OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Etiquette question
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 07:07 

So I'm playing in my first tournament this weekend, and was wondering how things work during a match. Specifically, I tend to talk a lot when I play, and it's always been second nature to me to say "nice shot" after every good shot my opponent plays. I'll also say things like "that was close!", or "ohhh" if they hit an edge or the net and get the point. It's not like a mental game or anything like that, I'm just friendly during matches. Is this going to be a problem? I really don't know what to expect, and would rather not feel like a total jackass if you know what I mean. Are there any other things regarding good etiquette I should know?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Etiquette question
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 07:42 

I don't think there is anything wrong with being friendly during a match. However, depending on your level and the seriousness of the match, you may find less and less reciprocation. I am fairly similar to you when playing someone I know well, but when playing someone I don't know and with the added intensity of a tournament - I am so focused on playing my absolute best, the comments seem to all but disappear on their own. (except if there are repeated nets and edges - the ooo is a reflex). I don't think your opponents would be mad at you for saying 'nice shot' as long as you didn't expect them to do the same. I would just suggest that you read the body language and if they seem annoyed by it, you may just tone it down a little.

But I say be who you are! There are enough pricks out there, it is truly refreshing when I play a friendly person in a tournament.

-Kevin

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 10:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very good points by Crazy Goat :up:

I would also like to add that you should make sure you don't talk during a point, because that may well result in a warning from the umpire.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 11:53 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
As long as you do not scream CHO at the top of your lungs after every point NOT won by a long rally, like say CHO after a serve receive error... As long as you do NOT do that and prance around after the point, whatever you screw up will be forgivable.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 14:56 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Screaming cho is looked down soon here as unsporting. Most people will congratulate you on a good shot in between points but not everyone responds, doing so isn't a problem. Just not during a point. I find some beggineers say sorry for edge balls way too fast ie before you return them. It doesn't bother me much and I can still focus on adjusting my stroke to return edged balls. They just do it out of habit because players their level don't continue playing edges so you can't be upset.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 22:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I also tend to compliment opponents on their good shots. Its out of friendliness, but I think it also affirms in your (my) mind you were beaten by a good shot and therefore keeps your mental attitude more afloat. Often opponents will say "Thanks" when complimented which tends to show its appreciated. If it seems to be annoying them, then that's their problem for being an ignoramus, so just keep it up :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 03:07 

Yeah, I've definitely been that guy saying sorry for an edge only to have it be returned. same thing with saying "nice shot" thinking I can't get to it, then returning that shot. Otherwise I tend to kind of grunt loudly when I really have to reach for one, or if I try to hit it hard. It's nothing ridiculous, but it's something I'm conscious of. I never cho or even celebrate when I win a point. If it's a good one I just smile. Now that I think about it I usually laugh during matches too, like if an opponent gets a crazy net or drops one really short that I can't get to, or even after a long rally. I don't know, I guess I just don't take myself too seriously, I play the game in the first place because it's fun as hell. The main reason for even playing in a tournament for me is to get a rating and have a gauge of my skill level, that way I can judge my improvement. The big problem is I get pretty nervous in situations like this, so I'm afraid I won't even win a match. Just out of curiosity, how can you become rated if you enter a tournament but don't win any matches? Do you still get a number based on how many points you won?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 05:22 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Jason, there is a double top secret formula used to make both cough syrup and the initial USATT rating for a new player.

Basically, the more points you make vs all players, especially the better ones, will help the initial rating. Don't worry too much what number that comes out to be, when you do a lot of tourneys, the rating will stabilize to the correct rating, unless you either improve or run into a pile of under-rated players. Even then, with more tourneys it works itself out.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 02:45 

So the tournament was yesterday. I did pretty poorly (got beat by a 12 year old my first match, but he's like a 760), but I had a great time! My only regret is not entering more events, because I only got to play 4 matches, and I felt like I was just warming up. I feel like I really didn't "hit" a ball all day, just blocks and pushes, I guess my nerves kinda got the best of me. I won 1 match, and I kept the others pretty close. Overall it was an awesome experience, and I can't wait to do it again. The talking thing was a non-issue thankfully, everyone was really friendly after I got to talk to them for a minute. I'm scared of what my rating will be, I'm guessing pretty low after all that, but you gotta start somewhere I guess. Anyway, thank you guys for the advice, it definitely gave me a better sense of what to expect.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 20:48 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Tournament experience can be a big factor in matches. You'll find that there are players who play really well at clubs in practice matches, but put them in an "official" match and they crumble. Just getting the experience of playing different people with different styles, when something is "on the line" like rating points or the chance to advance in the event, is a big first step. You will learn from the experience, don't ever let your results get you down. Keep in mind that this is for fun, your rating will go up and down, but ultimately you are doing this because it's enjoyable, and if you remember that you will find the results naturally come.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 05:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
I have found erring on the side of being quiet during the match never hurts.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 20:56 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I can be loud at times, but it's always just yelling at myself. And I never celebrate a point unless it's a really great point that ends in a clean winner. NEVER celebrate a net or edge. I also do not like playing against players who are "chatty". That is, they try to have a conversation between every points. In a practice match at the club I don't mind that so much, but in a tournament setting I'm there to compete. Now, I'll talk to you all you want between matches. But during the match, no. Oh, and I have no problem saying "nice shot".

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 00:49 

I definitely am not chatty during a match, but I always talk to the other person afterward. I usually will pick things out about the player that stand out, such as "you've got a really nice backhand", or "your serves really got me!", or something like that. Most everyone at the tournament was really cool to talk to though. I guess my level of "competitiveness" is overshadowed by how much fun I have playing, I don't know. Maybe that will change when I start actually winning, guess we'll see.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 01:29 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Quote:
And I never celebrate a point unless it's a really great point that ends in a clean winner.

Doug, somewhere in my video files I have that amazing point you hit the winner on in our doubles match against Avery/Running (when the game was at deuce), and your celebratory scream afterward. If I can find it and video edit it, can I post it here? :)

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 02:02 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Ha ha ha, Jim, I know exactly the point you're talking about. Feel free to post it if you can find it! To me, that is the perfect example of a point where a loud celebration is acceptable. :)