OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 20:16 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

carbonman wrote:
Sounds like you played off your face Foam - well done. I look forward to your full report.

How did you go against the 1500 player in the RR?

Did you and Reb re-enact your match for the cameras?

I lost to the 1500 player in 4 but interstingly when I put in a full offensive game I was able to punish him , was 10-4 up then went for a couple stupid glory shot of his serve but close it out 11-6, unfourtently I can't play at full throttle every game or I overheat :)

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 20:45 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I should mention the match against reb was the most difficult or equal most to anything I played in div3 or even in div2. He's mate played well too and I'm sure beat a couple 1200 players or better

Last edited by foam on 15 Apr 2012, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 21:03 

We think Najay got the full match against Oscar on his video set up on a tripod, we hope anyway; we had difficulties seeing if it played back. Oskar's brother also took short video snippets which I am more confident of. There definitely wasn't video of the Foam vs Reb match. I don't know if there was any other video taken.

Style: FH counterhitter, BH disruptor

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 21:03 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

It sounds like you all had fun which is why you were there, great effort everyone

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 21:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Wow Foam you had an amazing day! Just thank me for not cutting you short in div 3 then :lol: Even if you did have to resort to "under-handed" means to get over me! :P

Here's my report of the day:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19485

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 03:43 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

So I'm back home, well got home about about 1:30am, pea soup thick fog for about 300km of the way home too, fun times. Then watched the F1 which I recorded :D. Go Mercedes !). Now I'm here to find look up who I beat and how many points my rating goes up.

It was good to meet Mallus and the mad professor Oskar and friend. They are actually pretty good players, Oskar almost caused a giant upset in the DIV THREE., almost got the #1 seed :)

I'll just type a bit about Div 2 for the old illusive coach Carbonman first. I'm not one for remembering game scores or which ones I won, the games per match is about as detailed as my brain goes unless they were exceptional. So first up I played JL, I won that in 3 straight I think, maybe 4 but in any case it was a very easy match, he plays medium pips with sponge so that was nothing too tricky.

Then I played PB, which I won in 3 after seeing that his forehand was weak during the o40s, after that I knew if I went FH to FH with him I should win, it was still a bit tight but I won that in 3 straight without too much of a massive effort.

Then I played DH, won that one easily in 3 so didn't have to get out of low gear there either, then played a guy DS, quite a funny guy. He was getting really angry with himself but I was on such a good form by then that I was just playing with him, then I decided I'd put in a full pace game and won that 11-0 just to show I was cruising and see how angry he got... (turned out pretty angry :P), then another cruiser game to win that match, surprised I could take it so easy against a near 1300 point player but I was playing really well. I was having a run there for a while where I was beating 1200-1350 players one after the other like I was laying around having a picnic, unbelievable considering that's usually a big effort for me to beat those guys.

In the final I played a guy JK I beleive, I was starting to cramp up then, pretty hard to play a loose grip when your hand is cramped onto the handle lol, it was the last game of the day and he gave me a flogging in the first game, somewhere along the line I realised he loved balls coming onto him fast so I stalled them up a bit and he started missing, plus I started to go a bit harder at him and got one game off him but after that I really just wasn't at his level either ever or at least at that time of the day, probably ever :) he was pretty good, very aggressive, there's no way I was going to win that match. That was my EIGHTH match back to back with no break :rofl: that's what you get for making the final is two divisions at once.

In the Div 1, that came around in the middle of the day somewhere, I played DP but I didn't know who he was or that he was the #2 seed, I actually thought it was a Div 2 match, anyway I cruised along, pretty tight games but he seemed a little better than me, then I put one game in full effort and won that ok, but overall it was going to take too much out of me to attempt to win that match so I gave it a miss, after the match someone told me he's one of the better div1 players and that I was still in div 2 :0 so that was a relief.

In Div3, I always tell myself I wont enter Div3 but I seem to always end up entering it, it's really no point for me because I can't win worth of nothing points by playing it but because I drive so far to play I feel like I don't want to go all that way to only play potentially a couple of matches in the higher divisions. At the end of last year I was tending to play at near 1300 level and competitive with the better Div2 players and my rating was starting to spike but dragging behind where I was really at a bit, just a time lag thing.. but it was just a mental problem or lack of confidence that keeps me entering Div3. Now I can only play Div3 in the next tournament before the new ratings list and after than I'll be out of it anyway so that will be the end of that problem.

Anyway the final of Div 3 was close in 5 but I had enough spare and only had slight cramp in my feet at that stage so I was ok to stay in front when I really needed to and got that one, during the end of the day I played 8 matches back to back, for a guy that hasn't played much since last year and not in the last 4 weeks it was a bit of a workout but I felt actually fitter than I was at the end of last year, probably because I've been doing a like of cycling.

Carbonman one of the finals between BB and BP was on when I left, BP was up 5-2? or 5-3 in the 5th not sure if it was 040 or 050.

I feel like with my game I'm on the cusp of being able to compete and win matches in the o40 open section. Pity I lost that first match with PB in the morning because that would have been worth 50 rating points to me, which would have been a huge gain.

When I first started playing tournaments last year, I'd only come from a small club of weak players, I was the strongest of them but I'd never been pushed so the idea with the tournaments is to just see if I could have been a good player had I had a bit more of a chance, if I'd been in the city etc.
I basically had no backhand and no serve apart from very basic backspin, sidespin serves, no pendulums or anything like that. I get a lot of good advice off the better players all the time, so whenever they say something to me I play x 10 attention because it's always something important. The backhands still a failure, or more a work in progress, the serves.. well I'm winning a lot of points on serve against all the Div 1 players so that's working ok. Another place I've improved a lot is learning how important variation of pace is, which I'm getting pretty good at now, it seems very disturbing to the other player. My forehand is as strong as any of the Vet players, much stronger than most so that's where I win most of my rallies, I was not holding back waiting for the perfect ball much today and that I think was the main reason I won so many big (for me) matches today. The thing I need to continue to work on to make the jump from Div 2 to 1 is going to be the quality of my backhand and especially a more aggressive return of serve, if I can get those down I'll make it to Div1... one day. I've set my goal at 100 points per year, which I made last year and again this year already, I've got the chance to jump 200 this year but we will see how that turns out.

That reminds me, no one was able to beat me in 3 none of the Div1 players etc so for a (ex) Div 3 player that was doing ok.

Of all my memorable moments today the best was when I was playing a match and BB was watching, I don't know him really yet but he's a bit of a legendary table tennis hero. I saw an interview with him where he was saying he wished he could still hit real big forehands like he could when he was a bit younger. Since I have a big forehand, I was remembering this during the match while he was watching and it inspired me to hit some absolute rockets, big big time rallys and then just drilled the ball straight through the guy, I probably have never had my forehand going with so much power as I did today actually. Anyway I turned around and the big man himself gave me a grin of approval :up:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 08:17 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Foam you must be reasonably fit to successfully get through so many matches. With your workload I reckon I would have collapsed well before the end of the day.

JK who you played in the final of division 2 is objectively a pretty solid division 1 player. He has good quality serves and loops but is coming back after a long break and is extremely overweight. Anyway, its no shame to lose to him.

Any idea how Jeff Dever went on the day?

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 08:35 

Foam, coming from a small club with weaker players how have you gotten enough practice to improve so much?

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 09:29 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Like Foam, I'm hopeless at remembering scores. For me it's just a general haze from 'that was a great set' to 'what the hell just happened'. So, disclaimer aside, any reports I give will be generalised.

First off, it was great to meet the very friendly foam, reborn and najay. I was informed of other OOAK members, like Superchop, but, at this stage, I didn't make contact with them.

I got to umpire the doubles match between foam and his partner and Reborn and his partner, which was just great to watch. It could have gone either way and it just proves how much of a mental game this sport of ours is. I won't give any report of this match because I'll leave it to the competitors, but I was honoured to watch and umpire from such close quarters.

I also got partial umpiring duties for the do-or-die Reborn v Foam match at it was simply fantastic to watch. On many levels, it was the best TT I've seen in a long time. Just the look of steely determination on both their faces was worth the price of admission! Again, this game is no doubt reported somewhere else by the competitors.

As for me, well, it was a fantastic experience. I had some great victories and some disappointing loses. Although I got into the Div 5 final against Najay, my best game was against Croydon's own Bristowe in Div 3. I've never played anyone like him before. His serves were simply astounding, but I worked them out fairly quickly. I never expected to do well against him, but I managed to take him to 5 sets, losing with a bundle of nerves at the end 11-5. After the match he commented on my ability and invited me to play in the Croydon Masters Open. He also said, because I was vocalising some early doubts, that I shouldn't underestimate myself. This was a much needed advice. Thanks, Greg!

I think one of things I'll take away from the Vets is a better understanding of where I sit amongst the Vic players. At this stage, I reckon I'm proably about a solid Div 4 player - as long as the players are faithfully ranked in that division. I look forward to many more Vets and the chance to meet up with Reborn and Foam and Najay again in the not too distant future.

@ Foam - mad professor? I like it. ;) :D :angel:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 09:39 

Oskar, an amazing achievement to do so well against a player rated above 1000 in your very first tournament. A few more tournaments and I'm sure you will be competing at a solid Div 3 level. Next time we should have fewer nerves and more pennant victories under our belt and do better.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 09:52 

Malleus wrote:
Oskar, an amazing achievement to do so well against a player rated above 1000 in your very first tournament. A few more tournaments and I'm sure you will be competing at a solid Div 3 level. Next time we should have fewer nerves and more pennant victories under our belt and do better.

+1

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 12:31 

Just to get another post in :P , let me say that in my game against GB there was a hilarious moment when one of my returns was really short and he was forced to toss his bat at the ball. Luckily he missed, but his bat landed on my side of the table. I'm pretty sure that even if he had managed to strike the ball and 'return it' like that it wouldn't have been legal. Reborn, your judgment??? :!:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 13:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar wrote:
Just to get another post in :P , let me say that in my game against GB there was a hilarious moment when one of my returns was really short and he was forced to toss his bat at the ball. Luckily he missed, but his bat landed on my side of the table. I'm pretty sure that even if he had managed to strike the ball and 'return it' like that it wouldn't have been legal. Reborn, your judgment??? :!:

Correct Oskar. Rules say you must have bat in hand when striking the ball for it to be legal.

Oskar I have not seen GB play, but to take 2 sets off him is truly awesome for your first outing. Now given I don't know his game at all, but know his level, I have to ask what happened in the match with Najay. You took one set 11-9, lost 2 sets by 2 points and then lost the last one 11-5. How did the match go? Can you give a blow-by-blow (or anything close) description? I am pretty amazed by all of this knowing the division standard you play at Ballarat. I don't think it will be long until you make their div 2 and even div 1 by the sounds of all that! :up: Such a shame we didn't get a hit, but yes I will have to try and make it up there for a game. And I am a bit surprised you didn't take Menno a lot further knowing how you did with these other guys. He was my easiest match of the day. If you had beaten him, you and I would actually have played! :o :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 13:17 

Reb, if Najay's video turned out alright, badger him to post it and we can all see the match blow by blow! There were some excellent rallies in it. I was umping and made an effort to point the scoreboard a little towards the camera.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 13:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Malleus wrote:
Reb, if Najay's video turned out alright, badger him to post it and we can all see the match blow by blow! There were some excellent rallies in it. I was umping and made an effort to point the scoreboard a little towards the camera.

I should see him tonight. Whether he will want vid of himself up on the net is another question. I'll try to get a copy to see for myself, but if I do, would only post it with both participants permission.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next