OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Have you used the expedite system
I know about it but have never used it 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
I know about it and have used it 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
I didn't know about it but wish I did!!! 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Expedite!
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2024, 21:10 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Whilst watching a local league match last night, I noticed on another table a game that didn't seem to end with rallies that went on and on and on and on....... Whilst other matches on other tables had played multiple games, this match was still going on.

I spoke later with the umpire and asked if he knew about the expedite rule to prevent this type of thing happening. He didn't.

To that end,

1. do you know what the expedite rule is and if yes,
2. would you feel confident / comfortable enough as the umpire to enforce the rule

For reference:

2.15 THE EXPEDITE SYSTEM

2.15.1 Except as provided in 2.15.2, the expedite system shall come into operation after 10 minutes’ play in a game or at any time when requested by both players or pairs.

2.15.2 The expedite system shall not be introduced in a game if at least 18 points have been scored.

2.15.3 If the ball is in play when the time limit is reached and the expedite system is due to come into operation, play shall be interrupted by the umpire and shall resume with service by the player who served in the rally that was interrupted; if the ball is not in play when the expedite system comes into operation, play shall resume with service by the player who received in the immediately preceding rally.

2.15.4 Thereafter, each player shall serve for 1 point in turn until the end of the game, and if the receiving player or pair makes 13 correct returns in a rally the receiver shall score a point.

2.15.5 Introduction of the expedite system shall not alter the order of serving and receiving in the match, as defined in 2.13.6.

2.15.6 Once introduced, the expedite system shall remain in operation until the end of the match.

source: ITTF Handbook 2022

Post subject: Re: Expedite!
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2024, 22:49 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I do know about it, but in my many years of playing, I think I've only ever seen it happen once or twice. You'd need two choppers to have the scenario where it would be most likely to happen.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2024, 01:49 

Debater wrote:
2.15.1 Except as provided in 2.15.2, the expedite system shall come into operation after 10 minutes’ play in a game or at any time when requested by both players or pairs.

So local leagues can enforce this as a rule instead of aa an option if they like

I once tried this (of all people against my practice partner & travel buddy) but lost the match. Sad trip for me back home with him 200 miles

The expedite was 15 minutes then I think (or 20 minutes I am not sure) with the 21 point games

From what I heard Ruth Aaron of USA was involved in a match & the match ws cancelled & she shared the World title or something like that before expedite was introduced.
I am also not sure but I think Alex Ehlrich of Poland , who was a concentration camp survivor (because of table tennis) played the longets point at the same World's ?
I read in Marty Reisman's book that Alex was a bomb defusal expert (used by Nazis) who can defuse any bomb in minutes but pretended like it took all day to avoid being sent back to the (concentration) camp too soon that day :whew:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2024, 03:12 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
It happens far too rarely to have any sense of implementing such idea.

No offense, the idea itself is okay, but there is no need of having this used, as this scenario happens once in a full moon. For example, in my country people are not that consistent to constantly carry the danger of having such rallies.

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2024, 03:51 

GregorTT425 wrote:

I never said or intended to remotely imply that this should be applied universally.
I meant only for a specific given league if it is a weekly happening

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2024, 08:08 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
It is rare, agreed. However, it happened last night and I've seen it happen often when two defenders play each other - which happens in our league where older players use slower equipment to slow the game down to fit in better with their physical attibutes and chosen style of play.

The problem comes when you have league matches, like ours, where there are 3 players per team and each player plays the other players in the other team plus one game of doubles. That's 10 matches in a night. Our venue has to be booked so matches are scheduled to start at 19:30 and everyone needs to be out of the venue by 22:45. Individual matches that go on for 45 minutes plus can jeopardise that and make it difficult for others who follow to fit their games in.

Venue logistics therefore also come in to play with the expedite rule and because of this, I think it's a good rule and should be applied. I also believe, players should be advised the expedite rule will be invoked (where it's known matches between these two players last a long time) before they start the match so there are no surprises.

From a different perspective, it might be interesting to have a rule where a minimum of 6 shots have to be played before a point can be won! nah, that's just being silly. :devil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2024, 06:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Leeds Judean A 20th Feb 2024
11 - 3 11 - 6 99 - 97
Look at the score in the last game,anyone seen higher than this?doubt anyone would have suggested expedite intervention as it involved the leagues no 1 player

Last edited by dazzler on 02 Mar 2024, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2024, 06:17 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
JayZee wrote:
GregorTT425 wrote:

I never said or intended to remotely imply that this should be applied universally.
I meant only for a specific given league if it is a weekly happening

I see. Is there such a league? I would be more than curious to see such rallies. Consecutive chops and loops.

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2024, 17:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

dazzler wrote:
Leeds Judean A 20th Feb 2024
11 - 3 11 - 6 99 - 97
Look at the score in the last game,anyone seen higher than this?doubt anyone would have suggested expedite intervention as it involved the leagues no 1 player

I don't know if the Expedite Rule would have helped shorten that third game. What it does is shorten rallies, and it forces the server to attack and end the point before the 13th hit, but if all the points were short and they simply kept going to deuce after deuce, the game would have gone on just as long with the Expedite Rule in force as it would have without. In fact, the Expedite Rule might conceivably be the cause of the players scoring that many alternate points (if both are really strong defenders but weak attackers..).

GregorTT425 wrote:
I see. Is there such a league? I would be more than curious to see such rallies. Consecutive chops and loops.

If you are curious, check out YouTube. I've seen at least one match where this happened (Fukuhara Ai was involved).

Mind you, some of the televised professional leagues (T2, etc.) have even weirder special rules to move things along. Five point final games, "golden points", no deuce games, etc.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2024, 19:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've seen it happen only once the competition that I play in, so it's certainly a rule that can be be called into action.
In this case it was between two elderly but very experienced and quality players. Clearly the umpire had the skill and courage to call it. The players were very happy, but they knew and accepted the rule. and finished the match that way.