OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 May 2008, 22:14 

The Table Tennis Victoria Super League is underway and 3 rounds have been played. The League features some of Australia's best players as well as a swag of up and coming young guns.

There is a new website for the TTV Super League. It is still under construction so not all of the links are up and running yet. However you can see all the results, player profiles and a great new weekly column by Simon Gerada about the League. Here is the latest from Simon about the League:

Let me set the scene..

You’re trailing 8 – 3 and two sets down in a best of five match. You’re realising you’re about to lose, realising you may have thought wrong when you imagined beating your opposition before the start of the match. Your heart sinks and you’re too emotional to continue to think clearly, another point is lost and you are almost done, defeated and you start to cry. You’re 14 years old and winning is all that counts. You have passion, grit and determination but not the skill or experience to win today’s match. You walk off the court embarrassed enough to be aware of the situation but not enough to care. All you care about is the loss, the fact you did not win is all that really matters. “You played well” says the spectator, who has seen it all before and known’s you’ll be back for more.

I was once asked, what is the best part of playing big matches?

"The fear of not knowing an outcome, you wait for that match to come and you start thinking will I win? The thought of not knowing a result, is what really motivates me."

As a kid, you try your hardest, you try anything! You dare to try, you dare to win and you sometimes dare the impossible. You’ll win some and you’ll lose some but ultimately each match you play teaches you to choose your battles more carefully. It’s like the kid that jumps off the monkey bars without thinking twice, one day he hurts himself and thinks about it every time he is in a similar position. Losing a match does the same thing when you have passion.

This week’s Super League was all passion.

Fifteen year-old Jesse Bricknell defeated both Andrew Gilbert and Dennis Makaling, Andrew Gilbert unsure of how he lost to Jesse Bricknell but that's another story for another day, Nakeisha Leo in tears after her loss to Melissa Tapper ( True passions shown from young Nakeisha), a good win from Danny Semiler defeating Chamara Fernando, Fernando is a National Team player, he doesn't like to lose, its a win you would always take.

But then there is the flip side, the side that the athlete has had his lessons over the years to get the job done today, like Melissa Tapper defeating Simone Chua, Jeff Plumb defeating Jesse Bricknell, Shibaji Datta defeating Chamara Fernando, Robert Frank and David Powell, but these win only came because of passion. If you dare to win for long enough and one day it becomes fun, fun to know you might win but if you lose I'll be ok with it.

Passion in sport is the greatest lesson you can have; it teaches you to train harder, teaches you to learn more and teaches you to trust yourself but most of all it will take you to a greater place in sport if you keep at it....

Well done to all our Super League players who are fighting hard, taking the wins with the losses, daring to achieve and daring to compete on the centre stage in Victoria’s premiere Table Tennis League.

Table Tennis Coaching, Tips, Lessons & DVDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 09:17 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
A very promising website. I hope it would feature a lot of thoughts and tips as to how our top players think and their journey to better their game.

There were some fine matches held yesterday at the Ballarat Junior/Senior Open and seeing them in competition was such a sight. So much power and finesse.

We won the Division 4 doubles. But I was so disappointed to losing in the first round of the Division 4 Singles to a kid who I beat last year from Country Week Table Tennis Tournament. These kids improved so fast.

Anyway each match you play, win or lose, you learn something from it. Sometimes you deserve to lose, but other times you wonder why you lost. Ah well, on to the next tournament.