OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 00:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Cobalt wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
That's if he wants to, or even goes to Ballarat. He's been in hospital for the weekend with probes and stuff on him trying to figure out some unknown issue. Its a month away, so I hope it sorted, cos without him, I won't be at Ballarat either.

Sorry Reb but you weren't exactly a lock in last time it was brought up. Just don't think I can do it. Its more than a day trip for me and costs about $500 with accommodation, fuel, entry, meals etc. A bit soon.

Fair point mate. I should have updated that he is ok. Turned out to be nothing serious. He thinks his doc over-reacted. Circumstances have conspired on us hey!

That is a fair old whack to play a tournament. I see why its a bit soon. Let's see what happens next year. Maybe we can communicate on it a bit better ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 18:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Ballarat Vets tomorrow. My first tourney of the year (maybe the only?). Wish me luck ;) :devil:

Jeanc did you end up entering? Hoping so.

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of friends I haven't seen in quite a while. I'm sad that Cobalt can't make it as I'd have very much enjoyed meeting him, but I'm sure it will happen one day. Also a damn shame Haggisv hasn't entered...now that would have made my day too! :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 21:47 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
All the best reb, I'm getting to know a few there so interested to see your results.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 06:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Cobalt wrote:
All the best reb, I'm getting to know a few there so interested to see your results.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate. I had some sleep and I'm up and almost ready to go, so that's a good start :lol:

Might have to see if I can post a tapatalk during the day ;)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 09:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Might have to see if I can post a tapatalk during the day ;)

Good luck Reb! :rock: :rock: :rock:
A picture of the stadium would be nice too. I think a lot of people don't appreciate how nice the venue is.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 09:35 

Blade: Re-Impact Smart
FH: Hellfire OX
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.7mm
Good luck Reb, I didn't enter at the end.
Hope to see some video of you kicking some @&*-

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 20:39 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

I see the ratings central points are up but there's no 'Reb' there so can't see how you went or who you played.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Wow, what a day!

Didn't have the chance to video or tapatalk. Barely had time to eat! I would have taken a pic of the stadium if I had gotten on to tapatalk. I seemed to be on the go all day. Only just got home.

Didn't have the most successful day, but I played lots of matches and had plenty of tough ones.

To start out, I played O40's doubles with my old mate Sahmaniac. We won our first match easily 3-0 (against FZambetta and his partner, who I later beat 3-0 with some difficulty :^) ). Our second match was against another Dandy player and his ex-Dandy player partner. These guys took it right up to us. They took the first set 13-11. We took the 2nd, 11-7. They took the 3rd 13-11. They were then 10-8 up on us in the 4th and ending our campaign there and then. We got a point to be 10-9. Then a long rally came to test everyone's metal. I got pushed way back off the table and hit a chop from about 10-12 feet. I land it on top of their side of the net and it scoots down and under the opponents bat. :whew: We go on to win 12-10 and into a 5th set. We win that more easily at 11-5.

A short time later we get the call for our next doubles. This one is up against some serious competition. Players rated 1670 and 1410 against me at 1190 and Sahmaniac at 1440. I saw our chances finishing right here. To my complete surprise we won the 1st set, 11-8. I was agog when we won the 2nd set 11-4. When they won the 3rd set 11-7, I saw them getting their game together and settled. The 1670 player has an insane ability to hit FH's and particularly BH's so fast that getting a bat near them was impossible. But to my delight, when he hit my pip returns, he hit almost every one of them long (which is how we won the 11-4). The 4th set is tight and they lead 9-7, but the 1670 player is receiving my serve. He attacks one of my short underspin serves, clips the net and goes long. I serve the same serve and he pushes it and Sahm hits a BH across court BH to BH and its 9 all. The rest is a blur, all I recall is we won it 11-9. Turns out this was the semi-final and we're into the final. That's the good news. The bad news is the other half of the draw hasn't played a single match. The worse news is the 2 strongest teams in the other half consist of a 2000 and a 1590 player in one team, and a 1560 and 1410 player in another. The doubles go to back of mind though as its not happening until much later.

So next up I play the O40's singles and first player is a 1500 player. This turns out to be what I consider my match of the day. The player is tough and highly respected by anyone who knows him, even players higher rated than him find him very tough. I played him about 3 or 4 years ago in the Vets and got an 11-9 in one set. In the first set today , I was on fire. I hit everything right and beat him 11-2. Ok, that felt like a fluke, but when I won the 2nd set 11-4 I felt I might actually win this. He got going in the third set though and stopped me playing quit the game I'd been playing. I trailed him most the set and he was 10-8 up, when I brought it back to deuce! His experience and momentum gained though, saw him over the line at 12-10. The next 2 sets went in similar fashion, except he pulled away and won them 11-7 each. ;( Taking this guy to 5 was amazing. Taking the first 2 sets the way I did and almost winning it in 3 was incredible. I mean this guy would play in the top grade of just about any club you care to mention (in Australia). Losing it was a disappointment, but getting so close was an achievement. He knew he'd gotten off the hook of a huge rating point loss.

I played a lefty who I played a few years back and lost in 5 after he got a crucial edge at 6 all and then some more luck to get him an 11-9 win. He's rated 1400. Today I took a set off him and pushed him to the edge of the others.

Next, for the first time in competition I played PingpongRob! Rob's game was silky smooth, as it should be for someone rated a smidge under 1500. His FH and BH loops came at me with pace and he re-looped my reversing pip returns without trouble. He beat me like 11-3 and 11-6 in the first sets. In the 3rd set I put the wind up him leading about 8-5, but he pulled it together and closed me out 11-9.

I played about 4 or 5 more singles matches winning those I should and then losing those I should, except for two. One I won against someone rated a little more than me and lost one. And the one I lost that I shouldn't have (according to ratings) was against a returning player who was way underrated. I beat him in the first 2 sets. He had MP on the BH and missed enough of his BH drives with it to let my game take him, at 7 and 9. But after that he got his eye in and attacked relentlessly from both wings, landing most shots, and tore me apart with 2, 3 and 6. He went on to win the final.

So all that was left now was the O40's doubles final, and as expected it was against the 2000 player, Danny Semmler and his partner. Danny is a class player who wins leading player in Dandenong's A1 division most seasons. He also plays at other clubs and doesn't get beaten too often. His partner is no slouch either. Both of them rated miles above me and Sahm. In the first set, we set the world on fire and got them worried....for a while. We won the first point, and then on the 2nd point Danny (who is a lefty) hit a fast loop (almost a smash) from their FH side to ours. Instinctively, I jumped in swinging at hit the perfect smash down the line to their BH side for a winner. There was quite a few jaws drop in the onlookers and the opponents. It was one of those shots that makes you love this game. We kept at them out to a 5-2 lead, but the quality from these guys wasn't to be held down. We made it to 9-7, but that's where it finished as they won 11-9. We lost the next set 11-6, and then about 11-3 in the final set. Still, this is the highest level doubles I've ever come runner-up in. :rock: :party: And the prizemoney for it made it quite a reasonably priced day for the number of matches I played :lol:

So, while I lost 33 points off my rating today (due to the underrated player I lost to), there was a lot of satisfying TT in the day for me. Very tired now of course, but it was nice to play a Vets again after a 15 month hiatus.

Arlene asked where you were Cobalt, as she was expecting to see you. And we both agreed Haggisv should have travelled over for the day :P :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Cobalt wrote:
I see the ratings central points are up but there's no 'Reb' there so can't see how you went or who you played.

I think there's enough detail in my post to work it out :P :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:50 

Blade: Re-Impact Smart
FH: Hellfire OX
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.7mm
That sounds like a great day of table tennis!

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 23:35 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

Yes, there is :devil:

One thing I took away from this - looking at AUS RC ratings and comparing them to US ones is pretty much meaningless - you seem to be rated quite closely to me in RC right now, and I am way underrated there, since we only have one RC tournament a year (I should be ~1400RC if I were to judge by other players in my area with well-established USATT ratings). In my area as a rule of thumb USATT=RC+350 or so, less at the higher levels.

Anyway - looks like you had a very satisfying TT day, congrats!

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 14:14 
I am Legend
I am Legend

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

I got confused, so looked up rob, looked at your fb - then got confused again. :D

:clap:
Good job reb. Some agonizingly close matches there. I know that feeling well ;(

I just looked at that underrated player. How on earth did he get inserted into the system with an initial rating of 230??

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 14:25 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

pgpg wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

Yes, there is :devil:

One thing I took away from this - looking at AUS RC ratings and comparing them to US ones is pretty much meaningless - you seem to be rated quite closely to me in RC right now, and I am way underrated there, since we only have one RC tournament a year (I should be ~1400RC if I were to judge by other players in my area with well-established USATT ratings). In my area as a rule of thumb USATT=RC+350 or so, less at the higher levels.

Anyway - looks like you had a very satisfying TT day, congrats!

Thanks mate! To be honest, ratings in general don't hold a lot of water. Its what happens when 2 people come up against each other that count. Styles, technique and ingenuity count for as much or more as ratings do. An ounce more luck yesterday and I'd have beaten the 1500 player and I'd have gained back 100 points or more. Instead in the last 2 tournaments I've played I've lost 3 matches closely to underrated players that took me down 150+ points. I don't play enough rated events to have a true rating come out for me. And the rated events I do play, are in the daytime when I'm hugely fatigued. I play much better at night. But my club doesn't enter results for ratings.

What's ironic is that I got booted out in round 3 of Division 3 yesterday, yet made the final of the Open O40's doubles :lol:
And I held up my end of the matches we played to get us there (we certainly wouldn't have made it if I didn't, although my partner also held up his end well too). Division 3 and the Open are worlds apart though. And I had hurt my knee in round 2 of Div 3 making movement much harder. Luckily we'd already wo :whew: :lol: n the semi of the doubles

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 14:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Silver wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

I got confused, so looked up rob, looked at your fb - then got confused again. :D

:clap:
Good job reb. Some agonizingly close matches there. I know that feeling well ;(

I just looked at that underrated player. How on earth did he get inserted into the system with an initial rating of 230??

:lol: Silver, I'm the king of confusion!

I have no idea how he started with 230 as a rating. He played A1 at Croydon a few years back. Admittedly it wasn't as strong as it is now, but it was still A1 at a major Victorian Club. He was on a rating of 1250 apparently in the old TTV system, which is pretty respectable (higher than I ever got). And he plays B1 at Ballarat! With this knowledge I expected a fairly easy ride to start, but soon learnt it was not. But having secured the first 2 sets figured I was going ok. But then he just stepped up about 10 levels in the 3rd set and left me in his dust!

I learned after the match B1 at Ballarat is their old A2, and the competition there has grown much stronger than what Oskar used to describe. Having player Oskar easily (who was A3), you can see why I held no fear for a B1 player :lol: :punch:

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 15:18 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Overall I'm pretty happy with the ratings and how they work. I've found that when I've played people outside of our club, I beat 90% of people I'm rated higher than and lose to 90% I'm lower than. Thats probably the ratio at my own club too, roughly. Realistically I think that between clubs, tournaments etc, there can be discrepencies of about 200pts ie a 850 player at my club might be equal to a 1050 somewhere else, which may seem like a lot however its always the case that when you beat someone better, you tend to think that they are rated too high or you too low, you don't actually think that you played well or that they were off, at least I don't. I think, they weren't that good, rating must be out.

With a 200 point variation, it might mean that you are perhaps one div too higher or low which isn't too bad, but if we had no ratings, imagine the chaos. The key to me, is that the tournament organisers do a bit of homework on the unrated players. Nothing more annoying than having someone come in at the lowest division with no rating and then blitz and win easily.

This happened to me last year when I was in the lowest division (4) for under 850pts and first round I got knocked out by a player who was unrated, he won easily without dropping a game then went on to get to the semis in Div 3 and Quarters of div2. The organisers do a lot of work and I go out of my way to thank them every time however surely they could do a little homework to find out how good someone is if a first time entrant. Its also the entrants responsibility to make sure they are in the right group. Of course some people are just looking for an easy win, which incidently I dont' think that this guy was, he was just a bit ignorant.

When I was cycling handicapper I used to try very hard to get some info about someone to put them in the right bunch. Nothing worse than having several people that may have never won a race despite being riding for years and a new person comes along and wins first time out due to bad handicapping.

It is unfortunatley just one of those things and there is alway going to be one or two that get through the cracks but overall sounds like you did pretty well Reb. I'm looking forward to seeing the full results if they come out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!