OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 12:25 
Super User

Over the last 2 months I have played 2 big events out of my town, One in Timaru 2 hours out of my Town, I played the South Island Teams event I played in the two person Vets teams, Competition was not as strong as in the past my team did win with no loses in matches or games. The next day was the South Canterbury Open, much stronger then in the past because of the Tourney the day before. I felt I played well and was happy with my results, I did have a shock loss to an 73 yr old looper, who I could not get to grips with his very fast over the table looping, But I did to play him again and won 3-0. I only lost 2 games overall I lost in the semis of the Open. I did some good chopping and did a 3-1 games down 6-1 points down to came back to won in the 7th. I did beat another LP player who chops and blocks. I played lots of rolling then hitting with LP. I was lucky enough to won over 40 and 50 singles and doubles, very happy.

And I just got back last night from Nelson Open, 6 hours drive through snow and bad weather to find not as strong as normal. I played well but not many looper to chop against mainly hitters which are much harder to chop against. I played 7 events ( too many ) and made all the finals, I gave a great display of chopping in the One final and 50 final and Open semi. But after nearly 20 matches I was stuffed.

It is hard to play events where you get a very easy game first round then a really hard one next, very cold as well between 5 to 6 degrees. I always prefer to play against looper those hitters are hard to chop.

Not really skiting but more let you all know what my TT life is like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 16:53 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

You got a video of your tourney? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 08:09 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Wow, that's quite a drive, especially through bad weather. I think the farthest I've ever driven was about 4 hours, some of that thanks to the lousy traffic going through Chicago.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 08:47 
Super User

No so keen on Vids I always play like a leaper when I film myself play I get so self conscience that I do not even play like I normally do.

If you have found my youtube stuff you can see for yourself.

Greggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 10:02 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Greggy, congratulation for two great and very tired tournaments.

Boy, you guys are great, driving snow and long hours to play tournaments, I am ashamed.

Actually, I like to chop against hitters more than loopers because I don't have to bend way down there.

Thanks for the update.

Tat

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 10:17 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Great results Greggy!

Tell me, when you go in a match, what goes on in your head? Do you tell yourself "I'm going to win this" or something like "play your best".... how do you keep the motivation going?

I have a hard time with this, it's like after putting in a good performance for 2 or 3 rounds, it's like I'm not so psyched up anymore.... and then I don't have the drive or determination to get to the end....

The farthest we've driven for a tournament is about 1 1/2 hours away, this year we plan to make it to Mornington Peninsula for the Veterans Event (about 2 hours drive).

How long have you been doing tournaments Greggy? I realize that one has to put in the hours for practice to develop our skills in all the strokes as well as being consistent about it. But how does one go about developing mental toughness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 10:49 
Super User

Cheers, As my son has started playing again we do some good father and son bonding. Trapped in a car on a long trip is one of the few times Son's will talk deeply to their dad's. I do some counselling for life skills, business mentoring and bringing up teenagers, and this is one of the things I tell parents to do get in the car for a big trip and after an hour you will get to hear what they are up to and how life is really going.

Since I started playing TT 7 years ago I have always gone to lots of tournaments, I remember well the evolution of tournament success, first events you lose first round badly then get knocked out of plate first round, then you win 1 round in plate then after a while you win the plate, then you make it to main draw, lose early then work your way through the main draw to make some finals then if you work hard win some titles. Does this sound familiar.

Mental toughness is a huge part of TT, I am still working on techniques to keep me focused and keen to win, We can all remember games we lost because we were unhappy about something during the game and we gave in and just wanted to leave the table as soon as possible.

Here is short list of tips I use or have been told ( in no order )

Take your time between points, do not rush to get the ball and fault serve.

later later softer softer, ( if a chopper )

Count you returns as the end of the game approaches, will focus you way from end of game panic.

Do not think about " the what if ", if I win ..., If I lose ..., play in the now tell yourself "this point", or now or some other key word to bring you back to now. How often have you been planing your victory speech to find you lost.

Always back yourself, say I am better than this I can win.

Take your towel brakes, breath 3 strong breathes,

Do not keep looking at the score board, keep thinking it's 3 all.

Focus away from the game, by picking a spot, like the clock or a poster and make yourself look at it, end of each serve change over.

Do not be rushed by the speed of play, stay at your pace, take your 1 minute between games.

Quote:
Tell me, when you go in a match, what goes on in your head? Do you tell yourself "I'm going to win this" or something like "play your best".... how do you keep the motivation going?
I try to think about give the crowd a great display of TT, chopping smooth and hope win or lose people will think wow he looked good chopping. I often tell the umpire that I can beat this person but just watch the lovely chopping. Take the pressure off you to win, that way you play your game and can feel you did you best.

Any feed back welcome.

Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 11:45 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Greggy wrote:
No so keen on Vids I always play like a leaper when I film myself play I get so self conscience that I do not even play like I normally do.

I get the idea, I sort of do the same. Maybe if some friend would be willing to secretly video, it'll work. :lol:

I think that 3-all score board tip could help a bit on the end-game choking I seem to have. :oops:

As for games, I find that thinking critically for each and every point works well-- just that you have to have the mental endurance/concentration for it. I's like I streak to a 5 point lead, just to lose the lead as quickly.

Do you do relaxation techniques during tournaments? What works for you?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!