OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 05:19 

I want to know hot to get ready for a tournament. My tournament is next week. Please answer :)

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 23:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Some things depend on what level of tournament it is, what country it is in and what umpires you have (as to how strict it is to the rules) and other things like what the facilities are like, how many players, what level of player you are amongst the other players, etc.

There are however some general things to pay attention to:

1. Know the time the tournament starts and how to get to the venue on time (or a little early)

2. Prepare your equipment well in the day or 2 before so that you ensure you have everything you need (make a checklist). Make sure your equipment is legal and you have backups of things, especially your bat in case you break it or it gets ruled illegal for some reason. Also work out what clothing you'll need for the conditions as well as towels and other stuff - cremes for injuries, etc. And have a bag which will fit everything in it.

3. Prepare your food and hydration before the day. This means either having everything you need to keep yourself fed and hydrated on the day, or knowing you can buy what you need at the venue. Always good to have some fruit like bananas with you though and possibly some kind of energy bar. And don't rely just on the venue in case they have short supply of something.

4. Get enough practice in to feel comfortable you can perform at somewhere near your best on the day.

5. Get well rested in the days leading up to the tournament, and especially the night before. But if you're nervous the night before you may not sleep as well, so make sure you sleep well in preceding days.

6. Read all the tournament rules and requirements to ensure you meet them all.

7. Get ready to have fun! If its your first tournament be prepared to lose and not be upset, and be happy if you do better than expected, but don't be down if you don't as there will be more opportunities. And being nervous and applying self pressure only makes you play worse usually anyway. Try to meet as many people as you can at the tournament too. It builds contacts and make the whole event more enjoyable, as well as giving you people to see again in the same circles in the future.

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten, which someone else can add in for you too. But this is a good start. Tell us something more about yourself and your circumstances will help us help you.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 07:14 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Great suggestions by Reb. On his first point, being there on time, I'd say you should get there at least 45 minutes before the start of your first event, if not earlier. I typically get to a venue at least an hour early. That way I don't feel rushed to get dressed, say hello to the friends that I know, and grab a table and someone to warm up with. I cannot stress enough how important a proper warm-up is.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 11:19 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Really sound advice, Reborn.

dwruck wrote:
Great suggestions by Reb. On his first point, being there on time, I'd say you should get there at least 45 minutes before the start of your first event, if not earlier. I typically get to a venue at least an hour early. That way I don't feel rushed to get dressed, say hello to the friends that I know, and grab a table and someone to warm up with. I cannot stress enough how important a proper warm-up is.

But maybe you need to revisit this piece of advice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 12:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar wrote:
Really sound advice, Reborn.

dwruck wrote:

But maybe you need to revisit this piece of advice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I can't help if my driver gets lost! :P :lol: My advice was based upon past experience (very recent at that!! ;) )

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 12:13 

Hmmm, I thought the passenger was responsible for navigation. At least, that's always my excuse when I'm driving and getting lost! :P :lol:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 17:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar wrote:
Hmmm, I thought the passenger was responsible for navigation. At least, that's always my excuse when I'm driving and getting lost! :P :lol:

Not in this day and age where GPS does the navigation! Come into this century mate! :P :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 07:47 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Not in this day and age where GPS does the navigation! Come into this century mate! :P :lol:

Not if this miracle technology of yours leads you to the house of a meth-dealer! :whew: :lol: