OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ballarat Vets
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 16:22 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

:up: http://www.insports.com.au/ttv/upload/pages/BallaratVeterans.pdf :up:

Will be good to see the Ballarat practice boys again :rock:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Ballarat Vets
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 16:59 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Thanks foam. My 2 George friends really enjoyed Croydon and are keen to go to Ballarat (as is an enthusiastic pupil I have). If I get a leave pass I look forward to being there. Will Ed and the Rebster be making the trek?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 18:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yes I think they are going!, they are unsure on Mornington from what I remember, pretty sure they are all set for Ballarat. I'm considering playing doubles, just thinking it over for a few days first. Weighing up how much it will cost me in singles performance arriving earlier etc. I'm also weighing up the problem I have re blades and rubbers versus playing normally and getting more points so I can get a seeding next year. I got a slower blade a couple of days ago, sort of ALL round in speed but a large (defenders blade) it's a bit stiffer and slower than the blade I've used for the last couple of years and it's improved my short game attack BUT it's too large and heavy to use heavy inverteds both side and I'm not yet skillfull enough with any kind of pips to increase my rating with them.. Where with inverted I can still easily gain another 100 points as I am with my current blade and rubbers. I guess other people have gone through the same trauma with a large equipment change, it's just something I've never dealt with before ;(. Right now I feel LP is not the right choice for me because it doesn't make enough spin in the short game and really I'm more of a fisher than a chopper and I'm not sure what kind of rubber one should optimally go fishing with :rofl:

On the other hand I only go fishing when it's a big fish! but those are the ones I want to catch lol

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 20:35 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Good news that Reb and Ed are going.

Maybe defer your equipment experimentation until the end of the season. After that you have quite a few months in which to go silly. :) You probably know this but make sure your blade doesn't get too slow - there are limits! Some of those defensive blades need a rocket-launcher just to get the ball over the net.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 20:48 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

haha yes perhaps I'll wait till after Ballarat, it's not that long to wait. The blade still has more than enough speed, so no problem there and I'm still at about as slow as you can go on rubber (same one as usual)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 20:52 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I just checked the entry form for mornington vets. The 40s and 50s singles start at 9am. Grrrrrrr. Due to this I doubt I will be going.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 08:23 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I wont be going to Mornington either, too close to a holiday and also the nationals (assuming I go)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 08:55 

Mornington have done that for the last few years carbonman..
When I had a grizzle about it, they claimed it helped the whole day flow better and finish earlier!! So I didn't go in 2010, but I did decide to go last year and Reb & I played the div 3 final about the same time the local roosters were brushing their teeth(!) and warming up the ol' vocal cords! So, it wasn't exactly an early finish!
Add almost 3 hours each way travelling time for me.. and the fact that it's outside the state selection period, and I think I might stay home again this year too...

It's about a month before the Nationals foam.. Sunbury is only about 2 weeks before, you playing that one?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 09:43 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Don't think I'll play either of those especailly if I do well in Ballarat. I really liked playing in Mornington, it's a nice setup but playing that tournament is a big cost for me in money / time and I can do the same at almost zero cost in Ballarat which is an even better Stadium, maybe the best of all.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 10:18 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

lol blue. Given that at Croydon it took me about 3 hours to get going the thought of playing a tough match at 9AM is scary. Spring chickens like you, foam and Reb might be able to fire up that early but old folk like me need a good 20 minute stretching just to be able to get out of the car! Stretching plus a warm up hit takes at least an hour. Combine that with the drive there and I would need to be up before the roosters have gone to bed. :)

To me, the idea of playing all of the doubles first is the most sensible programming option. It allows players time to get into their stride and if they happen to lose a doubles it's no big deal.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 16:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
As much as I'd like to go to Ballarat, I doubt I'll be there. As far as Mornington goes, while I like the venue, one of my main reasons for going to tourney's is to catch up with my forum friends...if most won't be there, not much point in me going (except perhaps to boost my rating :P :lol: ). I did some damage to my already injured shoulder at Croydon and then at pennant the night after, so TT and me might have to soon part company if things don't improve. Playing tonight and going to have to be very conscious of not reaching to my FH side! :headbang:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 17:31 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Sorry to hear about your shoulder Reb. Is it a chronic condition or will it heal with time and treatment? I hope you didn't re-injure it playing me. :( Are you still able to do BH blocks from the FH side ok? Let us know how you pull up after tonight.

I might be a doubtful starter at Ballarat myself. I recently learnt that my son gets back from 2 weeks of camp the weekend of the tourney and it might be best if I stayed home and did the family thing. I did however get the green light for the Australian Vets so that looks promising. Hopefully foam, blue, George M, Lawrence, Jeff D etc are all going - it would make for a fun week.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 23:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Actually Carbonman I think it was the guy after you I hurt it worst with...although I'm sure there was a twinge trying to reach those wicked loops of yours before I realised it was futile and gave up trying ;) I actually pulled a muscle under the armpit on Monday, which made it worse. A few days rest and some deep heat though and I was back at it tonight...albeit gingerly. My new Thursday partner/teammate and I took a 5-0 win tonight and I managed to do no more damage. So perhaps I can turn it around if I keep this up! I also went back to the Gergely and Pogo tonight...happy to post some wins with that setup again, even if I did drop a masters grade to do it :lol: (my partner wasn't qualified for the grade I played last 2 years and I got hammered last season, so it suited well :rofl: ).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 06:41 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Glad to read it's only a pulled muscle Reb. The way you worded your previous post it sounded like it was so bad you were going to have to give up altogether and put the Gergelys in the rack! ;( Well done on winning your match.

When your arm gets better maybe give that change in contact point on your FH a try. It would mean that you would get more power (as well as greater control/consistency) from less effort and maybe it would prevent a similar injury in the future. It's worth a go. :)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 13:38 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Just getting over a flu. Last weeks pennant was a real trial, but I still managed to win every game. I'm definitely looking forward to the Ballarat Vets. I do think it's strange that they haven't included a Div 5 for up-and-coming players. It doesn't bother me, of course, now that I'm fighting to graduate from Div 4. I hope I enjoy a home ground advantage!

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear