OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 19:35 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

http://ottf.org/OOQT/MenuOOQT.htm

Li Chung Li is unbeaten with 3 from 3 so far, While the Aussie men are looking good so far

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 08:24 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I can tell you there was drama before the first ball was hit, with around 40% of bats tested failing the VOC test. Someone got a sheet of Tenergy out of the packet and that too was tested as well over. The Odd (*) email was sent, the referee went home to get some of his bats to test, leaving the deputy referee in charge during the 1st few matches, which were allowed to be played with bats that had seemingly failed the VOC test. Eventually the device was somehow recalibrated, and bats retested, and to my knowledge, none failed after that.

I umpired Li Chung Li v Peri Campbell-Innes. Li was just too strong, winning 4-1.

There is one older guy from Fiji (Wang Qi), though apparently originally from China many years ago. He played a pips blocking / chopping game that got a few points from the younger double inverted set before they cottoned on to it and overran him.

(*) Gustaffsen (sp) I believe.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 08:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the update Retriever! :up: :up: :up:

"somehow recalibrated" does not sound very encouraging :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: I would love to hear what they actually did...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 13:59 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

haggisv wrote:
Thanks for the update Retriever! :up: :up: :up:

"somehow recalibrated" does not sound very encouraging :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: I would love to hear what they actually did...

let the Aussies play lol
! kiwi tests at 1.1,next two Aussies 10 ummm lol

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 06:49 

Apparently the machines were "fresh from the manufaturer in Barcelona. There was something wrong with the filter, apparently.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 07:00 

The matches went over time - Vivian Tan v Li Chun Li went to 7 and deuce. Vivian had a few chances to win, but didn't. Jian Fang Lay did manage to beat Li Chun Li - Li was tired from the looks of things. The final match last night finished after 10pm, then the men's draw for today was conducted.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 08:13 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Retriever wrote:
The matches went over time - Vivian Tan v Li Chun Li went to 7 and deuce. Vivian had a few chances to win, but didn't. Jian Fang Lay did manage to beat Li Chun Li - Li was tired from the looks of things. The final match last night finished after 10pm, then the men's draw for today was conducted.

William seemed a step above the other competitors, Li Chung li started training 6 months ago and has not entered any competitions for several years, its amazing that NZ evens lets her trial for this event as I would have thought we would have some kind of criteria i'e internal trials/ played in the Nationals etc etc.
She was a superstar and knows how to win , including being Commonwealth champ and 3rd in a World Cup, its also a pity her Sister Karen Li was injured as she has been the top player in Oceania for the last few years, and we have some other Women players who would have been competitive at this level but choose not to go for their own reasons.

Even for our Men's team we tend to have some players not in the top 10 ranked in our Country but the Aussies always can get 8 out of 10 top ranked players to their trial

Well good luck to Li Chung Li and I hope her stamina lasts this next round, it is really quite amazing what she is doing

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 07:00 

Again the matches went past 10 pm last night. Li Chun Li won out, after being faulted for a serve then a yellow card for time wasting. Justin Han also won through, after being yellow, then yellow redded (by someone known to this forum :) ) for time wasting in his semifinal. He beat Philip Xiao in the final who he lost to 4 straight in the roundrobins a day or 2 ago.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 07:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I don't have a problem with players being given yellow/red cards for time wasting... it's a pretty easy rule to follow and if you still don't get it after the first warning, you've only got yourself to blame.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 10:55 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I don't like this Swiss system, I like the big round robin and the first 3 qualify, these extra rounds can really benefit some players who have been loosing all week but manage to come right the 3rd round Robin

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 11:22 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 96211.3379

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 13:27 
Stir Crazy

rodderz wrote:
I don't like this Swiss system, I like the big round robin and the first 3 qualify, these extra rounds can really benefit some players who have been loosing all week but manage to come right the 3rd round Robin

I must admit I don't understand the system. On the men's side, I recognise that only 2 Australians can qualify, but why bother with stage 3? We already know who the best non-Australian is: Phillip Xiao was the top non-Australian at the end of the stage 1 groups, the stage playoffs, and stage 2. And why continue to include Richel Sen and Yoshua Shing? Sen is win-less after all three rounds so far, and Shing's only victory was over Sen.

On the women's side, stage 3 has some meaning, although it really only seems to be between Vivien Tan and Peri Campbell-Innes (Tan has the better overall record, but they are 1-1 head to head). But why continue to include Anolyn Lulu when she has played 6 times, lost 6 times, for a 24-0 record?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 07:26 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Tassie52 wrote:
rodderz wrote:

I must admit I don't understand the system. On the men's side, I recognise that only 2 Australians can qualify, but why bother with stage 3? We already know who the best non-Australian is: Phillip Xiao was the top non-Australian at the end of the stage 1 groups, the stage playoffs, and stage 2. And why continue to include Richel Sen and Yoshua Shing? Sen is win-less after all three rounds so far, and Shing's only victory was over Sen.

On the women's side, stage 3 has some meaning, although it really only seems to be between Vivien Tan and Peri Campbell-Innes (Tan has the better overall record, but they are 1-1 head to head). But why continue to include Anolyn Lulu when she has played 6 times, lost 6 times, for a 24-0 record?

yes only two from any one Country can go thru, so why can the other two Aussies continue?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 12:21 

On the Women's side, Jian Fang Lay (Aus) & Li Chunli (NZ) were the 1st 2 qualifiers. This left a spot that could be claimed by any of the 3 remaining Australians: Miao Miao, Vivian Tan & Peri Campbell-Innes. It was apparently claimed by Miao Miao (I had to leave before the evening session started - this thing called Real Life intervened).

On the Men's side, if what the NZ guy told me was true, I did not see the point of the NZ guys continuing in Stage 3. This would have left Wang Qi (Fij), Yoshua Shing (Van) & Richel Sen (Fij) to fight it out. As it is, if the NZOC does not endorse Philip Xiao to go, then the highest ranking competitor not from Australia or NZ from Stage 1 (the roundrobins plus crossover matches) would qualify, again assuming their country's OC endorses him.