OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 03:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 00:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I got these two rubbers from Alex this week and played with them last night. If people want fast short pip rubbers, these are the ticket.

Both sheets are related to Spectol which I've used for awhile. Pips are medium sized, smaller than 802-40, Patisuma II, Raystorm, but slightly larger than pips like 802, 651, C7 and 563. Tyranno's topsheet feels a little softer than Spectol's, the Speed's topsheet a little harder.

I prepared them with 3 layers of regular glue, then let them sit overnight before attaching them to a custom carbon blade and played with them over 24 hours after the last application of glue, so the review is unglued.

The Tyranno is 2.0 red but has a tensioned sponge that is quite fast and not as soft as tensors like Joola Tango Ultra and Andro Revolution C.O.R. short pips. Spin is demonstrably better than my 802-1 and the throw is slightly lower than my previous sheet of Spectol in 1.8 sponge.

If you back off the table, you can loop and counter with Tyranno better than most other short pips I've used, but with more control and feel on the short game than with thicker sponge short pips, like Patisuma II. This is a good short pips for those who often play mid-distance and both loop and smash and don't want to speedglue.

I noticed with the Tyranno that you had to sink the ball into the sponge to get it to perform (like with JTU) so it wasn't as good for the roll shot I've been working on, but when I swung hard, the rubber responded and made some surprisingly devastating shots.

Spectol Speed (1.8 black) looks similar to Spectol but the harder pips and sponge mean that rebound on blocks and flips is quicker. Throw is a little higher than Tyranno, but lower than regular Spectol. Spin was still good, despite the harder 45 degree sponge and topspin balls had more arc and distance compared to my usual 802-1.

Spectol Speed seems like a good short pip for an off-the bounce blocking and counter game, I won a number of points on quick blocks. I can see why this is the pip of choice for top players, especially those that glue. You could go to thinner sponge and still retain the speed and penetration of these, maybe this is why some top women short pips players use 1.5 or even 1.0.

Quality of both seemed excellent and price is lower than some of the more heavily advertised Japanese and European brands. These are probably too advanced for me on a fast blade, but for someone with a slower blade, or the training to use these they are lethal weapons.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 07:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks a lot for the review Andrew!

It is interesting that the pips on the spectol speed are harder, as the manufacturer seemed to indicate that it was the normal spectol but on a harder and faster sponge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 08:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Thanks a lot for the review Andrew!

It is interesting that the pips on the spectol speed are harder, as the manufacturer seemed to indicate that it was the normal spectol but on a harder and faster sponge.

They feel harder to me compared to both regular Spectol and Tyranno. Maybe it's the same approach as Flarestorm compared to Raystorm. Still seemed to spin well though over the table and definitely more pop.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 04:39 
Super User

anyone can tell me about sharpin pips? are they good, spinny fast..
thnks

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 05:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bbkon wrote:
anyone can tell me about sharpin pips? are they good, spinny fast..
thnks

From the reviews on this site and elsewhere they are supposed to be fast but not very spinny: http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/sharping.htm

DHS Dragonow is supposed to be spinnier: http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/dragonow.htm

I kind of doubt that either will be any spinnier than 889-2 or 802-40 or than Juic Patisuma or Patisuma II which have better quality sponges.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 12:45 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I've got a sheet of Dragonow.
From my extremely limited SP experience, it's spinny, but nowhere near as spinny as 802-40, Tango Ultra and raystorm. Probably a bit spinnier than Spectol 21 and spinnier than Speedy PO and 820A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008, 16:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Andrew

My favorite is Raystorm. Is the Tyrano worth a try for me? Your ability to use it at mid distance suggests it might be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008, 20:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Baal wrote:
Andrew

My favorite is Raystorm. Is the Tyrano worth a try for me? Your ability to use it at mid distance suggests it might be.

Tyranno has a much lower throw angle than Raystorm, so I don't think it would be such a good substitute.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 15:29 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Here's a rather not-so-good image of Tyranno, I'm looking to get a better one soon.

Also, Tyranno doesn't seem to have that soft and grippy topsheet similar to Raystorm, I suspect that you do have to engage the sponge to produce some spin.

Looking forward to trying this sheet out (courtesy of agooding), but I don't think it'll work well with my current stroke. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 20:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Glad it finally got to you, let me know how it plays.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 22:56 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

It's...weird. I expected something like Spectol or Spectol 21, really, since the topsheet feels like there's some slippery wax on top of it.

While it's not as soft as Raystorm, it's certainly seems a tad softer than the Friendship offerings. (802, 802-1, 802-40)

The sponge is dynamic, as I expected of TSP. I would probably put it medium hardness.

The thing I found weird is, while it's not as spinny as say, 802-40, and would probably put it somewhere in the 802-1/802 territory, I found it easy to adapt and use, as if I was using my 802-40.

It's a bit easier to block with than 802-40, too. A fair bit faster than that, though.

I'm liking it quite a fair bit, it's like retaining most of the character of 802-40 with a bit less of spin and more of ease of use.

I think I'll use this for quite a while.

Again, I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised with this sheet.

For Baal: it feels quite different from Raystorm, I suspect while you'll probably adapt to the lower throw angle, you'll probably stick to your trusty Raystorm, probably because of the topsheet differences.

---

1. The reviewer: Intermediate level, inverted FH, short pips BH. Loop/hit. Only six months worth of SP play, though. Played TSP Tyranno on an Avalox P500.

2. Physical Properties: Red, 2.0mm (sponge says 1.9~2.1mm), probably medium hardness sponge (think a tad harder than Raystorm, quite a bit softer than Friendship HRS and standard orange sponges), great quality sheet, oddly waxy/slippery feel on the pips and ITTF stamp, received it a bit domed; cause unknown.

3. Speed:
- Speed on slow strokes: Slow-medium, with ability to control pace well.
- Speed on power loops: medium/medium-fast
- Speed on power drives/smashes: fast

4. Spin:
- Spin on a loop: marginal, easy enough to block but enough to bring fast topspin drives down the endline.
- Spin on serves/pushes: No comment, I use inverted for serves. Marginal spin on pushes, but the spin/no spin variation is easy to perform, and enough to create pop-ups at current level.

5. Control:
Easy blocking given the topsheet, pushing is also easy, spin pushing is hard (a given), speed goes up linearly with the use of the sponge.

6. Other Playing properties: Throw angle similar to 802-1/802. Blocked balls aren't very tricky, but was tested against short pips players.
Easy to hit through spin, but also a tad more difficult to spin the ball given the topsheet. There is confidence for hitting at away from the table due to topsheet and sponge, but is not advised.

7. Reference: 802 on Avalox 40* Magic A 2.2mm red, 802-40 2.2mm red, 802-40 2.0mm red, Raystorm 2.1mm red.

8. Other comments: Can be considered when looking for something in-between a classic short pip (802 and the likes) and spinny SPs. (802-40) Linear feel helps well in blocking, both in passive and active.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 23:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Glad you like it, it came domed, I think that's part of it being a Japanese-type tensor sheet. I didn't treat or speedglue it, only used regular glue.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 00:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That's a real nice review Yuzuki!

Perhaps you can also post it in the short pip section... not sure if anyone would find it here :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 01:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
They will now I got hold of it in my review index. :twisted: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 06:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
They will now I got hold of it in my review index. :twisted: :lol:

Grrr :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: