OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: 2013 US OPen
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 03:19 

It has been reported that 2013 US OPen will be in Milwaukee, WI. Yet, i have not been able to ascertain WHEN? does anybody know?

Post subject: Re: 2013 US OPen
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013, 00:30 

hughherold wrote:
It has been reported that 2013 US OPen will be in Milwaukee, WI. Yet, i have not been able to ascertain WHEN? does anybody know?
I heard Las Vegas

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013, 03:04 

"Michael Cavanaugh, the CEO of USA Table Tennis, which is based in Colorado Springs, Colo., announced that DeVos Place in downtown Grand Rapids will host the 2012 and 2014 tournaments, with the 2012 U.S. Open to run July 3-8. The 2013 U.S. Open will be in Milwaukee, Wisc."

this in in excerpt from a mlive.com (michigan live) article by Steve Kaminski way back in March 2011. at which point they had already had dates for the 2012 US OPen. Here we are within (presumably) 6 months of the 2013 event and nothing?

the US National Championships were in Las Vegas in December and i believe are usually there.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013, 05:09 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
The report about it being here in Milwaukee was premature. I believe it was in an article talking about how it was going to be in Grand Rapids in 2012 and 2014, then it listed Milwaukee again in 2013. While I know we (Milwaukee) did bid on it, we are not getting it. From what I hear, it is down to Las Vegas and Fort Lauderdale.

I think it's kinda crappy that it's only about 5 months away and they still don't have this settled. Wish it would have been here, I certainly would have played and volunteered again.

As far as the "when" portion of your question, it will likely be right around the 4th of July time frame again.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013, 06:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
dwruck wrote:
The report about it being here in Milwaukee was premature. I believe it was in an article talking about how it was going to be in Grand Rapids in 2012 and 2014, then it listed Milwaukee again in 2013. While I know we (Milwaukee) did bid on it, we are not getting it. From what I hear, it is down to Las Vegas and Fort Lauderdale.

I think it's kinda crappy that it's only about 5 months away and they still don't have this settled. Wish it would have been here, I certainly would have played and volunteered again.

As far as the "when" portion of your question, it will likely be right around the 4th of July time frame again.

agree with the late decision process.

lets see would I rather have cool breezes off of Lake Michigan at US Open when I went outside or Hot scorching desert winds or humid windy Florida. Decisions, decisions.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013, 07:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

In the end, it comes to down to cost to USATT and attractiveness of the location to foreign players. I know the USATT would like to return to Ft Lauderdale but the cost will be higher than Vegas. From what I heard Vegas is the most likely location, as most Cali players will be there to provide plenty of entries, plus it's a well-known tourist destination for foreigners. Another reason for Vegas is the 2014 US Open is already scheduled for Michigan, so USATT would most likely host the 2013 US Open in West Coast.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013, 07:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It's official: 2013 U.S. Open will be held in Las Vegas.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2013, 08:41 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I just think it's bad for the sport when the two 5 star singles events are both in the same location. You don't get to spread around the opportunity to play or publicity as well. What I think they should do in the long term for both the US Open and Nationals is pick 4 different locations for each (one east, one north, one west and one south) and just rotate. And in each year, the events would be in different regions. So, that way, every other year, you know that one of the major 5 star singles tournaments will be in your region. I understand the reasons why Vegas gets chosen, but I don't think that the value of exposing the sport nationwide has enough value when they're making the decision.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 06:34 

thanks for all the information. very helpful. it is too bad (from my perspective) it is not going to be in Milwaukee. July in Vegas or Ft. Lauderdale is not ideal weather-wise.

About the point of having the Open in a place that is attractive and easy to get to for foreigners, no offense to anybody, but Grand Rapids, MI? Hardly a hotbed of activity nor an very easy place to get to.

Does anybody know where the 5 star North American Cup will be held? it is listed as being on 4/20-4/21 at the USATT tournament listing with a TBD for the site. Again, just over 3 months away and no site yet?