OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 04 May 2024, 03:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 03:04 
Super User

So this Saturday will be my first table tennis tournament. I have read some of the other threads on first tournaments and what to expect, and I have played competitive badminton on and off for 6 years now, so I have an idea of what to expect.

BUT, what am I not already expecting?

any and all suggestions, tips, info is appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 03:41 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
How fit are you?

One of the things I found quite unbelievable is just how tired I was by 1800 after a full day of table tennis.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 04:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Where do you live? What's your approximate age and rating? How many events did you sign up for? How many hours do you train each week?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 05:00 
Super User

I live in the Philadelphia area. I am 24. My approx rating is 1450 (I played a league last weekend and my div was 1300-1550 and I went 4-3 losing all 5 setters.)I signed up for 2 events. The unrated event and the Under 1275 (I originally was signed up for the under 1475 instead, but is at the same time as the unrated event so I had to gear down.) I usually play 3 times a week for a total or 9 hours a week. I also workout/run/play badminton on off days, So my footwork/stamina is pretty good for some one my level. Any other questions?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 06:43 
Super User

dunc wrote:
How fit are you?

One of the things I found quite unbelievable is just how tired I was by 1800 after a full day of table tennis.

This. Couldn't agree more.

I played in my first tournament about a year ago. I was 33 and in good shape. None the less, you're worn down by the time 5 pm rolls around and you've been playing all day. Had a pinch of a headache and my feet were tired.

Just something you have to get used to. But being 24 I suppose you'll probably fair okay. ;)

That and learned in my second tournament just how many different styles there are out there. You might be comfortable playing the people in your club but nothing except for going to tournaments can prepare you for that. Try to make them play your game.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 07:50 
Super User

suds79 wrote:
dunc wrote:
How fit are you?

This. Couldn't agree more.

I played in my first tournament about a year ago. I was 33 and in good shape. None the less, you're worn down by the time 5 pm rolls around and you've been playing all day. Had a pinch of a headache and my feet were tired.

Just something you have to get used to. But being 24 I suppose you'll probably fair okay. ;)

That and learned in my second tournament just how many different styles there are out there. You might be comfortable playing the people in your club but nothing except for going to tournaments can prepare you for that. Try to make them play your game.

I don't have tournament experience but I do have tournament phobia. Playing players that have different styles in round robin scenerios for the greater part of the day... man that's going to be tough no matter what level or rating. And you'll get a rating out of this too. Good luck and bring lots of water and food. Throw in a few shirts too. From my houseleague experience, all I say is call out the scores and write them down on the score sheet.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 08:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

1450 is a pretty big fish for U1275.. you should dominate that one, though with so many underrated juniors skulking around theses days it's hard to be certain.

With youth and conditioning on your side, playing in only two events in one day will be a breeze.. even if you advance out of a group and into the runoffs. Be careful of that Unrated group! Don't assume it will be filled with noobs. Around here it's often filled with sandbaggers and visiting foreign nationals who are only "unrated" because they've never played in a USATT event before. I was once blown out of the water by an unrated player from Hong Kong who was probably 2000+ by USA standards.

Bring and drink plenty of water. Bring lunch and don't forget to eat it as time allows. Don't cool down too much during the inevitable between match waiting periods. Scout out your competitors as they play in other matches so you know what to expect, what to do, and what not to do against them. Never let a game proceed without you or your opponent calling out the score before every serve (I can't tell you how many tournament matches I've seen fall into disarray and dispute because the score wasn't being clearly stated throughout).

If you're going to the event with a higher-rated player or coach, of if you're fortunate enough to meet one there, ask them if they will coach you during your next match. Table side coaching can make a huge difference in the outcome of a match; especially if your opponent has one and you don't. Familiarize yourself with the USATT rules governing how, when, and for how long these coaching intervals can take place.

Good luck, and bring back that U1275 gold!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 11:58 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
try and watch your next opponent when he is playing - what serves, how he attacks/ defends, what weaknesses
don't be intimidated by what guys look like - until they face you, they haven't experienced your game
have water/ towel ready to go to take to the table
drink sips of water, not huge glugs

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 12:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
One thing I often find surprising is that some players who look great warming up are terrible in a game and some who look to be easy victories will beat you 3-0.

Since you have league experience (great) you will do better than most. When someone from my club goes to their first tournament I always warn them that they may not win a single match all day. I think that is more true than people let on.

Bananas are key in the afternoon for us old guys.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 14:06 

nathanso wrote:
Never let a game proceed without you or your opponent calling out the score before every serve (I can't tell you how many tournament matches I've seen fall into disarray and dispute because the score wasn't being clearly stated throughout).

This is interesting!
Do you guys umpire your own tournament matches in the US?? We always have to have an umpire (usually someone's mate.. but at least it's a person to flick over numbers on a score board!). In 5 years of tournaments, I've never had one issue with a score dispute!

As for the other advice.. drink lots of fluid throughout the day, but as PRW says, don't gulp it down! Also, bananas... as vanjr mentions! They are gold!! I never usually eat lunch on a big tournament day.. try to have a good carb-loading meal the night before, a reasonable breakfast.. and then graze on bananas throughout the day. If my energy levels are low, late in the day.. I'll attack some chocolate and have a coffee, but not at the expense of water/sports drinks.
I'll be 50 next year.. and still have little trouble getting through a big tournament day, even with 4 hours driving thrown in! If you have issues at 24, there's something wrong!!! :o
Good luck mate! :)

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 22:27 
Super User

timeout wrote:
call out the scores and write them down on the score sheet.

Simple but good advise for the first timer. I know in my first tournament I would forget to write down the scores after every match. So good tip.

If you win, be the one to turn in the scorecard. I kid you not a club mate told me about a tourney he was in years ago where he was playing a much higher rated player. My club mate with is unusual style pulled off the upset. The other guy offered to turn in the card. Well it turns out later to find out he marked himself as the winner.... I know I know. How this happens or isn't caught I don't know but still, if you win, turn in the scorecard yourself. Don't leave it up for chance.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 06:20 
Super User

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Unfortunately I am not allowed to advance passed round robin phase of this tournament because I do not have a rating yet, so I won't be bringing home 1275 gold :P.

My long pip game tends to let me dictate what kind of game we will play especially at my level.

I tend to struggle a little bit when it comes to ending a point, but my forehand is really coming a long in this matter since I have started playing with Joo Sae Hyuk blade about two weeks ago.

I also struggle to see weakness in other peoples game while I watch them, and to some degree when I play them as well. I don't really know what to look out for, I am better at avoiding their strengths which is ok.

I'll let you guys know the results when its over, thanks again for advice

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 07:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

blue_smartie68 wrote:
nathanso wrote:
Never let a game proceed without you or your opponent calling out the score before every serve (I can't tell you how many tournament matches I've seen fall into disarray and dispute because the score wasn't being clearly stated throughout).

This is interesting!
Do you guys umpire your own tournament matches in the US?? We always have to have an umpire (usually someone's mate.. but at least it's a person to flick over numbers on a score board!). In 5 years of tournaments, I've never had one issue with a score dispute!

As for the other advice.. drink lots of fluid throughout the day, but as PRW says, don't gulp it down! Also, bananas... as vanjr mentions! They are gold!! I never usually eat lunch on a big tournament day.. try to have a good carb-loading meal the night before, a reasonable breakfast.. and then graze on bananas throughout the day. If my energy levels are low, late in the day.. I'll attack some chocolate and have a coffee, but not at the expense of water/sports drinks.
I'll be 50 next year.. and still have little trouble getting through a big tournament day, even with 4 hours driving thrown in! If you have issues at 24, there's something wrong!!! :o
Good luck mate! :)
Most matches in USA-based tournaments are not umpired at all. Not by an umpire, and not even by an idle player. It's only when the semi finals and finals of the highest groups are played that we see the umpire oversee a game. I believe the USATT rules require that an official umpire be on hand for the tournament, that's all. So players end up self-umpiring their own matches which is why calling out the score is important.

To my previous advice I'll add: It's the winner's job to record the score of the previous game. It's the group winner's job to return the completed score sheet to the scoring table. And don't inadvertently walk off with the table's designated pen or ball!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 00:23 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
OP, do you remember when James Bond got captured by his enemy and asked his captor if he expected james Bond to talk?

The Enemy replied... No Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!!! With a neat gleeful accent of course.

Carry this attitude with you. You are there to win... and have a BLAST. TT tourneys should be more fun than a rock concert. You get to work the heck out, compete and meet a ton of friends and swap gear and war stories.

Tourneys can be the stuff of legends. Talk with as many people as you can, you will have time for it and also maybe to fit in some good practice.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 04:56 
Super User

So, Thanks again for the advice guys. I checked the thread before I left and the James Bond comment really made me laugh. :lol:

I won my group 3-0 in U-1275 and got half my entry fee back, and couldn't advanced because of being unrated. I was warming up with the guy who won the event prior to playing and beat him in a game 3-1. :P

The unrated event looked like a wide open field for me as well, but I ended up talking a friendly acquaintance of mine to play his first tournament. He had been frequenting the club for over a year and hadn't played an event, he beat me in each of our only real contested matches in the unrated even and won the event. He won the match 11-8, 16-14, 11-7. Props to him, I'll have to get him next time. I figure The events I will be playing in the future will just be U-1475, and U-1700. It was fun though and I am looking forward to having a rating.

BTW how and when do I get my rating?