OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: 2013 Badger Open
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 20:07 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Had mostly good results on Sunday, with maybe my worst match of the year mixed in. In Over-40 I was playing great in my first two matches. I was moving well, stepping around to loop all kinds of balls, and hitting a high percentage. Then, against the #2 guy in my round robin (rated 1721) suddenly I couldn't hit a thing. Like the first two guys, he was giving me dead balls, but I kept hitting them long. And I couldn't get a backhand pips hit on the table either. It was so frustrating, I went from playing great to playing terribly. I tried getting points by forcing his misses, because I was so off my attack game. Normally this is a guy I'd be confident to beat 3-0 but because I played so badly I lost 3-2. Probably my worst loss of the year in a tournament. Luckily, I advanced from my group thanks to the guy who beat me losing to the #3 guy in the group and I advanced on a tie breaker. I lost in the quarterfinals to a guy over 2000.

In U-2200 I played well, and ran into some terrible sportsmanship. First match was against a Polish guy rated just above 1900. I've beaten him twice in the past in tournaments and never lost, and each time he complains about my pips. So in the first game he starts right away on the pips. We split the first two games, then in the third game I caught a number of net and edge balls and now he's swearing at me and insulting my game. He's saying things like "you're so good, you're the best player here, that (hitting nets and edges) is your game, that's how you win". I won 12-10 on an edge ball. It's not like I was celebrating the nets and edges. I was apologizing as much as I could, but he wouldn't let up. In the fourth I got up 7-3, then he got on a roll, came back and won 17-15. Between games he was telling me how he was going to win now, how he was just going to attack me and win. He got up 6-1 and I got mad at myself for letting this jerk beat me. I started mixing up my pips shots and controlled loops, came back and won 13-11! He was so pissed, swearing at me again, insulting my game some more. I had so many people come up to me after that game and ask me what his problem is. Then I'm warming up against the fourth seed in our group, he's warming against the top seeded kid and he's still barking at me from the other table. I'm just ignoring him. I beat the fourth seed, then take the 2100 rated kid to a tough match that I lost 3-1. After the group is over he asks me how I did against the kid and I told him it was close 3-1. He starts up again with the "you're so good, you're the best player here" garbage and I just nod my head and walk away. A couple of minutes later he says he wants to talk to me so I agree, thinking maybe he's calmed down and wants to apologize. Nope. He tells me how next time he's just going to attack me and beat me. I just shake my head and tell him maybe he will and walk away. It's funny, I seem to remember a similar statement after the last time I beat him. No class at all and I know everybody watching thought he looked like a jerk because I had them tell me so.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 20:49 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Can't wait for the results. I want to see who this guy is. You are pretty laid back Doug. I could see you just smiling at him. I think I would have handled it differently. Yea, not so pretty.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 20:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow that guys sounds unbelievable dwruck! :n: :n: :n: I'm sure many people would not have handled it as well as you did!

A shame how he gets away with ruining people's days though! :n: :n: :n:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 21:06 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I remember playing a polish guy around 1900 last year over there who didn't like pips. I lost to him 3-1 but he lost to the 3rd seed and we had a three way tie which he won in points...

I wonder if it's the same guy. I could see that guy getting mad and being an idiot like that... Sorry that happened to you Doug but on the plus side you showed some great composure and beat him. Just keep beating him and maybe he will explode :@

That would be fun to watch. ... The exploding part. Not the insulting part.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 04:54 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

LOL, next time I see you guys in person I will tell you who it is. Of course, you'll be able to figure it out when you see the match results and the scores. ;-)

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 23:04 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
Wow, that's an aweful story, Doug! And it was easy to figure out who it was based on the list of players who signed up for the event. :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 23:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
Its always the guy playing with max tenergy 05 that complains about the "cheating pips" the most :lol: :lol:

As if Tenergy or as I now use rasant are not the most over the top rubbers sold and the easiest to loop with!

van

PS If I get a player like that I stop raising a finger or apologizing or nets/edges. If it does on long enough I am liable to let out a huge CHO on one :devil:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 20:00 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Believe me, I thought about celebrating them at one point. I also thought about really telling him off. But then I decided to just take pleasure in the fact that I came back from a 1-6 deficit in game 5 (without the help of nets/edges) to beat him. I knew that would stick in him worse than anything I could say. ;)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 23:38 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
It looks like the video of the final is now posted on youtube:

Unfortunately, it is a little bit too bright or overexposed making it sometimes difficult to see the ball.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 09:07 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Well, good news is the guy rated in the low 1700s that beat me, also beat a guy 1986 so he got readjusted and I didn't lose as much as I thought. In total, I only lost 6 points, it helped that I beat the other 1900 guys that I played. Had a fun vacation, can't wait to get back at it and work on my game. Next tournament up is the 4 star South Shore Butterfly Open in Highland, IN in 3 weeks!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 11:08 
Hard Justice

dwruck, I believe I've met the exact same Polish guy a couple years back playing in U-1800 or some such. He beat me, but he complained about my hardbat the entire time and how "that's your game, using the pips, that's how you win."

That, or the Polish TT players in our general area are just particularly agitated and it was a different dude, which could very well be the case. I've met more than one angry Polish player in my time.

Edit: Lol, I looked our ratings/info, and it looks like it's indeed the same guy. Initials K.P., right? I played him back in 2011 and lost 10,2,-5,10.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 12:01 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

LOL that is the same guy. I think next time I play him and he gets a point I'll say "that's your game, that's how you get points, with that lame inverted junk" :D

I've gotten to know a lot of the Polish guys over the years and while many of them hate playing me due to the pips (I don't know what it is, they just don't do well against pips), most of them still respect my game and are civil. Except this guy. He's just a total jerk about it.

How have you been? I haven't seen you at a tournament lately. Maybe I've just missed seeing you and you've been there. If so I apologize.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 14:40 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Hey Doug you need to point this guy out to me when I see you up at Highland.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 00:42 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I can do that. I know you'd really like it if he acted like that against you in a match, Joe. ;)

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 01:30 
Hard Justice

dwruck wrote:
LOL that is the same guy. I think next time I play him and he gets a point I'll say "that's your game, that's how you get points, with that lame inverted junk" :D

I've gotten to know a lot of the Polish guys over the years and while many of them hate playing me due to the pips (I don't know what it is, they just don't do well against pips), most of them still respect my game and are civil. Except this guy. He's just a total jerk about it.

How have you been? I haven't seen you at a tournament lately. Maybe I've just missed seeing you and you've been there. If so I apologize.

Yeah, I should have told him that I'm the one using technology from 1903; you've had over a hundred years to figure it out!

I haven't been anywhere TT-related in a couple of years, so you didn't miss me, but I'm doing well! :-).

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!