OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 22:10 

Keen to hear forum members opinions on how they would feel about competing in an important tournament with the following:

Just 12 tables for over 120 players - with the tables in constant use, and every time a table becomes free, there is a mad rush with all sorts of players vying with each other to be able to hit just a couple of balls on the table to see how the tables feel, their speed, hall conditions etc

Players who are not aggressive/don't want to be involved in the pushing mad rush don't even get a chance to get their equipment out of their bags before they are expected to play a competitive match. This means that you have not even FELT the ball a single time on your raquet before you are expected to play, with the token one minute on the table.))

Your thoughts, and would this be a scenario you would expect to see in a major tournament?

PS - I know for a fact that elite players and pros (if anyone should be able to step up to the table and just play without any warm up, its them) NEVER play a competitive match without at least 45 minutes warm up. Usually they do more...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 02:14 

I just played in the Arnold Classic in Columbus, OH yesterday and ran into this issue. In the middle of the day, there were several tournaments running at the same time and with 22 tables, there were none to be had for warming up. However, one of the round-robin stage finished and cleared up space in time for me to get a half hour to get going.

It wasn't the director's fault at all - They are limited in space and then about 40% more people signed up this year compared to last year. They handled it well and ran very close to on-time. The only downside is that there was almost no time for pick-up games on the side unless you were there very early or very late.

It sounds slightly better than your situation, but I also the aggressive table snatching you referred to.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 07:27 

CG - I completely agree and sympathise with you, as have felt it. However, in the case I describe, even a few SECONDS of table time was unavailable!)) and this was not just any tournament, this was the national championships of a major European nation we are talking about... I was so disgusted with the set up I just walked out, despite having travelled all day to get there.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 09:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
This is one of the reasons I've all but stopped playing tournaments. That, and the poor playing-to-waiting ratio, especially when one makes it to the playoff rounds.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 11:11 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Agree. I lose poorly in one of the tournament I have joined due to lack of proper warm up. I only peaked on the middle of 3rd set but its too late.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 21:00 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
At most tournaments I attend, there aren't tables set aside for warm-up. Generally at the bigger tournaments there are a couple of tables that aren't being used for competition, but it's tough to get on them. That just makes it important to arrive at the venue before play officially starts, even if your event doesn't start until later in the day, and get a warm-up in when it's possible.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 22:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Fortunately there are only 2 venues like this, out of around 6 that I might play tournaments at in a year. Unfortunately one of them is my own club, even though we have 16 tables (which gets cut to 15 for tournaments as seating gets set up on one court). Usually some free time opens up later in the day though. The other venue only has 9 tables and is running at near 100% usage all day long. If you manage to get seeded and get some easier matches early on, this can help (unless you get someone unrated who is better than the seeds :headbang: ).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.