OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 21:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Got back late last night and have to get going early for work, but here's a quick summary. In U-2400, I had an all "junk rubber" group. Played a 1780 rated guy with really spinny inverted on his forehand and Peacekeeper on the backhand. First two games, neither one of us could return the other player's serve, but I won at deuce both games. We both played better in the next couple, but I ended up winning 3-1. Top player in my group was a woman who was a 2300 chopper with anti on one side and inverted on the other. She beat me 6, 8, 7. If I'd been more aggressive in hitting with the pips I might have done even better.

In U-2200 I was at the top of the #5 round robin group. Beat another 1780 rated guy who typically gives me trouble. Even though I wasn't playing all that well, my defense and serves got me past him. Next was an unrated guy who had an awesome forehand. This was my epic comeback of the day. He was hitting absolutely everything with his forehand and I couldn't make him miss. He didn't even have much trouble with pips after the first game! I won the first, then he smoked me in games 2 and 3. In game 4 he was up 6-1 when I decided to back up and start chopping. That completely turned the tide, I came back to win that game and crushed him something like 11-4 in the fifth! The #2 player in my round robin was 1870 and he did not like pips. I won the first pretty easily, then game 2 I missed a bunch of kill shots and lost at deuce. After that, I started playing really well and just destroyed him, 11-4, 11-3 in the final two games. After the match, this guy was really pissed off. He was Polish, all I could make out between a bunch of angry sounding Polish was "F*** pips". He must have ranted for a good 10 minutes to his friends about my game and the pips. Cracked me up. Then, I got lucky with how the draw fell. All the top rated guys were getting knocked off! In the quarterfinals I got a guy who played with anti on one side who was rated in the 1860s and I beat him pretty easily, 3-0. In the semis, I got the 1780 guy with Peacekeeper again, who beat the top seed (over 2000) in his round robin, and I beat him 3-0 this time, winning two more games at deuce against him! In the finals I faced a player with inverted on both sides in the 1950s. We split the first two games (I won the second 11-1!). I was up 8-2 in the third, and then my game completely left me. Suddenly, I was missing smashes all over the place (he was a really good fisher) and lost 11-9. In the fifth I must have missed 5 or 6 easy kill shots because I was rushing them too much and he beat me. Really frustrating, I felt like I could have won that match.

So, I got second place, in U-2200, completely unexpected for me, especially when I felt like my game was a bit off! This tournament was HUGE for me, because it makes me feel legitimate about my rating. Even when I was off my game, I was beating 1800 level players who previously had beaten me, and when I was on my game, I was easily beating upper 1800 level players! It was a big confidence boost, and hopefully sets me up for a great finish to the year in the giant round robin tournament at my club on December 3. I have some videos, might get to upload them later in the week.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 00:06 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Nice result Doug! :up:

Sounds like your confidence is climbing. Must be all that SPIN play with all the distractions there. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 00:33 
Hard Justice

dwruck wrote:
Top player in my group was a woman who was a 2300 chopper with anti on one side and inverted on the other. She beat me 6, 8, 7. If I'd been more aggressive in hitting with the pips I might have done even better.

I'm assuming that was Maria Kretschmer; I played her in Aurora and made the mistake of not inspecting her racket since she was making such a big deal out of mine. I just asked her if she had pips on the back and she said "no," which was correct, but here I thought most of the match she had inverted on both sides (durr).

Quote:
After the match, this guy was really pissed off. He was Polish, all I could make out between a bunch of angry sounding Polish was "F*** pips". He must have ranted for a good 10 minutes to his friends about my game and the pips. Cracked me up.

Heh, I know exactly who you're talking about; last time I saw him, he did a little heel-spin after losing a point and shouted "F****** pips!" at the top of his lungs.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 00:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Very well written description of your matches and situations! I appreciate the story and it sounds like you had a great day!

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 12:31 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I did, thanks! Abdul, I'm surprised I didn't see you there.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 13:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice going dwruck! :clap: :clap: :clap: Better get ready to update thet rating in your signature. ;)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 20:52 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I know! Got one more tournament this year, hope to keep improving on it and finish strong! I can't believe it was just about 6 months ago that I was in the low 1700s. All the things that I've been working on clicked with my new equipment right away to give me a big boost!

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 05:07 
Hard Justice

Yeah..
dwruck wrote:
Abdul, I'm surprised I didn't see you there.

Yeah, unfortunately I've gone back to finish college on top of work, so I took a lengthy break throughout the summer until now, but I hope to catch you at the next tournament.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 12:57 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Sounds great, hope to see you soon! I hope to have a few videos updated at the end of the week.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 21:02 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Ratings are now updated, I'm up to a new high, 1951! A couple of guys who are playing in this weekend's giant round robin have shot up above 2000, which is good news for me if they're in the same group that I am. I'm really hoping that I can maybe get above 2000 to end the year.