the best rubbers for this blade.

I hope that my question is clear.

Years ago, when I played table tennis as a teenager, I gave little thought to equipment. I just used what other people recommended. Nowadays, it is fascinating for me to learn more about the equipment that I do use and others use.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014, 08:56 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Steven,

I have no experience with the P1r in maximum thickness but I did try it in 0.5 and 1.1 on a Joo Se Hyuk blade and I also tried it in 0.5 on VKM and VKM Offensive.

I prefer both thicknesses on the JSH blade because:
- for me, the feeling is just better, more 'direct', hard, nice unhollow sound
- chops can be kept low
- chops return fast
- the blade is heavy giving more stability for chopping defence

But above all, I like the JSH as an attacking blade for forehand. Loops (esp. from a distance) are powerful, fast and spinny. The blade catapults your loops or fast drives more then most other defensive blades.

My game slows down with VKM, Defplay, Aigis and for me this is not good. Classical defenders might benefit more from those softer and slower blades. VKMO is closer too JSH, I like that blade a lot too... Butterfly Defence Pro is in the middle.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I have the impression most top defenders with a BIG forehand (Joo himself, Filus, Kang Dongsoo) have a JSH blade.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 02:08 
Comeback Chopper

Pipsy wrote:
Steven,

I have no experience with the P1r in maximum thickness but I did try it in 0.5 and 1.1 on a Joo Se Hyuk blade and I also tried it in 0.5 on VKM and VKM Offensive.

I prefer both thicknesses on the JSH blade because:
- for me, the feeling is just better, more 'direct', hard, nice unhollow sound
- chops can be kept low
- chops return fast
- the blade is heavy giving more stability for chopping defence

But above all, I like the JSH as an attacking blade for forehand. Loops (esp. from a distance) are powerful, fast and spinny. The blade catapults your loops or fast drives more then most other defensive blades.

My game slows down with VKM, Defplay, Aigis and for me this is not good. Classical defenders might benefit more from those softer and slower blades. VKMO is closer too JSH, I like that blade a lot too... Butterfly Defence Pro is in the middle.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I have the impression most top defenders with a BIG forehand (Joo himself, Filus, Kang Dongsoo) have a JSH blade.

Pipsy,

Thanks for your explanation. The only comparison that I have done is with the Xiom Aigis with various long pips. My experience with the JSH blades is consistent with all four advantages that you list. I guess I should try to have a bigger picture and not focus only on spin variation. I have seen people have lots of trouble with a fast, low chop from the P1R with heavy backspin. If they are out of position, a loop against this chop always goes into the net.

People tell me that it is so much harder to play against the JSH blade than the Aigis. With regard to offense, I find the JSH blade to be wonderful for attacking at a distance. The catapult from the blade is great. However, I still have a long way to go in improving my offense.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 04:23 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I have been using TSP P1r 1.5-1.7 for about 3 years on quit a few different blades. IE Bty Mat Pro, Bty Joo, Bty Def II, Victas Mat Def, and Victas Koji Mat. All are good in their own ways. If and I do mean IF you can control the Joo blade it would probably be your best bet if you are more of a offensive type of defender. Loop more than chop. But if you love to chop your opponent down with awesome flat chops? The Victas Koji Mat is the best chopping blade there is IMO. Doesnt loop as well as the Joo but still can hold its own. The VKM Def is just too slow. The other are good but not as good as these two.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!