OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 16:53 
Super User

carbonman wrote:
From what I have read of where you are currently at I am guessing you should be eligible for both Division 1 and Dvision 2 singles.

I was thinking the same thing, I had a look at the current TTV rankings and there are a few players on there who I played against in the Juniors. Obviously a lot has changed since 2006, but I figured it's a fairly reasonable guide :P

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 16:59 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

id have guessed 1 and 2 as well.

i wasn't eligible to play 2 when i went last year, but probably should have been able to. it would have done good things for my ego! instead i had to play a seed in div 1 groups and lost :(

this year if i go down, (we'll see dan) maybe we can play some div 1 doubles buddy? :P

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 17:22 
Super User

SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
id have guessed 1 and 2 as well.

i wasn't eligible to play 2 when i went last year, but probably should have been able to. it would have done good things for my ego! instead i had to play a seed in div 1 groups and lost :(

this year if i go down, (we'll see dan) maybe we can play some div 1 doubles buddy? :P

It should be interesting to see what the standard is like between the two divisions.

I'm definitely keen for some doubles, the more events I can enter the more worthwhile it will be :up:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 17:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Dan2105 wrote:
No worries Reb, I'll definitely let you know if I end up coming over for it. I might contact the tournament organisers and see if there is any chance of being able to use a table at MSAC the day before the tournament (if that is a convenient venue for you?).

Despite Carbonman's somewhat truthful, but somewhat exaggerated description of catching a train to Dandenong :lol: , it'd be great for you to come to Dandy for a hit Dan. If you did get a train I'd pick you up, but a car would keep you off the train. I can and have been into MSAC before, but its expensive to play there (table fees ~$15/hr pp, parking fees ~$6-10, etc.) and possibly not available around a tourney anyway. Dandy on the other hand is going to cost a maximum of $3.50 for a table for hours and no parking fee lol (and possibly nothing depending on the "when"). Sunday arvo's are good. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 18:29 
Super User

I will see what it will take to get down to Dandenong, if it's not too much trouble I would be keen for a hit on the Saturday. :up: I don't like my chances of getting a practice table at MSAC while the Junior tournament is happening.

*EDIT* Hmmm... after further research it looks like it would take over an hour by public transport, and a hire car for the 4 days isn't going to be good value. Might not be able to make it down to Dandenong, unless someone wants to pick me up from the hotel ;) :rofl:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 08:52 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Dan2105 wrote:
Thanks for the info carbonman, I'll see what I can do for transport while I'm over there and try to get around to one of the clubs. :up:

Just another general question, I have noticed that TTV tournaments also have some different division based events, any ideas how this is worked out for interstate players who obviously don't have a TTV ranking?

The best place for you to stay would be the Park View Hotel, it's within walking distance of the table tennis (you just need to walk across the park) and there's other hotels a similar distance from the stadium. If you stay in the city you can find a cheaper hotel but with the $18? Taxi to and from the Stadium you end up back at the same price. The only advantage of staying in the city then is you can eat in the city at night which gives you a better choice of food.

The Croydon tournament for you is probably a better deal for you, the same players will be there and afaik it's a bigger tournament. With your rating you will get a Victorian rating after you have won 4 and lost 4 games in Victoria or against Victorian players, you will 100% already have a Victorian rating on record from your Junior days so you can just call then give your name and ask how many points you are on and you will know what divisions you can enter. I'd guess if you got into the lower end of the South Australian A team then you should have been in Div 2 and you will rated somewhere there. Any points you earn or loose now will adjust your rating that's on record and it wont take long to adjust to your current standard, if you show to be playing far away from your rating in either direction they might manually adjust it after the the tournament/s

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 17:18 
Super User

Thanks for the extra info foam, if I go I will probably be staying at the Citigate Albert Park Hotel, which is also within walking distance, and has partnership with the MSAC so there is a 15% discount :up:

The main reason I have chosen the Easter Classic tournament over any of the others in Melbourne is that it's on a long weekend, so I can fill the other 3 days with touristy stuff and have a bit of a holiday at the same time. More justifiable then going over for only the TT tournament. I'm not too concerned about my TTV rating except for knowing which events I can enter. Which seems most likely to be Div 1 and 2 events, although I am still waiting on a reply email from Anne at TTV to get more confirmation on details.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 12:03 
Super User

It's definite, I'll be coming to Melbourne from the 6th until the 10th of April and competing in the Easter Classic. I have just booked flights and accommodation. Should be a good holiday as well as some good Table Tennis :up:

I am still enquiring about getting a table at MSAC on Saturday evening, I am happy to pay for a couple hours of hire, if anyone is keen to come down for a hit (if I can hire a table). Otherwise if someone wants to pick me up from the hotel, I'll come along to one of the clubs for a hit, the hotel is right on Albert Park. I have investigated public transport and it seems like too much hassle, would take over an hour each way, and I wont have a hire car either.

I am still looking for doubles partners as well for as many events as possible :up:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 13:12 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

if you want drop me a pm the week before the tourney. i should/might be able to organise to get you to coburg either on the friday night or the saturday arvo. its a strong club and you would get a very good hit there.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 13:52 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

i'm keen, if i can get time off work and a cheap place to stay! ;)

i'll know soon whether im gonna come down or not. would be great to have a good group of OOAKers in one place.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 14:22 
Super User

carbonman wrote:
if you want drop me a pm the week before the tourney. i should/might be able to organise to get you to coburg either on the friday night or the saturday arvo. its a strong club and you would get a very good hit there.

Thanks mate, that would be great. It might be good to go down on Friday night and then use Saturday as a rest day before the tournament :up:

i'm keen, if i can get time off work and a cheap place to stay! ;)

i'll know soon whether im gonna come down or not. would be great to have a good group of OOAKers in one place.

Would be good to get more players down for it, let me know if you still need a doubles partner :up:

Also, might be a bit of a long shot, but if anyone in Melbourne is going to be playing or just watching and can bring down a video camera, I would greatly appreciate it if you could get a couple of videos of my games. Otherwise I am relying on video mode on the my point and shoot without a tripod :P

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 10:07 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

about 90% sure i'll be down for this now, flying in thursday evening and out monday night (just doing the finishing touches on organizing it with the lady)

div 1 and open for me! doubles? =)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 10:37 
Super User

I should be playing both Open and Div1 as well, definitely keen for doubles. The more events I can enter, the better :up:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 10:44 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

once entry forms are out i'll look a bit more closely!

Reb, this is a calling out - ENTER! :P if we can do it, so can you.

I'd love to see all of our melbourne fellow members there actually, it'd be fantastic to get a group photo/hitup etc.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 10:57 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
once entry forms are out i'll look a bit more closely!

Reb, this is a calling out - ENTER! :P if we can do it, so can you.

I'd love to see all of our melbourne fellow members there actually, it'd be fantastic to get a group photo/hitup etc.

Actually I can't. I am tied up at Easter on the Saturday and Sunday.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.