OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Badger Open 2012
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 22:41 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
The semifinal match that Eugene Wang won was amazing. He was up against an incredible chopper and won 4-3. It was one of the best matches I've ever witnessed in person. This chopper was amazing, consistent, getting back everything that Wang could throw at him, and he could attack anything weak.

I got out of my round robin in 2 events, but it was still a mixed day. Lost two more 3-2 matches, the story of my year. One was to a kid rated just 1705. I easily won the first two games, then ran into all kinds of bad luck. Third game, he got 2 nets and an edge to beat me 11-9. Fourth game, two edges and a net to beat me 11-8. Then to cap it all off, in the fifth, two more nets and an edge to win 11-9. That stunk. But I still got out of the round robin. In the quarterfinals of U-1900 I got down 2-0, was down 9-6 in the third and came back to win 11-9. Won the fourth 11-5. Then I missed a shot or two early in , the fifth and got tentative and lost. This was an important learning point for me. After getting over my anger at myself for losing yet another fifth game, I realized that I was playing "not to lose" instead of playing to win. I have been playing far too conservatively, allowing lower rated players to stay in matches against me, and keeping me from winning against better players. So, the rest of the day I decided to try to attack more and rely less on opponents' mistakes, and it helped a lot. In the U-2000 I won my round robin by beating a guy in the mid-1800s, 3-1. He had short pips and was very consistent, but keeping him on the defensive was the key for me. In U-2300 I beat a guy who was just under 1900, 3-0. He struggled with my pips, and I stayed aggressive in looking to attack off his weak balls to win easily, 11-3, 11-6, 11-7. The first two games I got off to leads of 8-0 and 6-0.

So, hopefully today I can get back more of the points that I lost due to those tough losses. Got Over-40, where the top seed in my group is just over 2000. I'm hoping to pull off an upset there and advance. Also got U-2200, with a 2100 player, a guy rated around 2080 and another 1800 level long pips player who I've played before. Lots of good opportunities for me today.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 10:25 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I'm now totally exhausted. 17 matches in 5 events over 2 days. My legs are dead.

Tabesamis, I'm sorry that we didn't get to hit. I looked for you today but didn't see you. I hope that you did well.

Had more rough luck in a match today. In my Over-40 group I had a very competitive match with a guy rated around 2030. I was down 2-1, but started off fast with a 2-0 lead in the fourth. Then, the avalanche of bad luck came. Over the next 10 points of the game, he got 3 points of nets and 1 point off an edge ball. I feel like if I'd gotten to the fifth game that I would have won. Very disappointing to get screwed like that, yet again.

In U-2200, had a really good match with a guy rated 2080. I dropped off the table and chopped, which I don't normally do, and it worked really well. I lost a close 3-2 match (yes, also the story of my year) but I don't feel bad about this one. Lost a couple of other matches to good players.

So, overall, after a disappointing start on Saturday morning (with bad luck and some tentative play) I turned it around the rest of the weekend. Although I will continue to lose rating points (I think I'll drop down to just above 1800, after being in the 1950s at the start of the year) I feel like I learned a lot this weekend. I'm really, really close to a break through, so the loss in rating points will get turned around. I'm not worried about that. I feel like I'll be underrated heading into my next tournaments, which will be a fun position to be in. Got two in October and one in November, plenty of chances to turn my year around.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 12:08 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Hi dwruck,

I used to know someone who thought that they were the loser on nets & edges every time. They kept careful note of every net & edge that went against them. They also made the distinction as to whether the net or edge was playable or not, a sometimes nebulous concept. I am not so sure about whether they also kept track of nets & edges that were in their favour. They were also convinced that they were always going to be on the losing side of these lucky shots as if there were some sort of conspiracy against them. This made for a sad person in my opinion.

I am the opposite. If I get a net or edge (or both or even in off the netpost !) I acknowledge the luck that was involved and move on. If the opponent gets a net or edge (or both) I smile and move on. I don't count nets or edges either for or against me, but seem to get more than my fair share, according to my opponents.

It does appear that certain styles or shots favour getting nets. but as far as I can tell, this is all part of the rich and glorious game that is table tennis.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 19:47 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I did have one match early in the tournament where I must have gotten about 6 of them over 3 games, but it was against a player that I was rated well above. The rest of the weekend, not many at all, and I don't think more than 1 in any game. These games where opponents get 3 or 4 are just crazy. The 11 point game makes them more damaging than the 21 point game.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 02:13 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Ok. So now I'm back I'll post my accounts of the badger open. First I never actually drew Jim or Doug in a match. Also the days were packed so I only got to hit with Jim for a total of 30 mins and never got to hit with Doug so no footage there.
I played the u1800, u2000, u2200 and u2300.

In the under 2200 and under 2300 I got blasted and went a miserable 0-6. I did manage to win a game off of 4 out of the 6 opponents. 1 game against a 2180ish consistency looper was the highlight, and my other games I feel were after the opponent went up 2-0 and fell asleep.

The players who I had a chance beating were both mid 1900 players. Both played dtecs ox. 1 was a twiddler with a massive forehand loop, and the other a penhold player who served with inverted with massive sidespin, who blocked and hit quite effectively. Against both I found my long pips to be a liability. .... oh yeah I played my long pips setup to give a final hurrah to the year (and probably to long pips when playing anyone above 1700).

Other than that I went 2-1 in the under 2000 where there was a 3 way tie to move on that resulted in counting points because the games were even. I lost that tie breaker by only a few points which means had I won one more game against the mid 1900 looper, or beat the player who upset him 3-0 instead of 3-1 I would have moved on.

In the under 1800 I went 3-1 winning my group easily, and losing 3-1 to a 1740 10 year old close to the table looper hitter who was coached by Dan Seemiller Jr., and totally understood pips and played to my elbow very well, and also blocked my loops pretty easily. Based on playing him I expect him to get a 200-300 pt rating adjustment after this tournament.

Overall I won all the games I was supposed to and lost all the games I was supposed to so I don't see a big rating drop, and possibly a small gain.

I think that my understanding of the long pips game after playing 2 years with it is great but I cannot execute the shots when it counts so I'm thinking of removing 1 variable from my game, and simplifying back down to inverted for good.
I have a new kid coming, and two masters degrees that I'm working on plus work, and a two year old...
Long pips take time and dedication and I don't see myself having either in the near future so I will just play for the love of the game for the next year and play all the long pips short pips, and anti players I can with my inverted setup.

The Badger open was an awakening to the limits of my game, but also how close I can be to upping my level if I just play more consistent, and my backhand is more consistent with inverted still after two years.
I had a great time and the players there were some of the coolest players I have met ever.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 03:33 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Glad you had a good time up there Ted. Doug and Jim are both great guys. It's pretty far for me to drive so I stayed home this time. If you are looking for another great tourney you should think about the one coming up next month in Highland In. Coach Seemiller and his crew run that one. Great time, very good lighting and great people. Hope to cya there.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 03:43 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

Well sounds like the Badger Open was a good test of what type of game you
want to play down the road. Agreed that when playing anything other than inverted
on your blade set-up does take alot more training and playing to really get going.
Im sure that you will become a really good inverted player. you also might surprise yourself as well. My first two years of playing long pip was a challange. I ripped it off and put it back on too many times. I know your going to miss it...In any case
I think that the Badger open helped you to decide yea....or ney.

Take a week off and I will see you at the club

Peace GIG
:rock: :Chop:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 03:50 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I would love to... Unfortunately I am taking a year off from tournaments for now but hope to go to 2013 Ohio teams tournament as my big out of state tournament for next year. It looks as if I will get to play state championships and 1 put of state tournament for the next 3 years. After that of my daughter starts to play I may ramp it up to 3 a year which will include most of the big Midwest tournaments.

I'd love to eventually go back to Baltimore but until I can form a team with my kids and a friend I probably won't have time. I think though 2015 will be a good year with ample time for family training and better career prospects.

Hope to play you one day joe. As well as Doug or jim. Maybe by then my game will be up to the standard that u guys play at.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 05:16 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Joe, I just sent my entry for Highland in today. Going to play U-2100, U-1875 and Over-40. Resisted the urge to also play U-2000 at the end of the day. With the style I'd like to play, I don't think I can pull off four events in one day. Especially when I hope to be able to go deep in U-1875. I'm hoping that Highland will finally be my breakout tournament. I've lost almost 150 rating points this year and I feel like I'm playing as well, or better, than last year.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 05:37 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

dwruck wrote:
The semifinal match that Eugene Wang won was amazing. He was up against an incredible chopper and won 4-3. It was one of the best matches I've ever witnessed in person. This chopper was amazing, consistent, getting back everything that Wang could throw at him, and he could attack anything weak.

Who's the chopper? Is it this one?

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 06:15 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 09:43 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

It wasn't the guy that he played in the finals, it was a chopper that he played in the semifinals. He also played a different chopper in the finals (of which you posted one of the videos), but the chopper in the semifinals was better.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 10:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Seemiller was very close to beating the guy who got to the final.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 21:45 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Yes, I didn't see the match but from what I understand, Seemiller was up 3-1 and lost three straight games. He looked pretty distraught afterwards. I think Seemiller lost to him in the quarterfinal round.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 11:50 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

dwruck wrote:
It wasn't the guy that he played in the finals, it was a chopper that he played in the semifinals. He also played a different chopper in the finals (of which you posted one of the videos), but the chopper in the semifinals was better.

Another chopper? I could think of one more chopper in USA now who could hang with WZ.
This one?

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next